Setting up Wireless Lan with AOL Dialup? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Wireless Lan with AOL Dialup?

AAshooter
07-11-2004, 20:26
Has anyone done this? I am interested in setting this up with a desktop and WAP. The desktop can be wired but am interested in sharing the connection with a laptop with with wireless NIC.

I am interested in how you set this up to work with AOL and what equipment you used.

Thanks.

Tennessee Slim
07-11-2004, 20:53
For my home system I have POTS (plain old telephone service, AKA dial-up) thru Earthlink. Who the ISP is makes no difference.

If you have a laptop with built-in WiFi, you can do it with just a WiFi NIC for the desktop (but it will be an unsecure connection).

Install the wireless NIC in your desktop. Enable Internet connection sharing (ICS) on your AOL connection. When you do, it will change the IP address on your NIC to 192.168.0.1. You can also enable ‘Establish a dial-up connection whenever ….’ if you want the desktop automatically to connect to AOL whenever the laptop tries to access the Internet.

On your laptop, configure the TCP/IP properties for its WiFi NIC. Set the IP address to 192.168.0.xxx, the netmask to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway to 192.168.0.1.

If you want a secure connection, you’ll have to get a proper WAP, such as a WiFi router. That’s how I’m set up. A NIC on my desktop is connected by RJ45 to a WiFi router/WAP. I have a laptop and a PDA that I use throughout the house.

gudel
07-11-2004, 23:58
sharing connection over dial up ? probably not worth the trouble.

Tennessee Slim
07-12-2004, 08:06
Originally posted by gudel
sharing connection over dial up ? probably not worth the trouble.
It is if it's all the Internet you've got.

Anyway, that's what I took AAshooter to mean when he said he was on AOL. If you've advanced to hi-speed Internet, I'd presume you're ready to loose the training wheels (no offense intended, AAshooter).

gudel
07-12-2004, 10:32
he's in California, we're not backwoods around here. i suspect he has to have somekind of alternatives! ;f
CA leads the nation in broadband (http://www.aeanet.org/Publications/idet052203_Broadband2003California.asp)

go to practicallynetworked, they have this information you seek.

AAshooter
07-15-2004, 07:38
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Clearly broadband is preferred but that may not be possible for a while.

As far as sharing the bandwidth, it is really a situation where you would us the desktop or the laptop for portability. So it would really be a situation where two users would be sharing the bandwidth.

starglocks
07-15-2004, 08:35
AOL may be a problem here - with broadband you have to use AOL-compatible routers and install special port software from AOL to manage the router administratively (router userid and password!)

Hope it works out.... I've done this before with Earthlink and it was better than nothing