Going wireless LAN.. questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Going wireless LAN.. questions

Rusty Shackleford
07-21-2004, 07:47
I have plenty of experience with ethernet setups using crossover cables, hubs, routers, ICS, etc but I'm a complete n00b to all this wireless stuff.

Since I recently bought my wife a laptop, which happened to come with a built-in wireless networking card, I've decided to hook our two desktops up with wireless cards as well. Since there will be more than two computers on the network at once (no internet sharing going on) do I need to get a wireless hub/router as well? Or can one of the desktops (all 3 machines are running XP home) be set up to act as the "main" wireless controller acting like a router for itself and the other two machines? The routers are cheap, it's just that I don't want to bother with unneccessary extra equipment.

Thx for any input

SamBuca
07-21-2004, 07:50
I wouldn't bother with ad hoc networking. At Wally World you can grab your ammo AND a $50 Linksys wireless router: how convenient ;)

ronin_asano
07-21-2004, 13:15
yes, you will want a wireless router/firewall to handle the traffice and shield all the machines from direct internet connection.