yahoo vs. gmail vs. hotmail [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : yahoo vs. gmail vs. hotmail

1911lover
08-03-2004, 22:36
I was wondering which email servers GT prefer. I have an acount under all three and beleive that currently yahoo is best, but beleive that gmail will improve its service and beat yahoo. what are your oppinions?

ronin_asano
08-04-2004, 08:37
hotmail blows just because of who provides it.

yahoo is pretty good for a webmail service.

gmail is average, and i don't like the privacy issues.

Dandapani
08-04-2004, 09:03
Yahoo since 2001. I even purchased a premium account to remove most of the ads.

1911lover
08-04-2004, 09:07
awww. some of the ads were neat, like the ones that you were supposed to keep the car on the road using ur curser and other interactive ads

Ned Ludd
08-04-2004, 11:09
The premium version of yahoo mail is one of the great bargains. For $20 a year you get 4Gigs of storage, email you can access anywhere and pretty good spam protection. Unlike Hotmail, it works well all the time and has few limits on attachments.

-NL

1911lover
08-04-2004, 11:26
why do you need 4 gigs? if your getting that many emails wouldnt a nice free pop3 acount work better

David_G17
08-04-2004, 12:01
hotmail, just b/c i've had it since hotmail was new.

my how they have changed.

ronin_asano
08-04-2004, 12:08
Originally posted by dmobrien2001
Yahoo since 2001. I even purchased a premium account to remove most of the ads.

wait, if you have a premium yahoo account you still have to look at ads?

AZMAN
08-04-2004, 14:40
Originally posted by ronin_asano
wait, if you have a premium yahoo account you still have to look at ads?

The following is from yahoo...

Yahoo Mail Plus

SpamGuard Plus
Simply by reporting spam, you train your personal spam filters to recognize similar messages in the future and divert them to your Bulk folder.

200 blocked addresses and 50 filters
Block mail from up to 200 unwanted senders. Use up to 50 filters to automatically sort incoming messages into designated folders or send them to your mobile device.

Virtually unlimited storage
The more emails you get, the more storage space you need. With Yahoo! Mail Plus, you get a whopping 2GB of email storage – it's like an online archive.

Virus cleaning†
Automatically clean infected email attachments to help protect your computer from dangerous viruses – whether you use our web interface or a POP3 mail client. More info.

No graphical ads
We've removed all graphical ads from the Mail pages, so your experience is even more enjoyable.

No promotional taglines in messages
Whether you send from the web interface or through a POP3 client, all messages you send are free from ad taglines.

AddressGuard
Create disposable email addresses to use when you don't want to give out your primary address. Messages sent to your disposable addresses will be delivered to your inbox or to any personal folder you designate. More info.

POP access
With POP access, you can download your Yahoo! Mail messages using your desktop email application, such as Outlook™, and then access them offline.

Mail forwarding
With Mail forwarding, you can automatically forward your email to another email account – even another Yahoo! Mail address.

Archiving
Back up your entire mailbox, or select specific folders and dates. After downloading and unzipping your archive, simply drag and drop the messages into Outlook Express™ for easy offline access.

Send messages from any of your email accounts
Now you can send messages under different email identities. When you write a message, just select the "From" email address you want to use.

No account expiration
When you subscribe to Yahoo! Mail Plus, you will no longer need to sign in periodically to keep your account active.

Stationery ‡
Personalize your email using a wide variety of backgrounds. Easily access your favorite stationery. More info.

only $19.99/year*
less than $2/month!
To order Yahoo! Mail Plus, you need
to have a free Yahoo! Mail account.

1911lover
08-04-2004, 14:43
nice

SamBuca
08-04-2004, 15:17
I don't like spam filters because of privacy issues. It's kind of creepy....I mean, some program reading my email to determine its contents? Come on.

Sounds dumb? Yup. So do the gmail privacy concerns.

1911lover
08-04-2004, 15:22
i agree, but how often are you sending mail that has important info in it that shouldnt be read by COMPUTERS

ronin_asano
08-04-2004, 17:51
Originally posted by SamBuca
I don't like spam filters because of privacy issues. It's kind of creepy....I mean, some program reading my email to determine its contents? Come on.

Sounds dumb? Yup. So do the gmail privacy concerns.

it's not dumb at all. one big difference is the intention of the scanning, and the fact that a profile is kept related specifically to your id in order to target the ads. a spam filter does not track specific information in this way, nor does it set cookies on your machine.

SamBuca
08-04-2004, 21:18
it's not dumb at all. one big difference is the intention of the scanning, and the fact that a profile is kept related specifically to your id in order to target the ads. a spam filter does not track specific information in this way, nor does it set cookies on your machine.

Bayesian filtering keeps a profile on what your email looks like. Gmail keeps a profile on what your email looks like.

A cookie is irrelevant since it tracks it by email address (as in, your account), not by a random cookie. If you dislike cookies, then just type your login/pass everytime you access Gmail.

The misinformation on this tech board is almost as bad as the other gun boards' representation of Glocks.

alpine18
08-04-2004, 21:54
Hotmail has gone down the tubes ever since Microsoft bought them. They tried several times about 5 years ago to unsuccessfully to convert their server system over to the Windows operating system, which promptly crashed and caused all sorts of problems for them. They finally did it, and they have sucked ever since. They used to have one of the better server clusters in the industry and were very stable. Since then their service has become mediocre. Avoid them like the plague.
Personally I use Yahoo mail. 100mb of free e-mail storage. You can't match that anywhere else.

ronin_asano
08-05-2004, 07:40
Bayesian filtering keeps a profile on what your email looks like. Gmail keeps a profile on what your email looks like.

A cookie is irrelevant since it tracks it by email address (as in, your account), not by a random cookie. If you dislike cookies, then just type your login/pass everytime you access Gmail.

The misinformation on this tech board is almost as bad as the other gun boards' representation of Glocks.

speaking of misinformation, cookies are required for one to use gmail, and cookies are not irrelevant as a privacy concern.

SamBuca
08-05-2004, 12:09
speaking of misinformation, cookies are required for one to use gmail, and cookies are not irrelevant as a privacy concern.

To stay logged in, yes. Session cookies are not saved because they expire after that session.

Don't want cookies? Don't click the "remember me for 2 weeks" thing. They'll go away when you close the browser.

Anything else? ;Q

ronin_asano
08-05-2004, 12:47
To stay logged in, yes. Session cookies are not saved because they expire after that session.

Don't want cookies? Don't click the "remember me for 2 weeks" thing. They'll go away when you close the browser.

Anything else? ;Q

do you have a gmail account? cookies are required. i don't use the 'remember me for two weeks' thing. all that does is cache your password.

clear every google cookie from your machine. set the browser to prompt you for cookies. log into gmail, and watch what happens. deny the cookies and see if you can get in. even if you allow the one for the session, you will still be prompted for others, and you will get a message that you will need to enable cookies to use the site.

anything else? yes, as a matter of fact. guess what? they use the cookies to direct ads.

1911lover
08-05-2004, 12:49
Dont you use cookies in GT??

ronin_asano
08-05-2004, 13:00
Originally posted by 1911lover
Dont you use cookies in GT??

yes. however, one thing the gmail cookies do is affect the rest of the google stuff. for instance, now if i go to google.com to do a search, i see text ads, where i didn't before. i used the adblock extension of firefox to block them.

the novelty of gmail has worn off. i don't even use it anymore. i just hold on to the account in order to get some invites to send to some friends that wanted one. so far, they have only given me two.

SamBuca
08-05-2004, 19:08
do you have a gmail account? cookies are required. i don't use the 'remember me for two weeks' thing. all that does is cache your password.

clear every google cookie from your machine. set the browser to prompt you for cookies. log into gmail, and watch what happens. deny the cookies and see if you can get in. even if you allow the one for the session, you will still be prompted for others, and you will get a message that you will need to enable cookies to use the site.

anything else? yes, as a matter of fact. guess what? they use the cookies to direct ads.

Sir...

SESSION cookies expire when you close the browser. It is REQUIRED so that Gmail knows your login info....GT operates the same way. Gmail tracks ads based on EMAIL ADDRESS, just like any other smart business.

This cookie business is getting out of control. Cookies are not harmful, it doesn't matter if they "track you". You're just a number to them.

Specifically relating to Gmail, I *WANT* targeted advertising. I don't want to see "punch the money" ads. I want to see gun ads. I want to see computer ads. I want to see radio ads. Advertising is how they make money...if you don't want ads, then send them a check for their service.

These "privacy concerns" are nonsense....it's the sky falling all over again started by some wacko liberal jerks trying to get attention.

mzenzer
08-05-2004, 19:52
Is gmail readily available yet? I thought it was still in beta. If it's still in beta, how does one go about getting on the list of beta testers?

frefoo
08-06-2004, 00:56
Originally posted by mzenzer
Is gmail readily available yet? I thought it was still in beta. If it's still in beta, how does one go about getting on the list of beta testers?

Question 1. gmail is still in beta stage.

Question 2. gmail will send out "invites" to current members allowing them to invite a non gmail user to join.

With 1 (7 possible AOL email accounts), 2 (7 possible) ISP email accounts, 2 corporate email accounts, 1 (Unlimited with in reason) domain email accounts, I use my gmail account for email when I dont really care about privacy. If privacy is an issue I will have the email sent to another account.

Blast
08-06-2004, 01:24
Yahoo

hwyhobo
08-06-2004, 01:30
I still prefer shell access to my email account. That gives me 100% protection from any weird stuff. But, I do have smaller emails without attachments copied to my yahoo account. Once I prune my emails on my server, I also use IMAP to download them to my laptop. Call me paranoid...

ronin_asano
08-06-2004, 08:27
Sir...

SESSION cookies expire when you close the browser. It is REQUIRED so that Gmail knows your login info....GT operates the same way. Gmail tracks ads based on EMAIL ADDRESS, just like any other smart business.

This cookie business is getting out of control. Cookies are not harmful, it doesn't matter if they "track you". You're just a number to them.

Specifically relating to Gmail, I *WANT* targeted advertising. I don't want to see "punch the money" ads. I want to see gun ads. I want to see computer ads. I want to see radio ads. Advertising is how they make money...if you don't want ads, then send them a check for their service.

These "privacy concerns" are nonsense....it's the sky falling all over again started by some wacko liberal jerks trying to get attention.

i understand what a session cookie is. what i'm telling you is that gmail uses more than just simply session cookies, and those cookies must be allowed to use the service.

i confirmed this by using firefox and having it prompt me whenever a cookie is trying to be set. it will also tell you the expiration date of the cookies. when you first log in, yes, you are correct, there is a session cookie. after that, there a few more that come up, and they are not for the session.

1911lover
08-07-2004, 13:09
I used yahoo for about three years so it wasnt the best service when i first got it (4 megs?) but once it upgraded to 100 megs it became pretty nice. one thing i like about yahoo is that with a short download, you can make it your default email so that when you click on email links (fufu@aol.com ex.) it opens up yahoo instead of microsoft outlook.

1911lover
08-07-2004, 22:33
yes. however, one thing the gmail cookies do is affect the rest of the google stuff. for instance, now if i go to google.com to do a search, i see text ads, where i didn't before. i used the adblock extension of firefox to block them.

actually, those text adds you see on the side of a google search have been around for a long time, there what google has to use so that it can have a google homepage without ads on it

ronin_asano
08-08-2004, 08:41
actually, those text adds you see on the side of a google search have been around for a long time, there what google has to use so that it can have a google homepage without ads on it

yes, i know they have been around, i guess i'm not being clear about my point.

previously when visiting google for searches, i blocked those ads with the adblock extension of firefox. i disallowed any cookies from google, and i did not see those ads.

*after* getting a gmail account, and being required to enable cookies from google, those ads will now appear on the search page, even though i still have them filtered with adblock.

1911lover
08-08-2004, 14:31
I see

metallic
08-08-2004, 15:47
I've basically switched over all my email from Hotmail to Gmail and havent looked back yet. Nice thing is that I have a Gmail mail checker integrated right into Firefox via the Gmail extension.

What I really like about Gmail is the quality of the web interface. It is extremely responsive and the keyboard shortcuts make me much more productive.

As for the privacy issues, I really am not worried.

1911lover
08-08-2004, 17:45
thats how i feel. i swithed from yahoo to gmail recently just for the novelty of it, but now i think its actually a better email client.
the security doesnt vother me either, for google to use ur emails against you somehow, they'd have to have a person search every email sent on gmail

ronin_asano
08-08-2004, 18:07
i don't think the interface is all that impressive. they are basically ripping off lotus notes with the 'views' becoming 'labels' and they don't quite have it implemented just right.

i think that if you label an item, it should be removed from the inbox view, and should then only be seen when i click the link for that label, when i go to the all mail view, or if any search i run pulls the item in question as part of the query. this cuts down on clutter. while i know they say you can search when you need to find something, that's great, but if it's only a few days old, i don't need to bring up a search function, i could just eyeball it.

they also have some issues with sending one email to multiple contacts. i realize it's still in beta, but when i reported that particular problem, they replied with instructions on how to clear my internet explorer cache. i don't use ie, and recorded that when i filled out the problem report. plus, how would clearing the browser cache solve anything?

it doesn't inspire much confidence.

so anyone get any invites recently? i've only gotten two so far.

1911lover
08-08-2004, 18:16
Gmail's idea on the labeling system based is the ever popular "don't delete anything" so that your imbox holds all emails then the labels hold the emails u actually wanna see

1 month, no invites

metallic
08-08-2004, 18:23
so anyone get any invites recently? i've only gotten two so far.

I havent gotten any so far, but I've only had an account since late July. Hopefully I'll get some soon since one of my fraternity brothers is dying for an invite.

Edited for a spelling correction

ronin_asano
08-08-2004, 18:24
Gmail's idea on the labeling system based is the ever popular "don't delete anything" so that your imbox holds all emails then the labels hold the emails u actually wanna see

correct. however, i don't think everything should remain in the inbox. that creates useless clutter. if i am going to organize something with a label, it should then be removed from the inbox. it would still be searchable, and i could easily see everything under that label by clicking the link for the given label. it just makes more sense that way.

1 month, no invites

can't recall exactly how long i've had mine. maybe a month and half. as i said, 2 invites in that time.

1911lover
08-08-2004, 18:36
correct. however, i don't think everything should remain in the inbox. that creates useless clutter. if i am going to organize something with a label, it should then be removed from the inbox. it would still be searchable, and i could easily see everything under that label by clicking the link for the given label. it just makes more sense that way.

i guess that just goes back to gmail's privacy issues. gmail just wants to make it harder for you to completely delete something important.

1911lover
08-08-2004, 18:37
by the way, i have a gmail invite for the first person to pm me

1911lover
08-08-2004, 19:47
invite gone no more pm's!!

1911lover
08-08-2004, 20:48
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you go to "create filters" and fill in the criteria on the first page however you want, on the second page, you can then select, "skip inbox" as well as "aply label" so messages from friends and such are not hidden in the inbox

ronin_asano
08-09-2004, 11:14
creating filters is not practical in this situation, to me. if you don't have criteria to filter on, it's pointless.

you may organize different things under the same label, different subjects, different senders, whatever. it might be hard to find a common item to filter them on. however, i can manually dump them in a label with no issues. but that should still remove it from the inbox view.

1911lover
08-09-2004, 21:03
then just label ur message, then archive the message in the inbox

ronin_asano
08-10-2004, 09:16
an extra step that should not be needed. labeling the message should handle it.

in other news, it looks like my gmail account is broken. i can log in and receive mail, but i cannot send new mail or reply to anything. when i hit the send button i get a dialog that says 'javascript error, please try again'.

i am running ff 0.9.3, and my config is identical to my 0.9.2 installation, and it worked with gmail no problem.

anyone else having issues?

metallic
08-10-2004, 10:31
Working fine for me with Firefox 0.9.3.

ronin_asano
08-10-2004, 11:01
interesting.

i would be all for blaming my configuration if had changed anything, but as i said, the only difference is the newer version of firefox.

dkt2k
08-10-2004, 11:15
Yahoo for me. I bought the premium service, and it rocks.

The Address Guard is worth the price of admission alone. I have set up about a dozen alias addresses that I use when I have to give an email add to sign up for something. I include the name of the site in the alias address so they're easy to keep track of. If I start getting spam to that particular add, then I know who sold my info, and I can eliminate the spam by simply deleting that alias address.

Yahoo does a great job segregating spam into a bulk mail folder. It has been nearly 100% effective in determining spam from legit emails.

2 GB of storage, ad-free, etc. etc. all for $19.99 a year. It works for me...

dkt2k