Win2K Install.... freezes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Win2K Install.... freezes

StoneGiant
08-08-2004, 18:19
I'm attempting to install Win2k, and have done everything EXCEPT replace the motherboard and RAM....

And it halts at almost the same place every time in the install.... "Saves Settings".

The PC boots, shows 392MB of RAM. I've:

1) replaced the power supply;

2) moved the RAM cards around;

3) re-formatted the Western Digital 40GB hard drive;

4) removed all cards except the video card.

Any suggestions? This is truly bizarre. I've seen blown motherboards before, but generally they just fail to boot. I've seen bad RAM before, but never a situation where it'll seize up during the final portion of the install.

Thanks!

berniew
08-08-2004, 20:59
have you tried pulling most of the RAM

Originally posted by StoneGiant
I'm attempting to install Win2k, and have done everything EXCEPT replace the motherboard and RAM....

And it halts at almost the same place every time in the install.... "Saves Settings".

The PC boots, shows 392MB of RAM. I've:

1) replaced the power supply;

2) moved the RAM cards around;

3) re-formatted the Western Digital 40GB hard drive;

4) removed all cards except the video card.

Any suggestions? This is truly bizarre. I've seen blown motherboards before, but generally they just fail to boot. I've seen bad RAM before, but never a situation where it'll seize up during the final portion of the install.

Thanks!

StoneGiant
08-08-2004, 21:09
Yep.... gotta admit, it's got me perplexed. Checked out the cooling fan over the CPU and it's working fine.

Could it be the battery on the motherboard? That's the one thing I haven't dinked with yet....

berniew
08-08-2004, 21:13
I've seen a bad battery cause errors, but not like this.

Was this system running an OS before?

Any wierd jumper settings on the MB? BIOS updates/settings?

Yep.... gotta admit, it's got me perplexed. Checked out the cooling fan over the CPU and it's working fine.

Could it be the battery on the motherboard? That's the one thing I haven't dinked with yet....

StoneGiant
08-08-2004, 21:22
This is a reinstall of W2K... My daughter was getting various freezes. When I looked at her machine, her firewall was wide open, and she had GAIN and a lot of other junk on it, so I figured a clean install was indicated.

So, to sum it up:

1) Previously observed freezes

2) Attempt at clean install

3) Machine is one step away from being dumped from a 2nd story window.

I'm thinking it might be a heating problem with the CPU, or perhaps on the video card. But I have to admit it appears to be bad mojo at this point. I'll probably try another video card tomorrow and see what happens.

The only common failure point appears to be when the install attempts to "Saves Settings". That indicates it's either attempting a write to the hard disk or it's waiting on an interrupt from the motherboard or video card. After 12 hours of playing dectective, it's got me by the cohones.

:steamed:

berniew
08-09-2004, 07:37
You probably don't have this luxury, but what I sometimes do is transfer/build a drive on a working system and then try to swap back. The hardware (mobo/cpu) has to be similar

Also do you have any other installation media? A different OS to try to see if anything will run on there?

StoneGiant
08-09-2004, 07:47
Originally posted by berniew
You probably don't have this luxury, but what I sometimes do is transfer/build a drive on a working system and then try to swap back. The hardware (mobo/cpu) has to be similar

Also do you have any other installation media? A different OS to try to see if anything will run on there?

Thanks for the help.

While I could ... and may yet attempt to load the system via another box, my problem in the past has been incompatability of boards and drivers.... I always get the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.

I understand that there's a way to get around this.... Any suggestions?

And another question... as I recall, there's a jumper on the mother board that can be removed to "reset" the bios. I'm wondering if somehow the BIOS got garbled. Do you think this might be the case?

NetNinja
08-09-2004, 08:26
How about flashing the BIOS? Do a BIOS update.
I am sure the motherboards manufacture has BIOS updates you can download and install.

berniew
08-09-2004, 08:48
What Netninja said is easier to try.

For Win2k/XP stuff to work on another box usually the mobo and processor have to be the same or nearly the same (same family)

So a P4 to P3 usually will not work (for example)

Have tried another OS? A different install CD?

StoneGiant
08-09-2004, 09:12
Originally posted by berniew

Have tried... A different install CD?

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

Used another W2K systems disk, and it installed! Must've had a scratch on the other disk.

Thanks!

;+

berniew
08-09-2004, 09:26
Good deal, it always seems to be something blatantly simple....

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

Used another W2K systems disk, and it installed! Must've had a scratch on the other disk.

Thanks!

;+