2004 Suzuki GSXR 1000 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Suzuki GSXR 1000

vyper005
07-17-2004, 15:09
The GSXR 1000's & the all new 750's are downright sweet...I havent ridden a sportbike since I sold my 91'ZX11 way back in 92' and the last bike I owned was a Honda CR250 about 4 years ago...I'm really starting to get the itch again...Damn...I want one...any feedback on these beauties ?? :)

Lets see...This one...

http://www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/logo/500/GSXR1000K4.jpg

or this one...

http://www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/colorVariations/500/GSXR750K4_Yellow_F4EA00.jpg

ExiledViking
07-17-2004, 15:40
I think the 1000 will be detrimental to your
shooting...;P ;f

Your arms will end up about 2 inches longer.

That is a smoking bike.

Just a word of caution;
BEFORE you buy check on insurance!!!

I have several friends who found out that
they wouldn't be able to get a 1000 insured.

matt3310
07-17-2004, 17:41
my friends got a new 04 1000, and it is a mental bike!!!!!!!! GREAT everything!!!! Highly recomended, and for skilled riders only!!!! And get the yellow one!!!!!!!!!!!;e ;e ;e ;e ;e ;e

chevrofreak
07-17-2004, 17:51
Originally posted by ExiledViking
Just a word of caution;
BEFORE you buy check on insurance!!!

I have several friends who found out that
they wouldn't be able to get a 1000 insured.

Thats another thing I love about Montana, no insurance required on motorcycles ;)

The GSX-R1000 is one fast friggin bike

vyper005
07-17-2004, 18:37
I have State Farm Insurance and they quoted me about 700 bucks a year for full coverage for the GXSR 1000...not too bad at all...I'm 37 so my age helps out :)

It's too bad the 1000 doesnt come in the yellow/Black combo...maybe they will change it for 2005...

JAREDG21
07-18-2004, 20:09
Great bike but be careful the bike will smoke a zx-11. I can tell you from experience the bike will pull a power wheelie at 140mph. Also riding corners real hard you have to be very very careful with the throttle or the rear tire lights up like crazy. Check out the hayabusa as well bc it is more comfortable. once again be very careful. I have had both out on the track and they are both nuts.

chevrofreak
07-18-2004, 22:03
Originally posted by JAREDG21
Great bike but be careful the bike will smoke a zx-11. I can tell you from experience the bike will pull a power wheelie at 140mph. Also riding corners real hard you have to be very very careful with the throttle or the rear tire lights up like crazy. Check out the hayabusa as well bc it is more comfortable. once again be very careful. I have had both out on the track and they are both nuts.

The ZX11 hasnt been top of the pack for a long long time. ;)

The ZX10R is the current king.

vyper005
07-19-2004, 07:17
I thought the Hayabusa was king ??

chevrofreak
07-19-2004, 14:08
Not really. The Hayabusa has the fastest top speed (or, did, back in 99) but the GSX-R1000 and ZX10R would run circles around it on a track, and they are even quicker in the 1/4 mile. A ZX10R with just new exhaust will run low 9's in the 1/4

fastvfr
07-19-2004, 15:04
The last article I read on the uberbikes, the Kawasaki ZX-12R had it sewn up.

A bit slower (2-3MPH) than the GSXR-1300 but a lot nimbler in the twisties.

The Gixxer 1000 is wicked too. Much lighter.

Best regards,

FastVFR

JAREDG21
07-22-2004, 11:44
Originally posted by chevrofreak
Not really. The Hayabusa has the fastest top speed (or, did, back in 99) but the GSX-R1000 and ZX10R would run circles around it on a track, and they are even quicker in the 1/4 mile. A ZX10R with just new exhaust will run low 9's in the 1/4 It aint the pool cue its the man behind it.

Maddog_fsu
07-29-2004, 10:54
Ok here is the break down for those that don't know:

GSX-R 1000 Lots of power, but motor is more developed than chassis... The longer wheelbase really hurts the handling in the twisties. Unless you have riden a gixxer 1000 and 750 back to back please don't argue.

GSX-R 750 IMHO perfect balance of power and handling! There is a good reason it is up for bike of the year. I'm looking at the cover for motorcyclist magazine, cycle world, and sport rider right now and they all have the 750 on the cover within the last 2 months.

ZX-10 HOLY CRAP a lot of power, about 9rwhp more than the gixxer 1k... It has the same wheelbase as the 600/750 bikes so handling is awesome, and it also is a little thinner than the zx6r! Power + short wheelbase= Wheelies all the time whether you like it or not! My main complaint is the lack of ANY steering dampener!!! What were they thinking not putting one on these things? I don't feel as confident cornering this thing as the gixxer 600/750

My personal choice of the three is the 750. Confidence inspiring handling is like no other! About $1500 cheaper than the ZX-10 too including a 4 year unlimited mile warranty.

BTW I ride a 2004 gixxer 600 if that is of any value...

Mad Ryan
08-02-2004, 22:16
I have a ZX-9 (2002) and my best friend just picked up a 2004 Gixxer 1K which is a great bike but I have to say the '04 Honda 1K is easier to ride well, and the '04 R-1 is an all around better bike. (I have another good friend that flogs an '04 R-1 daily so I have some time on it and it's an amazing bike) I don't find the ZX-10 to be comfortable, and since I actually ride my bikes, as opposed to posing downtown, that actually matters to me. I like the Gixxer 1K for the fact that It's comfy, but the fit and finish isn't on par with the Honda and the Yamaha, so I'd prolly steer clear of it, which is unfortunate, but I can't buy a new bike and rack up tons of miles if it's gonna rattle apart. I like the ZX-10's features and performance, and would much rather buy my own steering damper and get the slipper clutch that only it comes with, but I'm gonna let it sit for a few years so I can see how they hold up. I can adjust to a new position for that much performance... ;)

As sweet as all the new bikes are, I'm going to keep riding the '9 till they have a chance to prove their mechanical integrity and then I'll get a new one.

45acp4me
08-03-2004, 11:51
Thats another thing I love about Montana, no insurance required on motorcycles ;)

The GSX-R1000 is one fast friggin bike

Not even liability insurance? I'm not sure I'd like to drive through Montana.

Regards,
Glen

WERA49
08-03-2004, 17:10
I can tell you from experience the bike will pull a power wheelie at 140mph.
That sounds fishy to me. I don't think a stock bike will do that. I have a 2001 GSXR1000. It has a few basic mods. I doubt that it will do that. It wil easily power wheelie at 100MPH.

I have had both out on the track and they are both nuts.
I found my GSXR to be very fun on the track. It can spin the tire out of turns, but doesn't have to. That depends on riding style. Many people give the impression that that it spins the rear EVERY TIME. Not so.

chevrofreak
08-03-2004, 19:27
Originally posted by 45acp4me
Not even liability insurance? I'm not sure I'd like to drive through Montana.

Regards,
Glen

Nope.

45acp4me
08-03-2004, 20:01
Nope.

Nice to know I can get killed or mamed by a fellow rider and he doesn't have to pay for it. I'll be avoiding Montana if I ever go out west again.

Reagards,
Glen

chevrofreak
08-03-2004, 23:11
There are very few accidents in which the rider was at fault, it is usually a person driving a cage that causes it. Most motorcycle accidents are usually single vehicle accidents. Insurance is optional, and cheap. I'll be going with full coverage on my bike because those fairings are expensive SOB's.

wanderinwalker
08-04-2004, 19:41
I logged about half an hour on my buddy's '02 Gixxer 1k earlier today and I can't stop thinking about it. In a word, AWESOME!! My ride is an '02 SV650S. At 4k rpm the Gixxer feels like the SV does at redline. I only took it up to 6k and the smile was so big it hurt. Plus, it really does handle well. Having ridden things that don't particularly like to steer (buddy's Marauder, my dad's old Yamaha Seca 650), I appreciate a machine that is point and shoot. Plus, I figure it is a streetbike. By the time I'm using 30% of what that Gixxer will do, anywhere, sometimes in 1st gear, if I get caught I'm going to jail. (The SV is more of a 60-70% and then you're in jail ride, IMO.)

But the big cudos to the Gixxer is in the engine. Very manageable power delivery and throttle response. I was expecting a machine that would eat me up if I made the slightest mistake. At street pace, that just is not so. Get too stupid and I'm sure it will bite hard, but so will my Lab if you try long enough.

Of course, now I am trying to figure out how to get a late-model 750/1000 into the garage space my SV is now occupying, all while in college and suffering under-25 insurance rates.

micah
08-04-2004, 21:42
Nice to know I can get killed or mamed by a fellow rider and he doesn't have to pay for it. I'll be avoiding Montana if I ever go out west again.

You're worried about getting killed by another motorcyclist? Here in free country, USA (Wisconsin) even cars don't need insurance. I can't say I worry about my drive to work.