Removing Explorer 6 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Removing Explorer 6

DBR
07-18-2004, 21:24
Does any one know how to remove Explorer 6 from a Win 2000 system. Is it even possible? I am running Mozzilla and I like it a lot but even if "Explorer" is not opened, the system still collects a bunch of info about browsing addresses in the "hidden" explorer files. I notice that "explorer.exe" runs even without the browser being opened. I can easily purge the files with "PurgePro" but I would rather just be rid of "Explorer".

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hando
07-18-2004, 21:28
short answer - you cant.
it is part of the OS now

the explorer service you are seeing is the desktop. if you cancel it your desktop will disappear. than you can run it again ant the desktop will reappear.

DBR
07-18-2004, 21:45
Hando
Thanks.
I kind of thought that would be the answer. The extra files are really only a housekeeping issue, but I wonder how many people running alternative browsers are aware info is still being saved on their systems that cannot be erased without special tools.

Hando
07-19-2004, 12:42
what kind of info are you talking about?
the explorer is now part of the OS so your only other choice would be using linux.

that is what i dislike about netscape. it was becoming like IE. it would save a bunch of its files in a bunch of different folders. this doesnt seem to be an issue with firefox or opera.

i feel the same way you do and like to keep stuff on my HDD neat.

DBR
07-19-2004, 17:32
Hando
The info that comes to mind includes:
(the saved info is not complete as with IE-it just seems to save some things)
Visited URLs
Recent Links
Win Temp Folders
Win Open Save History
Recent Doc History (nothing opened in Word etc)

There are also various things under some registry keys.

This is from a reboot which flushes everything with Purge IE Pro and having used nothing but Mozilla.

Other things get saved depending on where I go and what I do.

Hando
07-19-2004, 18:26
i havent tried this but try changing the permissions on the folders that contain the recent links and stuff like that so the system cannot write in the folders. again i havent tried this so try at your own risk.

you should be able to set the browser history to 0 days so the browser doesnt keep history.

if you are concerned someone might get physical access to your system get a usb encryption key. unless this usb device is in the usb the HDD is encrypted so even if someone unplugs it and try it in a different PC they will still have to figure a way to decrypt it.

najaboy
07-19-2004, 21:50
Originally posted by DBR
Does any one know how to remove Explorer 6 from a Win 2000 system. Is it even possible? I am running Mozzilla and I like it a lot but even if "Explorer" is not opened, the system still collects a bunch of info about browsing addresses in the "hidden" explorer files. I notice that "explorer.exe" runs even without the browser being opened. I can easily purge the files with "PurgePro" but I would rather just be rid of "Explorer".

Thanks in advance for any help.
explorer.exe IS NOT Internet Explorer.

physicsdevil
07-19-2004, 23:02
From Windows Update:

"Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in order to use Windows Update."

ronin_asano
07-20-2004, 08:39
Originally posted by najaboy
explorer.exe IS NOT Internet Explorer.

about the only difference is the name of the files. they are extremely similar and the point of the explorer shell is to make the interface much like web broswing.

Hando
07-20-2004, 11:48
Originally posted by ronin_asano
about the only difference is the name of the files. they are extremely similar and the point of the explorer shell is to make the interface much like web broswing.

plus if you type in explorer a url it goes to the site, so it is the same basicly

ronin_asano
07-20-2004, 16:46
indeed it is.

07-20-2004, 17:28
If you really want to get rid of explorer.exe (the desktop shell in windows), take a look here. http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cygwin&m=103072530327420&w=2 Download the file, make a regedit, thats it.

DBR
07-20-2004, 17:36
Thanks for all the info folks. I don't have security concerns. I just wondered why the Explorer caches etc seem to "see" some of what is going on in Mozzilla. I do realize now that I need Explorer to access Windows Update. I tried to use it with Mozilla and MSN doesn't seem to like it.

Egyas
07-20-2004, 18:26
Awhile back, thewre was a program called Win98Lite that could actually strip IE from the system. I saw a similiar appversion for XP about 5 months ago (or so) that does the same thing. While explorer.exe and iexplore.exe are not the same file, they are indeed very similiar.

This app uninstalls IE, and replaces the explorer.exe service file with a different file with the same name. All the calls from the file work the way the original did, so the system really doesn;t know the difference.

Drawbacks.....
1) EXPENSIVE! It was like $200 or something.
2) Doesn't work EXACTLY like explorer.exe, so there are some quirks.
3) I can't remember the app name. :(

Harlequin
07-20-2004, 20:43
Originally posted by DBR
Does any one know how to remove Explorer 6 from a Win 2000 system. Is it even possible?

Don't we all wish? I just told my firewall to not allow it access and removed the desktop icon. I only use it for Windows update.

Hando
07-20-2004, 22:26
Originally posted by Harlequin
Don't we all wish? I just told my firewall to not allow it access and removed the desktop icon. I only use it for Windows update.

so what do you use? i am just curious. firefox, opera?

i read about firefox here and have been using it ever since but nontheless i like to know what are my options.