Dogs!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dogs!!!


EUPHER49
07-19-2004, 08:55
How do you guys handle the occasional chasing
dog while riding?
Most of the time I get them when at "STOP" signs. Sometimes at curvy places where I
can't "outrun" them. I've kept them at bay with a
good swift kick to the head, or rump, but have considered pepper spray, or high velocity lead poisoning...

Bandalero
07-19-2004, 10:00
I was taught to slow up as you approach the animal and then squirt on by. ;n I haven't had to deal with it yet, though.

Now... kids hurling Frisbees at me....:soap:

BikerGoddess
07-19-2004, 10:51
Clutch and rev. Works better on bikes with louder growls than the pup, though ;)

Laura

ClickClickBoom
07-19-2004, 12:50
The clutch/revving technique actually works. I spooked a bull from a back road in Johnson, Vermont. I came around a blind corner on a gravel and there was about 1400-1500 pounds of hamburger standing in the road (unquestionably a Bull, not a cow). I slowed to a crawl about 70-80 feet from it and moved to one side of the road in the event I had to whip the bike around and go the other way in a rush. The horn on the bike was broken, so I pulled in the clutch and revved the old KZ1000 and the bull spooked and charged off into the corn field off to the side of the road. It was kind of funny, as the road was higher than the field and you could watch the line being cut through the corn as it ran towards the river.
I've also used the revving trick on my friend's dog, (Who one time latched onto my leg when I pulled into the driveway, his whole family was outside, watching me go right off their driveway and across their lawn with their german shepard clinging to my leg). His neighbor's dog tried it as well, but that was back when I first got the bike and had yet to remove the massive, fibreglass saddlebags. It came running out into the road (I was only 40). It lunged for my leg, but its timing was off and it took one of the saddlebags upside the head ;f. That seemed to deter it from future attempts.

WERA49
07-19-2004, 19:35
I was taught to slow up as you approach the animal and then squirt on by.
I have used that method many times. It works for bicyclists as well. :)

Ralphumor
07-20-2004, 16:08
Its been over 10 years ago but I hit a dog about the size of Benji. I was in a line about 4th back with one behind me. I was cold and lost. The dog came out and missed the first 3. The guy behind me said he was watching so when I crashed he would not hit me and my girl friend. I held on tight and sent that puppy right into the ditch. My girlfriend who was hunkered down behind me because she was cold didnt even know I hit the dog. The fella behind me said we wobbled a slight bit and kept on rollin..I was blessed that day.

EUPHER49
07-21-2004, 23:44
...but it seems that no one has addressed the problem of an animal that has not been trained to avoid motorcyclists. If a dog latches onto your leg and clamps down what are you going to do? I've done all the things and they where were successful, but if the dog was bound and determined to have a piece of you and you had nowhwere to go what would you do???

WERA49
07-22-2004, 00:02
if the dog was bound and determined to have a piece of you and you had nowhwere to go what would you do???
I like to think that I could raise that leg above him. He's not going to like the taste of a frame rail or foot peg. I could partially stand if I had to. Biting a chain would be harmful to his health.

Another option, if we had time, would be to KICK his nose as hard as I possibly could. They don't like that. :) I did that once while riding a BMX bike. With only one speed, they are slow. I was no match for the dog. However, he quickly changed his mind when I put my heel into his nose.

EUPHER49
07-22-2004, 00:34
Originally posted by WERA49
I like to think that I could raise that leg above him. He's not going to like the taste of a frame rail or foot peg. I could partially stand if I had to. Biting a chain would be harmful to his health.

Another option, if we had time, would be to KICK his nose as hard as I possibly could. They don't like that. :) I did that once while riding a BMX bike. With only one speed, they are slow. I was no match for the dog. However, he quickly changed his mind when I put my heel into his nose.

Thanks......I needed that!!!!

BikerGoddess
07-22-2004, 07:37
Where are you riding that you're coming across dogs that can outrun a bike? Maybe you should focus your energies on finding a different neighborhood...

Laura

Tennessee Slim
07-22-2004, 07:56
Originally posted by BikerGoddess
Where are you riding that you're coming across dogs that can outrun a bike? Maybe you should focus your energies on finding a different neighborhood...
;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

I’m a bicyclist (and former motorcyclist) so my acceleration is much more, how you say, leisurely; sometimes I can’t ‘squirt past 'em’. Depending on the situation, I might ride at the edge of the lane and wait for the dog to get close. If I almost can outrun him, I ride on his side of the road, then veer way when he gets close. If he’s definitely got me, then I ride on the opposite side and veer toward him hard when he gets close. The survival instinct usually kicks in and he turns tail. If he doesn’t, ...well, that why I carry a NAA Mini.

WERA49
07-22-2004, 08:18
Where are you riding that you're coming across dogs that can outrun a bike?
That was a BMX bike. They have one speed. Have you ever tried to go fast on a BMX? You quickly find yourself at max pedal speed, redline for the engine folks. With only one gear, what do you do? Kick him in the nose! :)

Bandalero
07-22-2004, 08:51
Originally posted by EUPHER49
...but it seems that no one has addressed the problem of an animal that has not been trained to avoid motorcyclists. If a dog latches onto your leg and clamps down what are you going to do? I've done all the things and they where were successful, but if the dog was bound and determined to have a piece of you and you had nowhwere to go what would you do???

I hope I have the presence of mind to raise my leg (ironic, eh?), and let him have a big, 'ole mouthful of hot exhaust pipe ;N

But if he came out of no where while I was stopped or stopping, I guess I'd just try to kick him in the snout or something