Which gun carry purse for my wife? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which gun carry purse for my wife?

Jaltered
08-05-2004, 22:05
Help us out ladies...

My wife is looking for a purse to carry a G26 in. She'd prefer it fit the following guidelines:

- NOT UGLY!
- Not huge or bulky
- Not terribly expensive

Can any lady glockers (or men with gun-toting wives) recommend any specific "gun carry purses" that would work for my wife. Thanks!

Nestor
08-06-2004, 06:47
Deleted...

glocka
08-06-2004, 07:11
;f Hi.Not a lady,butt, Coronado Leather just sent me an e-mail talking about sales on ladies carrying purses.www.coronadoleather.com l.o.l.

^3 ^3 ^3 ^3

SouthernGal
08-06-2004, 07:17
My instructor when I had a permit in TN advised NOT putting a firearm in a purse. If your purse is snatched (which isn't at all unlikely where I live), the perp now has your purse AND your weapon (and could use your weapon on you). He advised carrying on your body instead.

Jaltered
08-06-2004, 08:00
Yes, we're aware of that possibility. And I do appreciate the good advice.

However, I'd rather my wife carry in a purse than not at all, and "for now", that seems like what it's come down to.

So if anyone else has suggestions on brands of gun purses, we're listening. Thanks.

c-mama
08-06-2004, 08:26
I know that the purse thing has been discussed and I don't know of anyone who "LOVES" their carry purse. I think that there are some really good ones out there, but you have to be willing to spend big bucks on them. I do not have any sources or links to provide, though.

I just didn't want you to think you were being ignored! :)

SouthernGal
08-06-2004, 08:52
http://www.holster-connection.com/html/galco/galco_purse.html
(pis on bottom of page)

I took a look at several sites and this is the group of handbags I liked the best. I'm probably the wrong person to ask since I have an admitted "fetish" over expensive handbags. I don't personally own one of these, but I can tell you by looking at them that these are what I'd be looking for. I can't stand an ugly handbag.

SouthernGal
08-06-2004, 08:54
Let me just mention that these prices are HIGHER than the prices of some of my D&B purses!!!!

I might pay the price, but once the mdse came in, I'd have to see if it was as well made as the price dictates!

Tdancer2
08-06-2004, 09:05
Here is a good link about different women's body types and good places to conceal.

women (http://www.womensholsters.com/choosing.html)

If you are going to spend money on a holster/purse you might as well get something she will surely use.

I also don't agree with carrying a firearm in a purse - and I also think that women can't get away with owning one holster. I have multiple holsters for use with multiple outfits.

This way I don't have to change my dressing habbits to be able to conceal!

MrsKitty
08-06-2004, 09:09
Find a good but inexpensive holster that you can use with a regular purse that she likes. Or a bag with a seperate compartment for the gun that isn't a carry purse. Be creative but make sure the trigger is covered.

I use an Aigner bag, a Vera Bradley knockoff and a custom made Vera Bradley knockoff a friend made with an extra "pocket".

I own a genuine carry purse and hate the damn thing. They are too padded. Even with a big bag, you don't have enough room for your wallet ;Q

I still say us ladies should go into the carry purse design business. Men have no idea what we need (no offense but you just don't from lack of experiece guys!);)

MrsKitty
08-06-2004, 09:10
I also use a "day planner" depending upon where I am and dress. Something else to think about.

SouthernGal
08-06-2004, 10:45
Originally posted by misskitty5077
I still say us ladies should go into the carry purse design business. Men have no idea what we need (no offense but you just don't from lack of experiece guys!);)

You are SO right!!

I got the new D&B "It" purse a few months ago and was amazed that most if not all of the new D&B's have built in pockets--one for your cell phone (how many times have we fumbled w/bags looking for a ringing cell phone) and a "hook" in the bottom for your keys so that they are easy to get to even with a bunch of "junk" in the bottom.

A purse with features like this in addition to being built for concealment would be a good sell, IMHO.

Dandapani
08-06-2004, 10:57
Originally posted by Jaltered
However, I'd rather my wife carry in a purse than not at all, and "for now", that seems like what it's come down to.

My mother (rest in peace) carried her Berreta Bobcat in a small, zipped up, locked, gun rug in the bottom of her purse. I guess the weight of the gun gave her more momentum if she needed to cold-conk some with her purse :) Oh, it was full mag loaded, +1 in the chamber!

beachside39
08-07-2004, 20:50
I bought a Hobo purse from www.coronadoleather.com for my wife and she hass been very pleased. This model is larger that you seem to want but they have smaller models that would suit her needs.

I've god a number of products from them and have been pleased with the quality and value.

Jaegergirl
08-08-2004, 21:30
when i get my permit, i plan to carry in my purse when i can't carry it on my person. personally, i think most carry purses look too obvious. i've looked all over the internet and they all seem to have that tell-tale zipper. the ones that don't are just too dang expensive. i'll probably to go ebags and just buy a regular purse, then have my gun in a good holster so the trigger is properly covered. i remember reading on here once a man who's wife bought a regular purse that looked just like a carry purse but it wasn't and it was a fraction of the cost. so there's another idea.

happy shopping.

cowboywannabe
08-08-2004, 21:34
all the purses we've looked at that were made to carry a gun, were up around 100 bucks!!!!

my wife settled on a snubbie worn IWB at 1 o'clock or dropped in a regular purse, in its own pocket with nothing else in the way.

Vic303
08-09-2004, 11:12
I've got a Coronado Leather purse for those times when the UCR or SmartCarry are not practical. Extremely fine quality, and I guess worth the cost (not really keyed into the costs of purses myself, but the quality of workmanship is worth the $$).
www.coronadoleather.com

Jaltered
08-09-2004, 17:44
So are there "gun purse" companies out there OTHER than Coronado or Galco? I'm sure they're fine, but mucho $$$. We're considering rigging our own "gun purse" for her because of cost.

BTW, she went with the Springfield XD-9 subcompact, and loves it! :)