DVD burning info? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DVD burning info?

M2 Carbine
07-31-2004, 20:19
I've been capturing video as mpeg and burning DVD CDs using Pinnacle Studio 8.

Burning with Best Quality the DVD is supposed to hold about an hour video.

I Edit and "Make Movie" with the biggest mpeg the program says the DVD will hold.
It usually says I have just seconds free left on the DVD.

My question is, the finished DVDs are not burned nearly to the outer edge.
There's about 1/4 to 3/8 inch unburned.
It looks like it could hold another 10 minutes or so of video.

Is this normal for DVDs?

Bluzman
08-04-2004, 00:10
M2:
Space left on a DVD is normal. In fact they playback better if you don't use the whole DVD in your burn. It may be due to cheap blanks, but my movies freeze up on some players the last few minutes of a movie, even though I burn them in DVD-R blanks.
I'm going to buy some high quality DVD blanks off the web and see if they playback better than the Memorex & Sony blanks.

chevrofreak
08-04-2004, 06:33
I recently transfered a 5 hour movie from VHS to DVD, so I split it to two discs of 2 hours 30 minutes each. I recorded it directly to MPEG2 LP DVD format, then had the software create the files for me so I could burn it with another program. When I go to "burn" the files to my HD there are 2 options, 1hour, and 2 hour. I chose 2 hour, and even though I had 2 hours 30 minutes of video, it only took up 4100mb on the disc.

Prior to that I recorded a 44 minute video to a DVD at the DVD HQ setting which is supposed to be 1 hour, but it only took up 2800mb on the disc.

There are a lot of different bitrates DVD's can be burned at which will change the video to as much as 4 hours or more on a single 4.7gb DVD.

I really like WinDVD Creator 2 because it allows me to capture straight to MPEG2, which, for me, drops less frames, and takes up far less space. You can also burn the video directly to disc while capturing it, rather than having to render it later. I dislike that, though, because it puts a cheesey menu in by default.

chevrofreak
08-04-2004, 06:36
Originally posted by Bluzman
M2:
Space left on a DVD is normal. In fact they playback better if you don't use the whole DVD in your burn. It may be due to cheap blanks, but my movies freeze up on some players the last few minutes of a movie, even though I burn them in DVD-R blanks.
I'm going to buy some high quality DVD blanks off the web and see if they playback better than the Memorex & Sony blanks.

What burner do you have? On Deathwinds recomendation I purchased an NEC-2500a and 100 Prodisc 4x DVD-R's. I used a cracked/updated firmware that allows the Prodisc to be burned at 8x, and have gone through 48 discs so far without one single error.

My cheap Apex DVD player sometimes plays the audio completely out of sync with the video on a really low bitrate video, such as the one mentioned above, but, my computers all play them just fine.

Sulaco
08-04-2004, 10:12
I would say it is normal for your setup.

http://www.videohelp.com/

http://www.doom9.org/

http://www.cdfreaks.com/

M2 Carbine
08-05-2004, 10:57
Thanks guys.
Sulaco, thanks for the sites, I've got a lot of reading to do.

I've been trying all the settings I can find in Pinnacle Studio 8 using two computers.
A Compaq and new HP with different brand burners.

I think it's a "normal" Pinnacle Studio 8 thing.
I can burn much more video/time on the DVD disk but with a large loss of video quality.
(I haven't looked at what 50% quality loss is but I probably don't want it)

At the best DVD setting the CD is supposed to hold an hour of viedo (I haven't timed it) but instead of the DVD holding 4.7 gig it will only hold 3+. (with the last 3/8 inch unwritten).

I've read where soon they will have CDs that will hold many gigs, amazing.