bye bye windows (pic) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : bye bye windows (pic)

sandboy6184
08-09-2004, 10:02
Ahhh feels good.
http://www.stickynoterecords.com/haroon/screenshot.jpg

chevrofreak
08-09-2004, 13:23
I'm kinda starting to get into linux. Now that I finally have a spare computer to install it on (as if 4 wasnt enough already ;g)

chevrofreak
08-09-2004, 13:24
gadash is an interesting username

sandboy6184
08-09-2004, 15:55
linux sucks, try freebsd! www.freebsd.org

"gadash" is what my friedns son calls me, i duno why.

If you are new, and want to learn, try freebsd(which is what the pic is). If you dont have time to learn but want an alternative, get SuSE Linux or Mandrake Linux.

chevrofreak
08-09-2004, 16:38
I've been fooling around with Knoppix for the last few years.

HerrGlock
08-09-2004, 16:44
Originally posted by sandboy6184
linux sucks,

It does? Strange that I've got a production server set running something that sucks.

It's a bit cute to knock other OSs. I'm not exactly a WIN lover, true. Every system has it's ups and downs.

Want a desktop and don't want to learn computer stuff? WIN
Want a desktop that is stable and don't mind learning something about them? Linux
Want a desktop that is stable and don't mind learning a bit more? BSD

Want a server? Gee, your options are wide open. Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, another BSD, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, TRU-64. Pick your poison.

You want a database that is bulletproof? HP-UX and Oracle.

You would think that I wouldn't use something that sucks. Interesting that it meets all my needs for a desktop. Redhat/Fedora Linux.

DanH

Jack T.
08-09-2004, 16:54
Originally posted by chevrofreak
I'm kinda starting to get into linux. Now that I finally have a spare computer to install it on (as if 4 wasnt enough already ;g)

Ditto that. . .I've got a dedicated RedHat server, but no desktop Linux box. I reload everything once every 8 months or so, so maybe I will put Linux on my main machine rather than reinstall XP. . .

sandboy6184
08-09-2004, 16:57
Originally posted by HerrGlock
It does? Strange that I've got a production server set running something that sucks.

It's a bit cute to knock other OSs. I'm not exactly a WIN lover, true. Every system has it's ups and downs.

Want a desktop and don't want to learn computer stuff? WIN
Want a desktop that is stable and don't mind learning something about them? Linux
Want a desktop that is stable and don't mind learning a bit more? BSD

Want a server? Gee, your options are wide open. Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, another BSD, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, TRU-64. Pick your poison.

You want a database that is bulletproof? HP-UX and Oracle.

You would think that I wouldn't use something that sucks. Interesting that it meets all my needs for a desktop. Redhat/Fedora Linux.

DanH

I was waiting for your reply haha. Let me set my view right, I cant stand most linux users, example. " I run linux im a h4x0r" or "Microsoft must die, they are the enemy, you use windows? hahaha your a lamer" And as for the distros....I didnt mind SuSE, slax and knoppix are great for diagnosing problems.

Tennessee Slim
08-09-2004, 17:05
Youíre both full of beans! The last real OS was CP/M. ^9

HerrGlock
08-09-2004, 17:11
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim
Youíre both full of beans! The last real OS was CP/M. ^9

OS400, Cray are two that I kinda liked ;f

DanH

HerrGlock
08-09-2004, 17:14
I was waiting for your reply haha. Let me set my view right, I cant stand most linux users, example. " I run linux im a h4x0r" or "Microsoft must die, they are the enemy, you use windows? hahaha your a lamer" And as for the distros....I didnt mind SuSE, slax and knoppix are great for diagnosing problems.

Don't worry about it. I was more blowing off the Linux comments as I tend to agree with you that some of the people running it are a bit -er- pretentious. That's okay too. They always end up in conversations out of their depth and realize how much they have to learn. Just as I do.

If it weren't for posers, we wouldn't have as many people even start in computers, then we wouldn't have the broad span of backgrounds brought to the table. They have their place as well. Amusement, if nothing else.

I'm a hacker. I'm actually kinda proud of that. Doesn't mean I'm any good, just that I like to do it.

DanH

Tennessee Slim
08-09-2004, 18:13
I've never yet met the operating system I couldn't learn to hate, given enough time. Some are just faster-acting than others. ;)

HerrGlock
08-09-2004, 18:21
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim
I've never yet met the operating system I couldn't learn to hate, given enough time. Some are just faster-acting than others. ;)

Play with trusted Solaris. The better you are with computers, the less time it takes to hate it.

DII Coe takes that cake, though. OH MY GOD do I hate DII COE.

DanH

Tennessee Slim
08-09-2004, 19:05
Originally posted by HerrGlock
DII Coe takes that cake, though. OH MY GOD do I hate DII COE....
Iíve not had the pleasure. Is it worse than the Burroughs Twenty on the POS computer they wanted the PACs to use when deployed?

My low water mark -- so far -- is Motorola UNIX.

sandboy6184
08-09-2004, 19:09
I need IRIX for this sgi o2 workstation I got here :/

1911lover
08-09-2004, 20:20
i also like knoppix

physicsdevil
08-09-2004, 20:23
Here's what I've been playing with at work lately:

http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/

"... this product is forked from the source code for Red Hat's _Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3_ product under the terms and conditions of it's EULA."

Free RHEL...sort of.

physicsdevil
08-09-2004, 20:25
Oh yeah...and Windows isn't going away until we can play more than Solitaire and Lemonade Stand under Linux...well...you get my point.

sandboy6184
08-10-2004, 10:15
Originally posted by physicsdevil
Oh yeah...and Windows isn't going away until we can play more than Solitaire and Lemonade Stand under Linux...well...you get my point.

Does warcraft 3 one of the most popular games out ring a bell? What about counter strike?;z
http://warcraft3.ingame.de/support/tutorials/wc3linux/wc3linux.jpg

Wicked96SS
08-10-2004, 10:19
Oh yeah?!?! Well I run Linux and FreeBSD Sucks, and so does Suse as well as WindOZE... Hey... Linux has a PENGUIN for God's Sake... that means it's COOL!!!!

Kidding, of course... although I do run my own web server, DNS and email server on a linux box... Red Hat is just as free as BSD, and easier to install for me at least!!

Hey, Unix of any flavor is still Unix... and a good thing!

physicsdevil
08-10-2004, 11:39
Does warcraft 3 one of the most popular games out ring a bell? What about counter strike?;z
http://warcraft3.ingame.de/support/tutorials/wc3linux/wc3linux.jpg

Yeah...two great examples of bleeding-edge Linux gaming. Warcraft 3 is what? 1 1/2 years old? I don't even want to think about how old Counterstrike is. My point was that Linux lags *FAR* behind Windows in available games. It even lags behind Mac for that matter.

David_G17
08-10-2004, 12:46
Originally posted by physicsdevil
Yeah...two great examples of bleeding-edge Linux gaming. Warcraft 3 is what? 1 1/2 years old? I don't even want to think about how old Counterstrike is. My point was that Linux lags *FAR* behind Windows in available games. It even lags behind Mac for that matter.

how about Neverwinter nights? i play it at higher settings in linux than i can in windows.

sandboy6184
08-10-2004, 19:20
Originally posted by Wicked96SS
Oh yeah?!?! Well I run Linux and FreeBSD Sucks, and so does Suse as well as WindOZE... Hey... Linux has a PENGUIN for God's Sake... that means it's COOL!!!!

Kidding, of course... although I do run my own web server, DNS and email server on a linux box... Red Hat is just as free as BSD, and easier to install for me at least!!

Hey, Unix of any flavor is still Unix... and a good thing!

BSD license has more freedom than GPL though ;)

GNU IS NOT UNIX....joking

physicsdevil
08-10-2004, 19:53
Originally posted by David_G17
how about Neverwinter nights? i play it at higher settings in linux than i can in windows.

That's one of my favorite games, but I'm talking about the availability of games. Windows platforms are the de facto standard for PC gaming. NWN was released in June 2002...over 2 years ago. Linux didn't even get it until a year later...and it's still one of the very few mainstream Linux games available. I generally try not to advocate one OS over another unless it is for a specific purpose...*nix just doesn't make the cut as far as gaming goes.

FWIW, on my main laptop I dual boot between WinXP-Pro and Gentoo Linux...plus I use a number of LiveCD Linux distros for various purposes. I do the majority of my gaming on an Xbox.

chevrofreak
08-10-2004, 22:57
What about Unreal Tournament 2004?

physicsdevil
08-10-2004, 23:22
Great game, but again, the point is being missed. We can name what...10 recent mainstream games for Linux? Linux is largely an afterthought in the gaming industry. I can go to Fry's/BestBuy/wherever and choose from racks full of games. If I limit my choice to Linux games, I can find 5 if I'm lucky.

cannoncocker
08-11-2004, 09:15
I tried like crazy to install debian a couple of years ago then mandrake.I never could get them working good.Mandrake i was able to get on the internet but i just didnt understand the terminolgy.I bought books etc then xp came out it works fine with me but all i do is surf the net do my books.Someday maybe if i retire ill try it again.I really like the email in linux the way you can stop spam.Now i use mozilla for my browser these o/s just get better and better in my opinion.Just like a gun pick the one you like learn about it and have fun.
rod

HerrGlock
08-11-2004, 10:44
If it's been a couple years, try it again. I suggest you avoid debian unless you really want to learn the ins and outs of it. That's the geek's Linux and they tend to keep it that way. It's not the most friendly of distros.

Try Mandrake or Fedora. Fedora is fedora.redhat.com, you can download it and install or download the installer and install from the 'net.

All the gaming discussions are very real as Linux doesn't exactly have bleeding edge hardware support but when you don't game (like me) it's a moot point ;j

DanH

BilltheCat
08-11-2004, 16:13
Mandrake is pretty friendly install wise. It still needs tweaking to get sounds to come out of it tho. I havent got it to do that yet. also cannot get it to use a picture viewer or java stuff.

slow too. very slow for my old K6-533mhz AMD (256MB)

-

Win XP Pro zooms. but then it's on a P4 2.8 with a gig of ram. wish I had another one for linux

sandboy6184
08-11-2004, 17:26
Originally posted by BilltheCat

slow too. very slow for my old K6-533mhz AMD (256MB)

its KDE or GNOME that is killing your computer. Put Xfce4 on it. KDE and gnome take up a lot of resources.