Considering purchase of a remanufactured PC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Considering purchase of a remanufactured PC

The Pontificator
07-15-2004, 19:37
From Gateway or Dell.

I'm happy with my present printer, speakers, monitor, and keyboard but it's time to get something newer and faster in the tower.

I also don't have a lot of cash to throw around.

Does anyone have any experiences with buying a refurb from one of these companies?

berniew
07-15-2004, 20:03
We buy Dell all the time new and for the most part I've been happy. I'm curious (especially with the deals available) why are you considering used?

Originally posted by The Pontificator
From Gateway or Dell.

I'm happy with my present printer, speakers, monitor, and keyboard but it's time to get something newer and faster in the tower.

I also don't have a lot of cash to throw around.

Does anyone have any experiences with buying a refurb from one of these companies?

The Pontificator
07-15-2004, 21:03
Originally posted by berniew
I'm curious (especially with the deals available) why are you considering used?

Just seems like you get more bang for the buck.

berniew
07-15-2004, 21:11
Originally posted by The Pontificator
Just seems like you get more bang for the buck.

Give me an idea of what you want to spend and specs and I'll see if I can find a new Dell for that price...

grantglock
07-15-2004, 23:01
i bought one from gateway, saved a few hundred bucks by getting a reman.

Tennessee Slim
07-16-2004, 09:39
Iíve bought scads of refurb computer components and Iíve only bought one item that didnít perform as well as new. That was a Belkin WAP (for that and other reasons, Iím sworn off anything Belkin). Anyway, itís my belief that most returned computer components are only affected with PICNIC errors (problem in chair, not in computer). Thereís nothing wrong with them except the buyer was too technically challenged to figure out how to use them.

In fact, I recommend to all my friends who want the cheapest decent computer to buy a reman Dell. Especially for people who might need telephone support, you canít touch their price.

Dells are the only PCs that Consumer Reports ranked above Apples. Gateway was a wonder in the 90s but theyíre sliding now.

David_G17
07-16-2004, 09:39
look into building your own. it's so simple that if you do it, you'll never buy one preassembled again.

cheapest place to buy parts is http://newegg.com

you can reuse many parts from your current computer (i.e. cd-rom, floppy drive, maybe the case and power supply, etc.)

Tennessee Slim
07-16-2004, 10:14
I can't build one as cheaply as Dell sells them for. Or maybe I should say won't. Part of the reason is I won't scrimp on components and Dell will. They're happy building PCs that are just 'passable'; I'm not.

Some people donít put a lot of demand on their hardware and could get along just fine with a low-end Dell. I put considerable stress on my PCs and Iíd melt a low-end Dell within days. Even when Iím building for others, I build for power users.

In truth, building a PC is very easy. You can buy components online (I prefer pricewatch.com but NewEgg.com has very good prices and a reputation for excellent customer service) and DIY for half or less the cost of a retail PC.

But the fact I keep coming back to is that someone who asks another's advice about which PC to buy is more likely to benefit from a 24/7 tech support line.

Dells prices fluctuate and when they're low, they're damned low.

berniew
07-16-2004, 19:38
Originally posted by grantglock
i bought one from gateway, saved a few hundred bucks by getting a reman.

I would guess the higher end you are looking to go, the more you are likely to save by going reman

OTOH if you buy a $400 new computer, reman won't save much

Tennessee Slim
07-16-2004, 21:47
Originally posted by berniew
I would guess the higher end you are looking to go, the more you are likely to save by going reman

OTOH if you buy a $400 new computer, reman won't save much
True. The higher the price of the PC, the more rebates/discounts that are available.

Maxthemutt
07-17-2004, 15:04
I'm surfing on my refurb Dell XPS now and its awesome. I would agree with others sentiments that the higher end you go with the refurbs the better deals you get. I saved around $500 vs new, and btw, mine appears to be new. Also search google for "dell coupons" I saved another $100 with one. ;c ;c