Bug-out bag in the Philippine setting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bug-out bag in the Philippine setting?

mikey177
07-30-2004, 20:11
Have you guys ever put together a "bug-out bag"?

If so, what scenario/s do you envision using it for? How big is it and what equipment or materials did you include in it?

I'm currently thinking about getting one ready, but I want some inputs from you on whether it would be a practical approach in the RP setting if ever there was a need to quickly get away from one's residence due to some threat.

Allegra
07-30-2004, 21:12
Originally posted by mikey177

If so, what scenario/s do you envision using it for? How big is it and what equipment or materials did you include in it?

I'm currently thinking about getting one ready, but I want some inputs from you on whether it would be a practical approach in the RP setting if ever there was a need to quickly get away from one's residence due to some threat.

mountain bike and gear, cell phone w/ radio plus exyra batt., vhf radio , power gels, hydration pack ,

scenario ; wala ako maisip, but I'm planning a mindoro trip and thats what I plan on bringin

revo
07-31-2004, 00:16
A bug-out bag or 'BOB' for short is a collection of survival gear that you keep handy to take with you just in case you encounter a disaster, emergency or catastrophic situation.

To bug-out means to immediately leave or escape or evade capture.

Emergencies may be fire, flood, civil unrest, riots, natural calamities, hostile invasion, terrorist attacks, war, etc.

Since I live in California and the question referred to a PHilippine setting, I'll defer to those residing sa inangbayan.

But I do maintain a bug-out bag nonethless.

horge
07-31-2004, 01:43
Bug-Out Bag?
I'll give it a shot.

bottled water
dried food rations
1 handgun, 100 rounds ammo
1 long arm, 200 rounds ammo
MultiTool
cash USD
cash PhP
passport
Faraday flashlight
Faraday radio
Toilet Paper
Med kit
SS three-pot food-ruck
Eating utensils
Magnifying lens, Matches, Flint & Steel
Bible

That's actually 2 bags' worth right there :)

My spouse and anyone else with me would pack about the same.
If motor-vehicle-use is allowed in any putative bug-out scenario,
I'd pack even more stuff, including fishing gear.

I'd head for Bataan if it was really bad.
Lots of good places to hold out there.
I don't think I'd ever bail on the country in a pinch,
and there've been times in the past when there seemed
good enough excuse to skip out.

revo
07-31-2004, 11:23
horge sir,

A few suggestions for certain items-

1) A good pair of sunglasses

2) signalling mirror. The correct type of mirror can signal a plane
for rescue.

3) replace your usual belt with a belt that can be used as a weapon
also - a good thick belt that you hang stuff on

4) If you have the money, replace your water bottle with a Camelbak
or similar bladder. You can carry more and you can keep moving while drinking.

5) Emergency reflective blankets - 2 - you might have to stop somewhere at night to sleep and it's cold.

6) If it's the rainy season, you will need rainwear.

7) Your clothing, shoes and headwear might be inappropriate for a bug-out situation.

One last point, in the Philippines, if the Nice-People-Around saw you walking around with weapons, isn't that an invitation to be ambushed.

jerrytrini
07-31-2004, 12:28
The cars in my household carry "Earthquake Kits" just like the Bug out Bag. I do however have flares, two sets of clothes (mine and the Mrs.) MRE's (Meals-Ready-to-Eat) and bottled water in addition to the items previously mentioned in this thread. MRE's shelf life is 5 years. These IMO are the best items you want to include in your BOB. These items never leave the vehicles. Don't forget medication, matches, and can opener. I have been told that keeping water (even bottled) for long periods of time in a hot vehicle is not wise due to bacterial growth. Is this true?

revo
07-31-2004, 13:35
jerrytrini, sir,

I don't think they have access to MREs in the Phil.

Also, yes. you are correct. It is not good to keep bottled
water for a long time without consuming it.

Kiddo
07-31-2004, 23:21
I've seen MREs being sold here in one of our local gunstores. I'll check it out later. :)

Allegra
08-01-2004, 00:27
Originally posted by revo
A bug-out bag or 'BOB' for short is a collection of survival gear that you keep handy to take with you just in case you encounter a disaster, emergency or catastrophic situation.

To bug-out means to immediately leave or escape or evade capture.

Emergencies may be fire, flood, civil unrest, riots, natural calamities, hostile invasion, terrorist attacks, war, etc.

Since I live in California and the question referred to a PHilippine setting, I'll defer to those residing sa inangbayan.

But I do maintain a bug-out bag nonethless.

Oo nga, I'm buggin out to mindoro to escape a natural calamity
My ex

batangueno
08-01-2004, 00:31
Originally posted by Allegra
Oo nga, I'm buggin out to mindoro to escape a natural calamity
My ex
;z ;z
Sarap nyan Allegra, mtb sa mindoro. Baka hindi ka na bumalik..hehe;f ;f

9MX
08-01-2004, 09:14
Originally posted by Kiddo
I've seen MREs being sold here in one of our local gunstores. I'll check it out later. :)

MREs are plenty at those PX stores in N. Domingo right behind Broadway Centrum. In my early mountaineering days, MREs made up the bulk of my food supply. Love the chocolates but I hate the dried meat, tasted like dog food;g

awoooo!;z

isang latang skyflakes na lang ang babaunin ko, at least malutong kahit anong ipatong!;f

mikey177
08-01-2004, 22:44
One last point, in the Philippines, if the Nice-People-Around saw you walking around with weapons, isn't that an invitation to be ambushed.

This is why I am having a hard time deciding on the configuration of a BOB. On one hand, I'd like to bring a good selection of tools and supplies that I may need, and on the other hand, I want to be able to move about freely and inconspicuously, which means those large mountaineering backpacks are probably out of the question. In most scenarios, it would probably also mean bugging out with just a concealed pistol, since I wouldn't want to attract undue attention to myself by carrying a shotgun or rifle around on foot.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input. Just keep 'em coming. I wonder if they have MREs here in the province.

antediluvianist
08-01-2004, 23:47
I simply keep an ample supply of canned food available, and add to it+ buy gallons of water if there is some possible crisis coming up.

Beyond that, I feel safer in my condo than anywhere. I can hold off an army coming up the stairs.

What kind of civil disruption are we talking about? I think of temporary things like a Luzon-wide power outtage for a week, the assassination of some government officials, FPJ-lovers rioting in the streets/looting shopping malls , things like that.

Kiddo
08-02-2004, 07:32
IMHO anyone who plans to have a Bug-out bag should have two. One is a smaller one, just a small backpack with one MRE, trauma kit and the essensials, while the other a bigger one with full first-aid kits, lots of meals and water and a small cache of ammo. The bigger one is for the car, and the smaller one is the one you carry on your back when you move around on foot. I also plan to make but still have no specific idea on what to carry. Lets start with the smaller pack. What would you guys carry? :)

9MX
08-02-2004, 08:16
This is why I am having a hard time deciding on the configuration of a BOB. On one hand, I'd like to bring a good selection of tools and supplies that I may need, and on the other hand, I want to be able to move about freely and inconspicuously, which means those large mountaineering backpacks are probably out of the question. In most scenarios, it would probably also mean bugging out with just a concealed pistol, since I wouldn't want to attract undue attention to myself by carrying a shotgun or rifle around on foot.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input. Just keep 'em coming. I wonder if they have MREs here in the province.

mikey,

check out habagat's viajero backpack, it can also be carried like a suitcase. its made of dupont cordura, strength tested ladder locks, front panel loading for both major and minor compartments. its a pretty sturdy bag!

Allegra
08-02-2004, 08:54
Originally posted by batangueno
;z ;z
Sarap nyan Allegra, mtb sa mindoro. Baka hindi ka na bumalik..hehe;f ;f

hehe did my thesis there errr...12 years ago

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input. Just keep 'em coming. I wonder if they have MREs here in the province

ang bigat ng mre's and they take up too much space
power gel, century tuna, at saging lang :)
Lahat ng magkakasya lang sa camelback hawg plus a beltbag with the pistol , ammo, money, condom ( for carrying more water :))
Once you get to the provinces, mura na pagkain
3 guys with a grand each can last a week in the boondocks

rhino465
08-02-2004, 09:07
If you're having trouble deciding between lightweight and comprehensive assortment of gear and supplies, go "modular."

Pick the bare essentials you need and put them in the smallest carrier or bag that will hold them. No matter what, you won't let go of that.

Get a few other bags/containers, and put "modules" of related gears and supplies together.

Put it all in one huge duffle or backpack which you will use mostly to transfer too and from your home and vehicle.

If you have time and the luxury of your truck or car, you take the whole thing. When you have to go on foot, then you can leave behind things as you need to decrease weight, starting with the least essential and working toward what you absolutely need no matter what.

You can't have too much gear that way. If you can't carry it, you just leave it behind.

revo
08-02-2004, 19:47
This is how I tier or organize my survival gear

1) Basic Level - Gear I always carry

2) 72-Hour Kit - Gear intended for survival for 72 hours - all conditions

Add - ons

a) Add-ons for desert/arid conditions or summer

b) Add-ons For Fall or Wet conditions

c) Add-ons For Winter/Snowfall conditions

d) Add-ons For Hostile Environment - Evasive

e) Add-ons For Hostile Environment - Defensive

darwin25
08-04-2004, 05:30

in my experience.

these will all fit in one Military back pack

1 LONG malong
1 hammock made of parca
1 5*7 feet sheet of parca for use as tent
2 decent sets of clothes
3 pairs of parca jogging pants
3 long sleeves dark colored camisa chino
1 pair of beachwalk sandals
1 bottle of Aralen
1 bottle of puritabs
1 good flahlight
1 mono AM radio
lots of batteries
1 poncho and poncho liner
1 good all purpose knife
Leatherman wave
1 good sling shot
1 plastic cup
1 plastic plate
water canteen
MREs? canned foods and lots of Nesvita
a good pair of sunglasses
3 tubaos
1 mid size towel
toothbrush
soap
a bottle of shampoo
ATM card
call cards
at least P10,000.00 cash
vhf radio for monitoring radio traffic
personal size cooking pot
medkit
lighter
mosquito repellent

1 M14 rifle with at least 200 rounds of ammo
1 .22 6 inch barrel revolver
1 .357 revolver, lots of ammo and at least 4 speed loaders
1 web gear
1 good wristwatch

1 Robertsons (Chuck Taylor style) sneakers (much better than combat boots)

That's about it

Eye Cutter
08-04-2004, 17:05
Originally posted by darwin25
in my experience.

these will all fit in one Military back pack

1 hammock made of parca
1 5*7 feet sheet of parca for use as tent
3 pairs of parca jogging pants
1 bottle of Aralen
3 tubaos

darwin, care to elaborate on the above items you listed? i'm not familiar with those. What is a parca? the aralen and tubaos?

9MX
08-04-2004, 19:52
eyecutter,

hammocks - are normally made of fishing twine, it was mountaineers who first used this, PNP SAF followed;f, these hammocks can be folded/crumpled into a fist size. the brand to go for is TROPIKS, made in davao.

tubao - this is the bandana you see wrapped around the heads of of our traditional muslim brods especially in zamboanga and mindanao, available in different designs. commonly seen on mountaineers, militants and Nice People

Parca/Parka - i think darwin meant parka which is an jacket with a collapsible hood designed for outdoors, outside shell is made of nylon or the more expensive goretex.

For a makeshift tent, one can use a laminated tarp, this is the same material as your sack of rice but more colorful, usually in red, white and blue and seen a lot on makeshift houses and sari-sari stores.

aralen - yan ang di ko alam;f

Eye Cutter
08-04-2004, 22:46
ahhh!! yes, tubao pala tawag dun. i've been wanting to get one to use as sun cover during matches. shemagh yata ang arabic name nito!

antediluvianist
08-04-2004, 23:16
Fruit cocktail (del monte, purefoods, whatever) is good survival rations for hikes, in the small cans with flip-open lids.

When i did mountaineering a long time ago, the problem was that your mouth gets so dry that you need liquid or you can't swallow anything. Sandwiches were impossible. Fruit cocktail works fine, and has plenty of energy too.

mikey177
08-05-2004, 00:42
Thanks for the additional info, guys.

Does anybody know where I could get a pocket-sized AM/FM battery-operated radio? I used to have one that was just the size of a credit card, given as a freebie by a pharmaceutical company, but that was FM only. I think horge mentioned something about a "Faraday radio." Is that the type that is self-powered, wherein you just turn a crank a few times and the thing gets charged? Is that available in RP?

Also, how do you arrange your ammo in a bug-out bag? Is it ready to use in magazines, or stored in a box or other container?

9MX
08-05-2004, 01:02
Thanks for the additional info, guys.

Does anybody know where I could get a pocket-sized AM/FM battery-operated radio? I

mikey,

sa raon o baclaran madami ;f

ante,

were you active in mountaineering before? which club?

antediluvianist
08-05-2004, 01:17
9mx, I'm 58 years old now. I did some mountaineering/hiking when I was in college, 35 - 40 years ago. It was an ad-hoc Ateneo group of guys then, not really a formal club. We climbed those hills on the other side of the Marikina Valley from Loyola Heights, and Mt. Banahaw , and some of the hills around Baguio. I remember the mouth dryness and the fruit cocktail. My friend Butch Sebastian, husband of Senator Pia Cayetano-Sebastian , is a real mountaineering/skyjumping/long-distance cycling guy (she is quite an athlete too.) He is one of that group of Pinoys who will climb Mt. Everest in the near future (or die trying).

Eye Cutter
08-05-2004, 07:31
Mikey: teka san ka ba punta pag nag bug-out ka? sa bundok, sa gubat, sa city??? kelangan may idea ka para mag-ble-blend in ka sa environment to be invisible di ba?

Tsaka, ang kalaban mo naman dyan sa BOB kit e yung weight! the lighter, the better for mobility.

Does anybody know where I could get a pocket-sized AM/FM battery-operated radio?

dami n'yan sa tiangge. get the ones which use watch batteries na ni-cad or the newer lithium batteries to save on weight.

Also, how do you arrange your ammo in a bug-out bag? Is it ready to use in magazines, or stored in a box or other container?

bring all the magazines you can carry, of course. unless you have a revolver. No, wait, it would be better to bring 2 or 3 para meron ka back-up! Pero kung iba't ibang caliber, mas mahirap pa yun! Stick with 9mm and .22LR para di mahirap hanapin kahit saan!

teka ilan ba balak mo dalhin ammo? mabigat ang bala. 200 rds is already very heavy! your glock 19 is perfect kasi magaan, itago mo na lang yung G34 and CZ-85 mo in the meantime.

Other essential things to pack:
a good machete or bowie knife and the glock entrenching tool w/c can be used as an axe and a saw!

i like darwin's slingshot suggestion! i'll bring both that uses the ball bearing shots and the one which uses flattened nail spikes with fletches. effective yan out to 25 meters!

matches/zippo lighter and a small bottle of lighter fluid
a small magnifying glass for starting kindling
a compact monocular or binocular
nylon thread for fishing, snares/traps etc.
small roll of GI wire (alambre)

nice to have in your BOB:
digital camera
a satellite phone w/ extra batteries

meron pa ba tayo nakalimutan?

;K

9MX
08-05-2004, 08:36
Originally posted by antediluvianist
9mx, I'm 58 years old now. I did some mountaineering/hiking when I was in college, 35 - 40 years ago. It was an ad-hoc Ateneo group of guys then, not really a formal club. We climbed those hills on the other side of the Marikina Valley from Loyola Heights, and Mt. Banahaw , and some of the hills around Baguio. I remember the mouth dryness and the fruit cocktail. My friend Butch Sebastian, husband of Senator Pia Cayetano-Sebastian , is a real mountaineering/skyjumping/long-distance cycling guy (she is quite an athlete too.) He is one of that group of Pinoys who will climb Mt. Everest in the near future (or die trying).

Small world, Butch is also my friend. I'm with the Don Bosco Mountaineers but I usually climb self-contained along with a buddy in Davao. Butch and I were were in the same bunch of mountaineers held by the NPA's Meynardo Arce command in 1989 as we were negotiating Mt. Apo via the Davao's side. Several MFPI adventures and events followed after that. Last time I touched base with Butch was April this year during the annual MFPI congress and climb.:cool:

9MX
08-05-2004, 08:39
Originally posted by Eye Cutter

;K

toothpick;a

antediluvianist
08-05-2004, 08:46
Originally posted by Eye Cutter:

"meron pa ba tayo nakalimutan?"

Have we put in toilet paper (or is that what the magazines are for?) Or there's a "survivalist" solution for that need? Banana leaves at the hideaway site?

Eye Cutter
08-05-2004, 08:47
Originally posted by 9MX
toothpick;a

yes!!! and dental floss!!! don't forget to bring some. it improvises nicely as a candle/lamp wick, fishing line, and as a slow burning fuse for laying down booby traps! ;f;f;f

;e

Eye Cutter
08-05-2004, 08:50
Originally posted by antediluvianist
Have we put in toilet paper (or is that what the magazines are for?)

medyo masakit yata gamitin yung mga high-capacity feeding devices (i.e. gun magazines) as a toilet implement... pede rin sa masochista...

;e

rhino465
08-05-2004, 12:35
Dental floss can also be used for sutures (you just boil it first).

PMMA97
08-05-2004, 16:12

Don't forget the Expedition with OnStar ;f

mikey177
08-05-2004, 19:02
Mikey: teka san ka ba punta pag nag bug-out ka? sa bundok, sa gubat, sa city??? kelangan may idea ka para mag-ble-blend in ka sa environment to be invisible di ba?

Where will I go? Where the next nearest BoG is, of course :)

But seriously, it pays to have relatives all over Luzon, so my family and I will probably head to wherever the situation is relatively peaceful or secure.

You're right, though. A bug-out bag would be of limited use unless you have a pre-determined plan regarding where you will bug out to.

Originally posted by PMMA97
Don't forget the Expedition with OnStar

I don't think this follows the doctrine of keeping a low profile
;f

Allegra
08-05-2004, 23:04
darwin, care to elaborate on the above items you listed? i'm not familiar with those. What is a parca? the aralen and tubaos?

hahaha familiar yan sa mga taga UP

Allegra
08-05-2004, 23:09
ahhh!! yes, tubao pala tawag dun. i've been wanting to get one to use as sun cover during matches. shemagh yata ang arabic name nito!

Doc, iba yun :)
Yung shemagh (?) sa arabs, yung tubao sa leftists :)
every one was wearin one during college

Eye Cutter
08-05-2004, 23:27
fafa allegra: di kasi ako mahilig sumali sa rally nung UP days ko e. hehehe ;f

papahanap na nga lang ako sa ilalim ng quiapo bridge o sa may mosque!

darwin25
08-06-2004, 00:12

Yes sir.

Hammock - Duyan
Parca - fabric w/c are mostly used with windbreakr style jackets and jogging pants. When used as tents and duyan, they can be very durable yet very compact when folded

Tubao- handkerchief from Lumads of Mindanao

Aralen - anti-malaria tablets. A must. dont go to the mountains without it. Especially in Mindoro and Palawan where Malaria Falsiparum is quite common

darwin25
08-06-2004, 21:00
Most important is the MALONG. I never leave Metro Manila without it

Alexii
08-06-2004, 23:12
Originally posted by darwin25
Most important is the MALONG. I never leave Metro Manila without it

What's a MALONG, and where can we get one? And what's its purpose?

bass one
08-07-2004, 00:26
Malong or sarong or sari is the balabal or tapis which can be worn in a vareity of ways depending on the wearer's imagination. Can double as a blanket at night but most effectively worn by women with long and great looking legs...;f

casmot
08-07-2004, 01:32
Originally posted by bass one
Can double as a blanket at night but most effectively worn by women with long and great looking legs...;f

Yup, like the way they worn their malongs at "Sangkalan" ;f ;f ;f

darwin25
08-07-2004, 02:45
Originally posted by Alexii
What's a MALONG, and where can we get one? And what's its purpose?

I agree with Casmot, remember the colorful dresses the waitresses wear in Sangkalan? ;f You can get them at Quiapo. Can double as a blanket, which is the main purpose why I always keep one handy. Very good and handy if you regularly travel in a bus going to provinces. Sometimes you will chance upon buses that set their airconditioning to very cold that you will really wish you have a blanket with you. ;f

revo
08-08-2004, 10:41
I'm thinking about the practicality of a long blanket
in a bug-out situation where you have to keep moving.

If you need to take a nap and rest and then suddenly
you need to move, packing the blanket back into
your ruck will delay you.

casmot
08-09-2004, 10:12
I'm thinking about the practicality of a long blanket
in a bug-out situation where you have to keep moving.

If you need to take a nap and rest and then suddenly
you need to move, packing the blanket back into
your ruck will delay you.

That's why a molang is a good idea. It's a blanket, a shawl, a towel and even a bag.

9MX
08-09-2004, 10:14
Originally posted by casmot
That's why a molang is a good idea. It's a blanket, a shawl, a towel and even a bag.

molang? - Czar casmot seems you're thinking about a "mola" tonight,hehehehe;f

casmot
08-09-2004, 10:17
Originally posted by 9MX
molang? - Czar casmot seems you're thinking about a "mola" tonight,hehehehe;f

MALONG!!! typo error ...;f ;f ;f

mc_oliver
08-09-2004, 22:44
Originally posted by Eye Cutter:
"meron pa ba tayo nakalimutan?"

How about a portable, battery-operated DVD player. Nakakinip yata maghintay matapos yung trobol. ;f

rhino465
08-09-2004, 22:51
A poncho and quilted poncho liner are a good way to have portable shelter/warmth that you can wear while you move.

antediluvianist
08-09-2004, 23:28
Ah....haven't we forgotten...condoms?

(to keep dirt out of rifle barrels - what else?) As we all know, it is a historical fact that the soldiers in Desert Storm demanded plenty of condoms. For this purpose. And to keep the camels happy.

mikey177
08-10-2004, 02:33
Actually, persons without kids can put together a bug-out bag much more easily. I personally have to consider stuff that my two kids will use/need should an evacuation or escape scenario arise. Likewise, if major roads are impassable or blocked, folks with kids have to factor in how they are going to hike with six- or seven-year olds in tow. The situation gets much more complicated but, of course, that's life.

antediluvianist
08-10-2004, 02:54
Mikey, you are absolutely right! And to the extent that we have teenage daughters, sanitary napkins!!!! Eeeeeeyyyiuuuu!

Alexii
08-10-2004, 07:51

Maybe a compass. For those days when the GPS runs out of batteries.;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Alexii/huntsman-2.jpg

revo
08-10-2004, 20:29
Now that is an interesting picture, Alexii, sir, because
I was just at Tadgear a few weeks ago and had a nice chat
with the owner.

It's a very small shop in Oakland.

Are you from the San Francisco Bay area as well ?

rhino465
08-11-2004, 00:03
Along with the compass, some good topo maps. And it would help to know how to use them and the compass together before you have a problem. ;)

Re; sanitary napkins ... don't forget that those can double as very effective wound dressings.

LexaDoig
08-11-2004, 05:45
Zip ties, in various sizes

Alexii
08-11-2004, 06:54
Are you from the San Francisco Bay area as well ?

That's where I stay most of the time when I go to the US, does that count?;f When I'm there, I stay at an uncle's place near Millbrae, just five minutes away from the airport.

TadGear seems to have excellent stuff. Their SAS compass that hides in a necklace capsule along with other items seems to be a good buy.

mikey177
08-11-2004, 18:15
Just wanted to share what I found while searching for info on lensatic compasses. Here's a link to the US Army Survival Manual in PDF-- http://www.equipped.org/fm21-76.htm

Happy reading :)

Eye Cutter
08-11-2004, 18:36
mikey: looks like your BoB is all ready to be packed. can you make the final list for the BoB.

kung meron pang nakalimutan, list 'em here!

julianz
08-12-2004, 03:17
i dont know if this is in the list yet, but an extra pair of all weather shoes should complete the list.

anyone cant get far if ones wearing a spartan sandals;f

antediluvianist
08-12-2004, 03:40
My daughter will need a list of all the Starbucks locations in the Philippines. I mean, we're talking survival here, right?

jojo_G19
08-12-2004, 04:26
for my BoB...
ill just need my ol huge jungle knife, ill take it from there and head to the mountains....

...im JOHN RAMBO (my secret revealed)

jojo;z ;z ;z

krinkov
08-12-2004, 05:29
[QUOTE]Originally posted by revo
[B]jerrytrini, sir,

I don't think they have access to MREs in the Phil.

G.I. issue MRE's used to be available in Dau where all the surplus stuff is. i think they still have some today. if you're lucky, there's a few other goodies like a whole barrel assembly for an M14 and maybe a few 30-rd mags for the M16. maybe....