Remote Computer Administration [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remote Computer Administration

renman
07-15-2004, 06:58
Any suggestions for a program to connect to my branch office computers ? I'd like to be able to check and run Windows Update, A/V updates, look at files, etc.

Thanks

HammerG26
07-15-2004, 07:57
VNC Viewer is free and works well. You can also configure Netmeeting, as well as Remote Desktop with Windows.

chevrofreak
07-15-2004, 08:27
VNC Viewer works great if there are no firewalls between you and the host computer. I have it on all of my computers and it saves me a ton of stair climbing when I have to fix something on one of them.

ronin_asano
07-15-2004, 09:16
Originally posted by renman
Any suggestions for a program to connect to my branch office computers ? I'd like to be able to check and run Windows Update, A/V updates, look at files, etc.

Thanks

2k server?

install terminal server in admin mode.

xp workstation/server, enable the rdp client

2k workstation, you'll have add some software.

Tennessee Slim
07-15-2004, 09:48
VNC is da bomb. I administer UNIX servers from a Windblows workstation using the same GUI as I use when at the server. Saves me from being locked in the server room all day. Check out Real VNC, Tight VNC, Tridia VNC, Ultr@ VNC; all are freeware and maintained by open source crowd. You can even run ‘em thru SSH if you need to.

The mother church is here: www.realvnc.com

Believe it or don’t, I also have VNC on my PDA, allowing me to do limited server maintenance wirelessly while stuck in some pointless meeting or other. Is that geek chic or what?

NetNinja
07-15-2004, 10:40
I agree VNC is very very cool.
Plus it's free!! Well sort of.

Allthoguh I had to punch a hole in my firewall to allow it to administer my Windows 2003 server.

If it was a Linux server I could run it through SSH.

My other way to administering servers is to enable a VPN and then when I am connected use pcanywhere.

I suppose I could do the same thing for VNC and close the hole in my firewall.

physicsdevil
07-16-2004, 23:22
VNC is barely more secure than telnet. Though the logon password is encrypted, the session isn't. The only way VNC should be used is over SSH (or similar method).