linux grep error [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : linux grep error

grantglock
08-06-2004, 08:44
when i try and run the command grep i get a one word error, has anyone ever seen this before?

[root@win-4-u log]# cat messages | grep anything
Aborted
[root@win-4-u log]#

HerrGlock
08-06-2004, 09:35
Try it the other way (you would have won the "useless use of cat" award with that one)

grep anything messages

See if it's cat or grep giving you heartburn.

DanH

hwyhobo
08-06-2004, 10:57
grantglock, what is your linux ver? Did you make changes to the base distribution? "Aborted" is not an error message that comes from either 'cat' or 'grep', so it appears to be generated by the system. If you run 'cat' on some other file, what happens? What if you run 'grep' on some other file?

HerrGlock
08-06-2004, 11:10
My guess is an updated library without updating the file management stuff or visa-versa.

DanH

grantglock
08-07-2004, 10:19
cat works fine, it's grep that causes the Aborted error. The system is Red Hat 9. I have not updated anything lately. Maybe the Red Hat network messed it up. Last time i used it was over a month ago. I thought i used grep since then though.

Tennessee Slim
08-07-2004, 11:17
If there's another copy of grep on your system, try using the absolute path to a copy isn't in your environmental path settings.

HerrGlock
08-07-2004, 13:14
RedHat 9 has end-of-life'd. Update to Fedora Core 2. You've got a library error somewhere. As TennSlim said, see if you have another version of grep somewhere, preferably a static one and try that one.

DanH

grantglock
08-10-2004, 11:14
update:

I noticed that one of the drives had failed about a month ago (using RAID 5) so I was going to rebuild that drive, when I went to shut down the machine, errors started coming up everywhere, nothing descriptive but the same Aborted error.

Computer won't even boot now.

I used the Knoppix cd to mount the filesystem and copied mail spools and /home to another computer until I can rebuild the failed computer using Fedora 2. Freaking nightmare. This is a mail / DNS server that has about 2500 Internet customers on it so I've been here since 4:00AM getting us back up and running. Only 2 hours downtime, not so bad.

I wish our company would spend the money for a backup server I can switch to when things like this happen.