what do I need to get started? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what do I need to get started?

carbonblack
07-19-2004, 22:12
For a person starting to work towards a technician level license,what is a good study guide and where can I find a place to take the test? What book helped you understand the basics better and augemented your knowledge to make you a better ham? Can I be licensed and give a radio to my wife with proper instructions as to its use, using it as a backup for other comm? What can I do if the ham bands in my area are basically dead, with few active hams, and many 11 meter hotrodders? Your advice oh wise ones is greatly appreciated .

:)

07-20-2004, 08:24
Without knowing where you're located, I really can't answer.

There are several web sites that offer lots of information:

www.arrl.org
www.eham.net
www.qrz.com

Also, PM member "Caretaker". He seems to be very active in the VEC program, and can probably hook you up with the necessary resources.

GOOD LUCK!!! Hope to cu on the air soon.

cntrline
07-21-2004, 17:14
Arrl has the question pools, study those, qst has the practice test, do them. It won't take long, once consistantly scoring 90% on qst, take the exam and get the license. ARRL has a listing of where you can take exams. She needs the license too. There are probably more hams in your area than you think, you will be surprised. Turn the illegals in to the fcc. Go ahead and get it done, you will not regret it. I put it off for 40 years, wish I had not.

sacluded
08-03-2004, 16:09
Don't forget Radio Shack! They have some great books there that have the question pools plus explanations.

Your wife could use your radio, but ONLY if you are present. You have to be there to be the control operator. If you want her to use the radio alone she has to have her own ticket.

TheGrinch
08-03-2004, 20:59
These two guides will enable you to pass the technician test. The Tech license will get you on VHF/UHF, including repeaters (relay radios that extend range). All possible test questions are presented, after going through the book a few times, you will have no trouble passing the test. Others have posted links to practice exam websites, but go through the question banks three times and then take a few practice exams. The Gordon West books explain the material very well, and are a good reference for further expansion.

Grinch

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/books/0626.html

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/books/4342.html

carbonblack
08-04-2004, 07:55
Thanks for all the replies, the West books are on my shopping list. What would be a good setup to start with? I was thinking a 2m ht and a higher power mobile in my suburban, what works well and does not cost an arm and a leg? thanx.