Nationwide cell service [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide cell service

lomfs24
07-21-2004, 22:45
Long story short. My parents are traveling cross country.... a lot. And they wanted me to find out about a true nationwide cell service with no roaming. Does such a critter exsist? And if so, what is your recommendations?

btoler
07-21-2004, 23:16
I use Liberty wireless I live in Ohio and travle to NewYork mostly never had a charge for roaming. My plan is for the 48 states you get the phone over the internet. I've had it for a year now.

JCM298
07-22-2004, 06:33
lomfs24,

I've been using Verizon for about 14 years, although the name has changed a few times, the provider remainded the same. I've traveled from Hawaii to Nova Scotia, at various times, and only had problems in southwestern AZ and the north shore of Oahu. Both locations are at the extreme ends of the service area. Going through mountains disrupts service but over all, I've been satisfied.

Verizon has various plans to avoid roaming charges. You might also want to look into an AT&T calling card for long distance calls,

John

darin2
07-22-2004, 18:30
Nextel has nation wide service. They also have the direct connect (walkie talkie) which works well. My mother has it and calls me when she travels all over the country. It's like other services though. In remote areas you may not have good coverage.

Darin

JCM298
07-22-2004, 19:03
My employer issues Nextel to a large number of people. The "walkie/talkie" function works very well. It even works from Tucson to the eastcoast, per one user.

Problems have occurred with local phone service. There have been incidents where people could not talk to each other using the phone function and the distance was only a few miles. Of course, that could be placement of the cell towers.

Once, while at a restaurant, my co-worker could not call the office and borrowed my Verizon phone to make the call. Some employees carry two phones...an issue Nextel and their personal phones,

John

hogrider
07-22-2004, 19:37
I've used AT&T and Verizon for 'true' nationwide service.

I had customer service issues with AT&T (they underwent several restructures), and then stayed with Verizon. All of the Nationwide plans (not America's Choice) are essentially the same. If there is service, it's covered under the plan.

BTW, my experience is based upon traveling an average of 300 days annually for five years.

Don At PC
07-22-2004, 20:06
I have used Verison for 2 years now and have had excellent service from Florida to Ohio, Virginia, Texas, Lousianna, Kentucky, Indiana, and even Las Vegas. As mentioned by others in some of the real mountainous areas you will have some "No Service" areas with any provider but all in all I have been extremely satisfied with my Verison Nation Wide service with no roaming and no long distance.

rswinnerton
07-29-2004, 05:42
Having sold cellphones from all carriers for the past few years, I can tell you that your best bet is Verizon. They are #1 for coverage in the US. AT&T is a close second with the rest of the services further behind. Nextel has good coverage, but once you get out into the boonies, it drops right off. Sprint and T-Mobile should be avoided at all cost unless you're gonna be in urban areas all the time.

And that's ... the rest of the story.
Russ

lomfs24
07-29-2004, 08:07
Thanks for all the replies. Even though my parents will be traveling coast to coast they will always come back home. And to the rest of the world the last 500 miles that they would travel and where we live is considered the "boonies". Even Verizon only covers the major highways. Take a look at a verizon map for Montana and then take a look at a Montana Highway map. They look identical. I know what the country is like between highways here and there is not much need for service out there.

Thanks again for all the replies. Looks like it will have to be verizon as that is the only company here that anyone has mentioned.