Well, I went and done it! (refurb computer) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Well, I went and done it! (refurb computer)

The Pontificator
07-18-2004, 16:03
I didn't have a lot of cash to spend...

And it isn't the baddest ass computer around...

But I think I did pretty well for $398 plus $1 shipping from www.overstock.com

Compaq Presario XP2200+

Specifications:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (1.8GHz)
Memory: 256MB (expandable to 1GB)
Hard drive: 80GB
Modem: 56K ITU V.90
Multimedia drive: CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo
Graphics: ProSavageDDR KM266
Video memory: 32MB
Ethernet: 10/100Base-T
USB ports: six high-speed USB 2.0 (2-front, 4-rear)
Peripherals: Presario PS/2 Internet keyboard, Presario PS/2 scroller mouse
Audio: integrated AC-97
Operating system: Windows XP Home

It's a step up considering my present "tower" is a 300mhz/64RAM/1.2G HD with no DVD and an old CD-ROM

IndyGunFreak
07-18-2004, 16:07
I think thats a really good deal. Just curious, is the Video memory on a card, or is it part of the System memory(I forget how they refer to that)...

Only thing Id probably do, is upgrade to 512mb, which is simple, and cheap.

Good deal.

IGf

chevrofreak
07-18-2004, 16:51
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
I think thats a really good deal. Just curious, is the Video memory on a card, or is it part of the System memory(I forget how they refer to that)...

Shared system memory I believe.

That is indeed a good deal.

NetNinja
07-18-2004, 18:36
Nothing wrong with refurbs.

I see them all the time

Dells and Compaqs.

If you aren't into heavy gameing then those systems will do.

Make sure you write down your 25 digit code just in case you need to reinstall XP Home.

It's a reall pain in the rear to discover at the last second you need to crawl undernetih your desk to get the 25 digit activation code.

berniew
07-18-2004, 21:16
Looks like a good deal to me. Hope it works out for you.

Idle curiousity for those who are more *into it. How does that Athlon compare to Intel chips? What is it comparable to?

Hando
07-18-2004, 21:24
Originally posted by berniew

Idle curiousity for those who are more *into it. How does that Athlon compare to Intel chips? What is it comparable to?

as far as i know the athlon 2200 runs at 1800 but is as fast as intel p4 at 2200. thats why amd name their cpus like that.

NetNinja
07-18-2004, 21:28
comparable?

In terms of what? speed?

Or price?

I run an Athlon XP 2600 it runs at 2.1 Ghz. It is running on 333Mhz Front side bus.

Runs fine and plays all my games.

I do however have an Nvidia Geforce 4 with 128mb of ram. That helps in the game dept.

In terms of price the processor is now at $69.00. I paid $100.00 for it 6 months ago.

A pentium 4 in the same speed range cost arround $100.00 currently

Pick your poison. people who say they won't run an AMD processor don't know what they are talking about.

berniew
07-18-2004, 21:41
I was thinking mainly of speed.

Thanks

The Pontificator
07-18-2004, 22:08
I am well aware of the fact that I'm buying yesterday's...actually last year's...technology.

For what I'm using it for...web browsing, word processing, burning music CD's and watching the occasional DVD...I'm cool with it.

Hando
07-19-2004, 12:45
Originally posted by The Pontificator
I am well aware of the fact that I'm buying yesterday's...actually last year's...technology.

For what I'm using it for...web browsing, word processing, burning music CD's and watching the occasional DVD...I'm cool with it.

my system is about the same and i feel more than comfortable with it. i just have a little more RAM and a better video card for those rare occasions when i play games.

i think CPU speeds are reaching my needs. i dont do video editing so i dont need better.

auto45
07-20-2004, 07:42
I was looking at those(similiar)also, both on Overstock and at HP.

Don't they come with a CD for the software if you need to reinstall?

And, can't you play the current "games" on a system like that?
I don't play hardly any games anymore, but I will be tempted when Doom 3 comes out...good old memories of playing Doom. :cool:

Thanks

Nowhere Man
07-20-2004, 08:06
My son does alot of gaming, so everytime a biggerbetterfaster computer came out, I inherited his old one.

The only hitch was, every time I did that it cost me $500! A bigger case, a new keyboard, a flatscreen, a 120GB hard drive. I finally told him I was happy with what I have and couldn't afford any more "free" computers.

Dave

The Pontificator
07-20-2004, 17:03
The Compaq model I ordered was sold out.

They apologized and gave me a ten dollar off coupon.

No biggie.

I went back to their website, bit the bullet, and order this much nicer computer for $100 more. It's an HP Pavilion

Specifications:
Processor: Athlon XP2800+ operating at 2.08GHz
Memory: 512MB
Hard drive: 120GB
Optical drive: 48x24x48x CD-RW
Optical drive: 16x DVD-ROM
Graphics: 64MB NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440
Floppy drive: 1.44MB
Sound: integrated AC '97, 6-speaker configurable
Network: 10/100Base-T
Modem: high-speed V.92 ready data/fax
Media reader: 7-in-1 digital media card reader
Operating system: Windows XP Home
Ports: five USB 2.0, two FireWire, one serial, one parallel

With $1 shipping, my "Club-O" discount, and $10 coupon...

$513.49

chevrofreak
07-21-2004, 06:29
That sounds like a really good deal to me.

The video card will be a good reliable one, but wont be too great for gaming.

lomfs24
07-21-2004, 22:30
Originally posted by berniew

This is my own humble opinion....that I am entitled to. And for what it's worth this is how I see this question. Everything is "compared" to and Intel chip. Athlon says we are just like Intel!!! Seems like so much stuff is benched marked from an Intel chip and AMD says "We are just like that." Would you rather have a gun or something "just like a gun"?

That being said, I have had two AMD chips and will not buy another one. The first one was understandably a POS. It was, and still is, an AMD K6-II. The second one was, and also still is, an Athlon. Windows seems to run fine on it with only minor quirks, and Linux is giving me all sorts of hell from it. Windows and Linux have worked great on every Intel chip I have ever had.

Now I know that I am not the end all of all there is to know about computers but that is how I would buy an new one.