magazine spring set? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : magazine spring set?

jundeleon
07-27-2004, 12:56
Has anybody actually experienced a magazine spring taking a "set" after being kept loaded for a long time?

horge
07-27-2004, 16:19
Haven't been at this thing for very long, and have owned my own firearm for even les time, but no. My uncle would preach that properly tempered springs will keep a mag functional even after ecades of storage fully-loaded, provided the mags are protected from dirt snd corrosion.

Even from a mechanical-engineering theoretical POV, after a mild initial set upon first use, it is cycling of the spring that softens the metal, alowing it to take a set, rather than prolonged compression.

:)

jasonub
07-27-2004, 19:42
it just takes an initial set after leaving the mags overnight then no problems. wear comes from loading and unloading the mags which is considered a cycle. the spring has a cycle life and after the cycle life it should be replaced

mc_oliver
07-27-2004, 23:47
FWIW I have a mag with 6 rounds in it that was loaded on a Dec date before Ping became PNP chief...kelan ba yun? Cleaned it last week and compared the spring length to my records. No discernable set. ;)

Ditto on the above posts. It's the cyling of the springs that evetually weaken it esp. cycling with full compression each time.