boot volume...WTF?!?!?! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : boot volume...WTF?!?!?!

TEAK
07-18-2004, 16:58
ok tech guys i need some major help! this am i went to start up my home pc and i got this blue screen of death before windows even started saying something about an unidentafiable boot volume? it said it could be cause by a new piece of hardwear of softwear and to try and start in safe mode and disable it. tried starting in safe mode and it goes to the same screen. it happened once before and i had to completly reformat and loose everything! i have some very important things that i dont want to loose, does anybody know what i can do to fix this???

gudel
07-18-2004, 17:04
did it say "inaccessible boot device"?

get the error message verbatim.

NetNinja
07-18-2004, 18:32
what version of windows?

What was the last thing you installed?

TEAK
07-18-2004, 19:20
xp pro, a popup blocker

NetNinja
07-18-2004, 19:35
Crap, you may be screwed.

If you can't boot into safe mode to remove that piece of software then there isn't much to do.

1. Boot the system with the XP pro CD and try to repair.

2. buy yourself another Hard Drive and reinstall your OS and then when you have finished installing your OS attach your bad hard drive as a slave and attempt to retrieve the files that way.

The new OS will see the hard drive and it's partitons.

You do have partitions don't you?

If you ever wanted to make a dual boot system XP/Linux now is the chance to do it. :)

TEAK
07-18-2004, 19:45
i guess i will just reformat it :(
the bulk of the stuff i dont want to loos i have hard copies of i just dont want to have to go back and enter it back in. things like my add book, cal, and things like that. i have a huge folder with lots of articles that i have saved as opposed to printing them, i can go back and dl them again it will just be time consuming. thanks for the help anyways guys.;Y
as i said this happened once before, what can i do to prevent it in the future? also what are the best programs for me to dl to "safeguard" my pc? things like adwear/spywear and popup blockers? system utilities that will keep things running smoothly?

NetNinja
07-18-2004, 21:18
Don't have a spare hard drive? Just install XP on it, you can use it for 30 days. Just long enough for you to make backups of what you need to get. Then reformat your bad drive and do the reverse.

I use
Etrust anti virus. you can download it to use for 30 days.
http://www.my-etrust.com/

just get the anti virus I hate software based firewalls.

You using high speed access?

You better have a router.

Thunderbird for your email client.
Spyware guard
spybot
adaware
cwshredder
I also use XP sevice pack2 beta. has an awesome built in popup blocker.

chevrofreak
07-18-2004, 22:16
What was the popup blocker called?

TEAK
07-20-2004, 08:00
net ninja,
how do i get my hands on the service pack?

chevro,
i honestly dont remember. i got it off download.com, it was one of the top ones. it ran for like three days, damn thing didnt work either:(

NetNinja
07-20-2004, 08:31
Google is your friend. (XP service pack2 beta)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx

Riverweasel
07-20-2004, 09:20
I get that every time I "restart" my computer.
Dell pentium 4 windows XP home eddition 1.8ghz (about 3 years old)

When I do a "shutdown" everything comes back OK.
Now I "shutdown" every time I want to reboot.

I went around and around with Dell service, could not understand a word they said. They don't speek understandable english in India.
After asking them to repeat what they said 10 times I just hung up.

TomFranks
07-21-2004, 20:27
Usually when you get this, you have corrupted the Master Boot Record. If so, the fix is rather simple:

1) boot to the windows XP cd

2} choose the "repair using the recovery console" option

3) when prompted, type: fixboot
4) when prompted again, type: fixmbr

exit, restart

done

Happens all the time... ;Q