ram memory [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ram memory

BlackPaladin
07-14-2004, 22:12
I need to upgrade my computers ram memory. right now I have 64mb and I have two slots so I can assume that each stick that is 32mb. I would like at least 128mb. If someone has anything laying around and they would like to sell it I would be interested.

Anon1
07-14-2004, 22:30
I probably have some.

Can you be any more specific on the type of RAM that you need?

Better yet, what is the make/model of the PC? If it is an off-brand generic white box rig then what make/model of motherboard is in it?

Originally posted by BlackPaladin
I need to upgrade my computers ram memory. right now I have 64mb and I have two slots so I can assume that each stick that is 32mb. I would like at least 128mb. If someone has anything laying around and they would like to sell it I would be interested.

David_G17
07-14-2004, 22:31
you may need to check your motherboard first. there's a maximum amount it can hold (128 may be beyond that limit, but i doubt it), and there are different types of RAM.

look on your RAM sticks and see if a sticker or anything on it says something like "PC100" or "PC133".

the easiest way i have found is to go to this site:
http://www.crucial.com/index.asp

and select the computer you have, and see what type of RAM they recommend.

BlackPaladin
07-20-2004, 15:53
Well its a gateway motherboard. 350mhz pentium 2, I built it from parts so it really is kind of a mutt of a computer but it works pretty good. I am guessing that it has the 133 ram because I know it doesnt use the really old stuff but its too old for the ddr ram (i think)

Texas T
07-20-2004, 19:04
I realize that this is splitting hairs, but saying that you need RAM memory is like saying you need a hard drive drive. ;f

bgcc11
07-20-2004, 19:28
133 wasn't around during P2.

BlackPaladin
07-20-2004, 22:11
Well I obviously don't know crap about computers but if anyone could help me find the right memory sticks I would really appreciate it

nothing
07-20-2004, 23:05
It's probably either PC66 or PC100. Slight chance it could be EDO.

Hando
07-20-2004, 23:41
Originally posted by BlackPaladin
Well I obviously don't know crap about computers but if anyone could help me find the right memory sticks I would really appreciate it

how about you post a photo of the memory?

sdakota
07-21-2004, 00:04
BlackPaladin:

The easiest way would be to pull out one of your RAM sticks and compare it to the pictures
AT THIS SITE (http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6255-1058485.html) .

You can get a general idea of the RAM type by comparing the notches on the bottom. (The exact position of those notches is very important when you are ready to buy more memory, however).

I'm betting your memory will match Figure B (SIMM) or C (DIMM).

As David_G17 recommended, you also need to check to see how much RAM is allowed on your motherboard. (I recently had the displeasure of working on a Pentium machine which used the i430VX chipset which has a maximum of 64 MB !)

It may help to download Belarc Advisor here. (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html)

It's free, very easy to use and quite informative.

This won't ID the RAM types, but will tell you the name of the chipset on the motherboard (look under "Main Circuit Board" after you run it).

This will help to ID the RAM limits and RAM type.

Hope this helps,
Greg

nothing
07-21-2004, 00:24
If I remember correctly the i430VX would only recoginize 64MB per bank. It would max at 128MB with 2 64MB sticks. Not that that's much better.

sdakota
07-21-2004, 02:31
nothing - Oh yeah, that's right! Good catch !

It could only cache a max of 64MB, so it actually ran worse with 128MB installed than with 64MB.

I guess I "remembered" that 64MB was as much as should be installed.

Thanks for straightening that out !