Switched to Apple [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Switched to Apple

sgtlmj
07-31-2004, 23:23
I'm a long time PC builder/fixer/user and I just recently bought an Apple 12" PowerBook.

The main reason I did this was for security. Most of us are drawn to this site because of Glocks. Most of us have a particular philosophy on security which is why we choose to own firearms. Looking at the computer side of things, I saw the huge holes and exploits in Windoze.

I wanted a computer that would just work and keep my documents safe. I found all of this in the Mac. It has been rock solid, and I have been running it for months now.

It isn't susceptable to viruses, spyware, etc. It has excellent encryption for your files. I can do almost everything the PC does except for the high-end games. I'll always keep a PC around for BF1942 and FarCry.

I still fix my friend's and families computers on a regular basis, and continue to curse MS along the way.

If you are at your witt's end with your PC, give Apple a look. They've come a long way in the last couple of years.

Jaltered
07-31-2004, 23:48
You've chosen wisely. :cool:

NetNinja
08-01-2004, 08:58
It's only a matter of time that virus's and spyware will be written for the Apple.

I like Apples a lot but I went through the proprietary hardware road once. (Amiga Computer)
The third party stuff was just as expensive.

I think
Apples way of generating revenue is to keep tweaking thier OS to force thier users to upgrade.

Cheetah
Puma
Jaguar
Panther
Simba?
Hakuna Matada?

I must admit thier OS rocks! It beats the pants off of Windows and is light years ahead of Linux.

I highly doubt they are breaking even on thier highly stylized machines.

The most successful product to come from Apple is the Ipod.
The second most sucessful product was the IPod that interfaced with the PC. Now! there're talking!
But how many 5 cent songs does it take to make a profit?

I love thier large LCD monitors! Those things are the bomb!

But in the end it's still a Windows world and there is tons of software for the PC.

sgtlmj
08-01-2004, 09:48
I've always been a bit of a non-conformist. Just because everyone else breathes mostly nitrogen doesn't mean I have to. :)

I run VirtualPC on the Mac, which allows me to run the tricky apps that haven't caught up with Mac yet. Only annoying thing with VirtualPC is that I have to keep downloading the Windoze updates and keeping my anti-virus software current. {sigh}

As far as viruses, Unix is more modular. I like to explain it like the old X-Mas tree lights. One bulb pulled out and the whole string died. Unix can crash individual programs without loosing everything else.

PC/Windoze to me is like buying a car chassis and then having to find an engine for it. Apple makes the car, engine, and puts a nice paint job on it. With the technology becomming exponentially cheaper, look for the companies to start making proprietary everything, but still be compatable with everyone else. Like car manufacturers making hundreds of models of cars that all run on the same fuel.

Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so Brain, but if they made computers wouldn't they have to change the name to MicroHard? Narf!

Halo
08-01-2004, 19:49
You could have just downloaded one of many flavors of Linux and installed it on a PC for a grand total of $0 ;)

The Macintosh might be a nice machine, but don't make the mistake of thinking it is infalliable with security. I seem to recall a root-level problem with OS X a while back, and Apple wasn't exactly johnny on the spot with their response. The security exploits with Microsoft are definitely a problem, and I am not their biggest fan, but it is partly due to the predominance of their systems. People can and will successfully exploit other systems, especially as they become more commonplace.

sgtlmj
08-01-2004, 22:58
BTDT

I had my PC on a dual boot w/ Mandrake for a while. I also keep a copy of Knoppix on hand for any root level x86 problems that come up from time to time. Messed with Debian, Red Hat, Suse. Yeah, Linux is cool, but not yet refined.

I know that the only computer that is totally secure is the one that hasn't been built yet, but the Mac fits the bill for me at this time.

Halo
08-02-2004, 13:56
I would consider a Mac, in addition to my current computers, if they weren't so expensive. I think Apple is displaying the same attitude with the iPod as they did in the early PC market. The x86 platform is the dominant computer today because IBM allowed a clone market to come into being. Imagine if everybody and their brother was making an Apple clone in the same way. It would certainly make software development for the Mac more appealing.

sgtlmj
08-02-2004, 14:00
I agree that loosening the license would allow for Mac clones everywhere.

Notice that IBM makes the processors for Apple?

RonC
08-02-2004, 14:18
We bought an iBook recently. On a lark, I compared Dell's price for a comparably equipped portable including software equivalent to what Apple provides for free. The price was about the same. While many PC laptops are advertised for <$1000, when you trick one out to be useful, it ain't so cheap.

While the comments about Apple security are right on, both ways, the fact is, the Apple is fundamentally a Unix machine shipped with almost all the hardware and software in a "safe" condition, i.e., ports closed, etc., so the beginner has less to fear out of the box.

That combined with the lesser glory available from breaching a Mac network equals more security for the average Apple user.

The fact that IBM gave away the crown jewels to MS 20 or more years ago does not make a recommendation that Apple follow suit. Besides, the styling and design of Apple products are first rate, copied by most of its competitors. (If Apple went under, we would all be screwed because MS would have no software design at all. Just my bias.)

Halo
08-02-2004, 14:31
I think that arguments over different computing platforms are already becoming anachronistic. The interconnectedness of the world is quickly making different platforms share so much in terms of hardware and content compatibility, that the evolution into some new "hybrid of all" is almost inevitable.

When I first started using home computers in the early 80s, the advocates from opposing camps were almost hostile (in the most nerdy way of course). Nowadays I see PCs and Macs using the same memory modules, storage devices, peripheral interfaces, and so on. The "war" has steadily shifted away from hardware and is now primarily one of software. Even that will become less of a distinction as more and more applications are written for easy portability (Java, etc).

TheEggman
08-02-2004, 14:35
until OSX. Until then I kept one around as a 'Neccessary Evil' so I could troubleshoot and test Web Apps and deal with the occasional Mac document or font.

If you have to move back and forth between Macs and PCs a lot it can get a bit confusing. Get a Two/Three Button mouse and you can get your Right-Click back. That helps a lot with the transition.

Once I got used to the subtle application differences I saw why people can get passionate over their Macs!

I am also a Linux Admin and the underlying LINUX core opens up a LOT of power.

Apple also never adopted the "It's gotta run under DOS 3.0" attitude. By FORCING their users to dump apps, games, etc. when major OS upgrades were issued they avoided a huge number of hassles that Microsoft encounters attempting to keep outdated apps compatable with the latest version of Windoze. Mac users know, every couple of years you're going to have to scrap/upgrade your old legacy stuff.

(WAHHHHH My DOS 2.0 Games from 1984 won't run under Windows XP -- WAHHHH)

Also expansion (except some video) is pretty much standard, off-the-shelf stuff, curing the proprietary hardware ills of the past.

Now I'm in a <I>"Mac/PC - Who Cares"</I> frame of mind. I like the PC because that's what I'm used to, but after an hour or two at the Mac it's just as comfortable.

Apple was, however, always able to get more out of a Megahertz than the PC.

(I also have a strange background - Engineering (PC) and Art (Mac))

Just my $.02

Egg

RonC
08-02-2004, 14:36
True enough. But my Mac will still not run emailed *.exe *.bas and *.scr files.

sgtlmj
08-02-2004, 16:13
I haven't had a bit of trouble with compatibility, networking, etc.

I have two printers, one a LaserJet 6L hooked up to my router/server and a DeskJet 6122 hooked up to an Airport Express. I can print to either from Mac or PC. Mac and PC see each other on the network just fine. I back stuff up to an external 160GB HD partitioned down the middle. Just move the USB cable to either computer when its time for backup and it works. When I need more space than my 12" PB, I span screens to my 17" Planar (Wish I could afford one of the new 23" cinema displays.)

I have VirtualPC on the Mac, but that's mostly for running FrontPage and Weatherbug from time to time.

OS X Panther is hugely ahead of XP, and when Tiger comes out next year, Longhorn will have to go back to the drawing board to play catch up.

Trying to get my family to switch. Mom and dad will be getting an eMac for Christmas, and the g/f an iBook. I've handed my PB to novices and they are up and running in no time flat. Just have to get used the the toolbar being on the top all the time.

I'm a hardcore PC user too. My o/c'ed P4 is now relegated to games, storage and the occasional thing that Mac can't do in the Windows world. I just like the Mac for its OS and sheer coolness factor. Being a 12", it goes with me everywhere. My poor old Armada M300 is velcro'd inside my patrol car. :D