Windows 2000 Problem? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 Problem?

ambassador
07-31-2004, 18:14
Windows 2000 does not do a systems scan on rebot after improper shut down. Is this normal or do I have a problem?

Also every once in a while my computer goes blank then comes back with a blue screen saying "commencing dump of physical memory." Once I turn it off and let it rest for a while it is fine. Any thoughts???

HerrGlock
07-31-2004, 18:17
Originally posted by ambassador
Windows 2000 problem?

Yes. It is.

Boot in safe mode and run a scan of the hard drive. Then run speed disk.

DanH

ambassador
07-31-2004, 18:35
Originally posted by HerrGlock
Yes. It is.

Boot in safe mode and run a scan of the hard drive. Then run speed disk.

DanH
Thanks for the tip...BTW what is speed disk?

HerrGlock
07-31-2004, 19:08
speed disk, disk defragmenter, whatever it's called.

DanH

berniew
07-31-2004, 19:27
Right click on My Computer, left click on properties, left click the advanced tab, click the settings button in the "Startup and Recovery" area. UNcheck the box that says "Automatically Restart" This will allow you to get the info on what the blue screen actually says. Click ok all the way out.

Reboot in safe mode (hit f8 when you see the white bar across the bottom on startup)

Open My Computer, right click on your "Local Drive" (or whatever your hard drive is called) Left click on properties, left click the 'tools' tab. Under the "Error checking" area click the check now button. Hit start to pick up the most obvious errors, then go back and check both boxes, you'll get a warning that you need to reboot. Ok your way out and reboot. The chkdsk will run during startup.

You may have noticed the disk defragmenter there. It doesn't hurt to run it but you probably want to solve the blue screen.

If you have added any software or hardware recently suspect that. Otherwise you may have failing hardware. The blue screen error message should give us more to work with

ambassador
08-01-2004, 06:47
Originally posted by berniew
Right click on My Computer, left click on properties, left click the advanced tab, click the settings button in the "Startup and Recovery" area. UNcheck the box that says "Automatically Restart" This will allow you to get the info on what the blue screen actually says. Click ok all the way out.

Reboot in safe mode (hit f8 when you see the white bar across the bottom on startup)

Open My Computer, right click on your "Local Drive" (or whatever your hard drive is called) Left click on properties, left click the 'tools' tab. Under the "Error checking" area click the check now button. Hit start to pick up the most obvious errors, then go back and check both boxes, you'll get a warning that you need to reboot. Ok your way out and reboot. The chkdsk will run during startup.

You may have noticed the disk defragmenter there. It doesn't hurt to run it but you probably want to solve the blue screen.

If you have added any software or hardware recently suspect that. Otherwise you may have failing hardware. The blue screen error message should give us more to work with
Thanks for all your help. I will copy the blue screen message here for further help if I get it again.