sounds like nonsense but I'm asking you... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : sounds like nonsense but I'm asking you...

antediluvianist
07-12-2004, 07:38
Mang Buboy, one of the staff at Northstar- he has been around and knows how to shoot pretty well/lubricate etc. - anyway, he claims that he has seen .357 cylinders destroyed by the use of .38 special reloads. He believes .38 reloads are not very high quality and are not up to specs, so bounce around a bit inside the chamber when fired and the bullet rattles down the barrel.

Well, offhand I think he is either ignorant about the fact that a .357 is definitely supposed to fire .38 special too (how could he not know that?), or he's trying to get me to buy factory .38 and .357 ammo,which costs quite a lot more than the .38 reloads.

Just a question to you guys :any of you have experienced damage to your .357 mag gun from firing local .38 special reloads? Do let me know. Thanks.

ogiebb
07-12-2004, 07:46
no pun intended for Mang Buboy but "if" the .38 has the same bullet diameter at the .357 why would it rattle inside the barrel..

doctabako
07-12-2004, 07:49
Nope, the most that happens is that after shooting the .38 specials exclusively for 100 or so rounds its hard to insert a .357 magnum round in the cylinder because of all the crud that builds up at the front part of the cylinder due to the shorter .38 special round Nothing a good cleaning won't address.:)

bulm540
07-12-2004, 18:42
I have had no problems shooting .38 specials in my 357 model 13. ou just have to clean it as what doktabato mentioned.

paltik45
07-12-2004, 21:54
BOUNCING in the cylinder;Q ......That is something new to me;e I think you need to ask him first if he had drugs or he probably put whisky in his coffee.;g Well you can use .38special in .357mag but not in reverse because the later has a higher pressure level. I've seen a blown up .38cal cylinder and a forehead with eleven stitches.......NASTY ;Q

Hey BULM540 do you happen to be close to Memphis? I was there last 4th of july with my wife and college friends.

bulm540
07-13-2004, 06:43
199 miles from Memphis. I am in the Nashville Area. Any of you guys pass through Mashville, let me know and I'll bring you to a local match. We have a match on the 2nd and 4th weekend.

FAlvar
07-13-2004, 08:50
So THAT'S what that rattling sound is...;P

My 357s see an awful lot of home brewed 38 LHBWC. Hey, with only 3 grains of powder, a # of Titegroup lasts forever! No problems with this very safe practice.

Politely tell him he's full of ****** and then tell his boss what Mang Buboy is doing. It's bad enough that the man on the street doesn't know jack about guns outside of what he sees in the popular media. We don't need our own propagating falsehoods.:(

rhino465
07-13-2004, 13:12
It's possible to use charges so low in .38 spl cases that you can get flashovers and "explosions" that quite energetic.

mc_oliver
07-13-2004, 20:38
Totally noob question guys. An officemate has a Taurus Model 85UL.

1. When the gun is pointed up, is it normal for the bullets to "fall out" of the rear of the cylinders? With dummy ammo, pointed like this, the cylinder binds when dry fired in this position.

2. There seems to be a timing issue with this gun. Once in a while during firing the cylinder doesn't rotate completely over to the next round. It ends up in between the new round and the recently fired one. Is this easy to fix?

Thanks a lot.