&^*%%$ Windows! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : &^*%%$ Windows!

gwalchmai
08-10-2004, 14:18
Just WHO came up with the idea that you wouldn't want to see system and hidden files?

I just backed up an entire HD to a USB HD, then formatted and reinstalled Windows. I got ready to copy the data back from the USB drive and the folder wasn't there . After a few anxious seconds I realized that Windows ridiculous nanny-state, protect-the-user-from-herself, hide-anything-that-might-look-like-a-hidden-folder nonsense had hidden my backup folder!

It makes me wish I had pirated GWBASIC back in '78 just to get even with that little nerd.

HerrGlock
08-10-2004, 14:56
Step One:

;f

DanH

David_G17
08-10-2004, 14:56
so, are you saving up for Longhorn?

Glock'n'Off
08-10-2004, 18:39
Download this file (http://www.****/unhide.reg ) . Double click to reveal all 'hidden' and 'superhidden' files :) Just be careful, cause every file is exposed and.......no one can protect you from yourself.

gwalchmai
08-10-2004, 19:14
Thanks, but all you have to do is tell the silly thing to show all files. It just gripes me that it's set in training wheels mode by default, when the same bunch sets security in "violate me mode" by default. There's no consistency in their mindset (other than squeeze me for every nickel). Oh, and yeah, Dan, I've taken Step 1, but I have users with applications. ;Q

SamBuca
08-10-2004, 19:22
You're not thinking of the bigger picture. The majority of Windows users are clueless.

One of the things I like about XP SP2 is that it stops execution of files and tells you about firewall rule changes. We just ignore it or disable it....it could possibly save someone else's system.

Hando
08-10-2004, 19:58
the very first thing i do after installing windows is to reveal hidden and system files

i dont like the hard to open bottles of aspirin either.;f

Glock'n'Off
08-10-2004, 21:32
Originally posted by gwalchmai
Thanks, but all you have to do is tell the silly thing to show all files. It just gripes me that it's set in training wheels mode by default, when the same bunch sets security in "violate me mode" by default. There's no consistency in their mindset (other than squeeze me for every nickel). Oh, and yeah, Dan, I've taken Step 1, but I have users with applications. ;Q

Superhidden files can only be shown with the registry change. There are several extentions that are hidden even when system and hidden files are displayed. There are a ton viruses out that exploits this to execute files.

ronin_asano
08-11-2004, 11:34
Just WHO came up with the idea that you wouldn't want to see system and hidden files?

I just backed up an entire HD to a USB HD, then formatted and reinstalled Windows. I got ready to copy the data back from the USB drive and the folder wasn't there . After a few anxious seconds I realized that Windows ridiculous nanny-state, protect-the-user-from-herself, hide-anything-that-might-look-like-a-hidden-folder nonsense had hidden my backup folder!

It makes me wish I had pirated GWBASIC back in '78 just to get even with that little nerd.

i don't have a huge problem with not displaying system and hidden files, because most computer users have no idea what they are. the gui should provide an option to copy hidden files when the view is set not to display them, similar to that switch on the copy and xcopy commands.

the one i never understood is why would you want to hide file extensions for known file types? that's the most retarded default setting.

gwalchmai
08-11-2004, 11:40
Originally posted by ronin_asano
the one i never understood is why would you want to hide file extensions for known file types? that's the most retarded default setting. On THAT we agree.

David_G17
08-11-2004, 11:41
Oh, and yeah, Dan, I've taken Step 1, but I have users with applications. ;Q

what applications?

gwalchmai
08-11-2004, 11:46
Originally posted by David_G17
what applications? Word, Excel, Powerpoint, AutoCAD, plus dozens of specialized industry apps which only run under Windows, or even DOS, in some cases. If your client hires you to program a relay which uses a proprietary Windows program it doesn't do you much good to explain to him how Linux is a technically superior OS.

HerrGlock
08-11-2004, 13:57
Word, Excel, Powerpoint, AutoCAD, plus dozens of specialized industry apps which only run under Windows, or even DOS, in some cases. If your client hires you to program a relay which uses a proprietary Windows program it doesn't do you much good to explain to him how Linux is a technically superior OS.

Kinda figured it was something like that, that's why I said my piece and left it alone from there ;f

DanH