Pinhole photography [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pinhole photography

noway
08-05-2004, 08:54
Anybody here ever did pinhole photography use a modern AF camera?

I started about a year ago making some pinhole lense for a canon 620 and ElanII. I whent to a local photo shop and bought a few spare body caps and use a heated small needle and poke a hole in the center of the cap for the aperture. I whent from the outside > inside on one and the inside >outside on the other. The later , had a smoother edge around the aperture.

Then I whent out to a fishing pier and setup my camera on tripod and started making exposure using a timer of the sun over the bait house. It took me about a full 36exp roll of film in order to get 2-3 nice photos. I later determine my apertue was F128 or something around that. You get a light meter and timer you can calculate your exposure pretty good, just factor in for reciporatory failures if you start making 1-3sec or longer exposures. You can also place a std 50mm lense on the body, take a reading using the onboard metering and then adjust the exposure based on your guessed pinhole aperture sized, and bracket 1-2 stop above and below.

btw: if you do try this using a canon body, you have to to place the camera on manual and used the buld setting since the camera will not have a lense to control for apertue cuz the electronic contacts aren't closed electronically.

if you want the expensive pre-made lense, take a look at the site online or ebay or just make one using the hints from

http://www.camerahacker.com/EOS_Pin-Hole_Lens/

Timber Wolf
08-05-2004, 13:59
Thanks for the link. INteresting article. Will have to scan over the rest of his website.

TW

General Sherman
08-06-2004, 10:48
Another unique trick is to photograph the infrared light which human eyes cannot see.
I photographed the light out of my stereo remote control. Put the remote to the lens of my Canon S100 digital camera in a dark room and took a photo.
Here is what it looks like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/Chip00/IRlight.jpg

Now with an infrared filter on my camera I could photograph nature in a different light, like film photographers did with infrared film for special effects. :)