ammo for Walther P99 9mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ammo for Walther P99 9mm

jundeleon
08-10-2004, 12:37
For BOGs who have a walther p99, may I know what ammo is your carry load or what feeds reliably in your gun?

My P99 seems very choosy when it comes to ammo. I have tried the Corbon 115 grain +P and the Remington 124 grains both hollowpoints. Using these ammo, the slide wouldn't return to battery after a few rounds. It seems something snags inside that prevents the slide from closing fully after a round is fired.

Funny, armscor ammo works flawlessly.

batangueno
08-10-2004, 21:14
Your P99 seems to have a problem with hollowpoints. I suggest you try out the Speer Gold Dot reloads of Hahn. The profile of the Gold Dots are more similar to fmj so probably it won't snag on the barrel ramp.

mc_oliver
08-10-2004, 23:48
Ano'ng klase'ng FTF yan dre? Nose dive, nose hangs on upper chamber, half way yung bala, almost in battery and requires a slight tap on the slide to close?

Try checking the breech face for burrs, the extractor claw or the chamber mismo. Did this problem occur the first time you got your gun? Brand new? Happens on all mags?

jundeleon
08-11-2004, 01:36
mc-oliver

almost in battery. requires tap on slide to close.

this happened only lately with corbon and remington.

I dont see any burrs sa breech face. Extractor seems ok doesn't look different from its condition before. I have to check on the mags though.

Hermo Gut
08-11-2004, 07:00
Jun ,

My Walther P99 QPQ performs flawlessly on all factory loaded ammos. I personally use Samson 115 Gr.JHP and Winchester's silvertip though during break-in period (around 200 rnds.) I had the 158 grainer low velocity (blue tip) from Samson. I also have had no problems with Armscor's full metal jacket , I get good groupings using this ammo.

Try to polish/clean and round the edge nung metal part doon sa frame na kumukontak sa barrel under lug. Pagproperly broken in kasi yan medyo nabibilog yung kanto kaya smooth yung return nung slide ,walang FTF na sinasabi mo.Subukan mong i-rack & close yung slide dahan-dahan (no mag & ammo ) while holding the rear serration ,you'll feel the contact na sinasabi ko.

Hermo Gut ;)

Evan N. Payawal
08-13-2004, 03:46
I have a P99 9 mm, works flawlessly with Armscor FMJ ammo, never tried hollowpoints. Lot of talk about effective ammo types,stopping power, ideal caliber etc. BUT if there's ANY doubt that I will have an FTF with exotic ammo at the one time my life will depend on it, I would rather have it fire each time I pull the trigger than think about tissue expansion, fragmentation, or what have you.
I keep simple, reliable,(and affordable) Armscor FMJs in my ready magazines, ammo I KNOW cycles my pistol everytime I fire it.

mc_oliver
08-14-2004, 07:35
Originally posted by jundeleon
mc-oliver

almost in battery. requires tap on slide to close.

this happened only lately with corbon and remington.

I dont see any burrs sa breech face. Extractor seems ok doesn't look different from its condition before. I have to check on the mags though.
If it didn't happen before, there may be something wrong with the gun. I suggest you have it thoroughly checked by a smith and pack another for the meantime. ;)

Btw, malinis ba yung loob ng chamber? If you're practicing with lead baka mey mga imbedded lead sa loob causing the hang-ups. Try examining it with your surefire and check for un-eveness sa metal. Usually a good scrub with a bronze brush and some hoppes will remove whatever gunk was deposited.

Good luck.

vega
08-15-2004, 10:58
No flame intended, how does walther P99 stand up as competition pistol?

vega

blueiron
08-15-2004, 18:47
Originally posted by jundeleon
For BOGs who have a walther p99, may I know what ammo is your carry load or what feeds reliably in your gun?

My P99 seems very choosy when it comes to ammo. I have tried the Corbon 115 grain +P and the Remington 124 grains both hollowpoints. Using these ammo, the slide wouldn't return to battery after a few rounds. It seems something snags inside that prevents the slide from closing fully after a round is fired.

Funny, armscor ammo works flawlessly.

I have had mine for about 4 months now. I broke it in by shooting 500 rounds of Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ [RA9SXTP]ammo through it. The gun never malfunctioned and the load is very accurate. I got another 1,000 rounds, burned up 750 more rounds and am satisfied with my P99 and its new defense load.