Service Pack 2 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Service Pack 2

BilltheCat
08-10-2004, 19:15
What do you all think of it? Have you downloaded and installed it yet?

I have for mine, and am upgrading the wifes now. Seems a bit big but after the time to upgrade it seems pretty nice so far. I think the OS is quicker now.

thoughts?

podwich
08-11-2004, 01:31
I figure I'll wait until it shows up on the Windows Update site later on this month.

Anyone know if it adds "features" that I might not want-things like support for DRM technology, automatic update to Windows Media Player 9, various privacy infringements?

berniew
08-11-2004, 07:02
It's still early. I had some problems with VPN and the built in firewall that I spent half of yesterday trying to track down.

I do like the 'smarter' icons for network connections

BilltheCat
08-11-2004, 16:00
I used to be able to crash xp pro with a couple of older programs when used together. I brought em out of the closet and loaded them. Win95 programs. OS didnt crash!

I knows it has to have bugs tho. MS doesnt make anything without bugs! But where are they hidden?

NetNinja
08-11-2004, 19:57
Seems fine so far. I was running the beta and I had to remove it first before installing the real service pack 2.

Caused a lot of hangups after the removal of SV2Beta.

The machine is running fine now.

fatlander
08-14-2004, 11:33
installed, crashed windows because of RDP compatability, uninstalled.

i've heard they have also made some restriction on number of clients for each process, that cant be good for p2p

bluewater
08-14-2004, 11:54
Originally posted by NetNinja
Seems fine so far. I was running the beta and I had to remove it first before installing the real service pack 2.

I was also running the beta and installed Service Pack 2 over it and had absolutely no problems with the install. Running perfectly but then again, so was the beta version.
;?

ronin_asano
08-14-2004, 12:06
i like how the firewall can be disabled by an API. great security.

CranialCrusader
08-14-2004, 12:21
I've got it loaded on two machines of three. One XP pro on an 800 MHz Celleron and the other XP home on a 2.0 GHz celleron laptop. I will soon install it on an Athalon 1700+ system. All three of my machines have 512 of RAM.

Seems to work well, although it is a resource hog. My laptop hammers the hard drive when I can finally view the desktop for a lot longer than it use to. After a while, things settle down and work fine.

The enhanced built in firewall combined with my hardware router firewall should keep me going. ZoneAlarm causes a lot of problems on my end so I don't like to use it.

That stupid security popup in the tray icons WAS annoying. I had to tell it that I would monitor my own anti-virus and would install updates manually. So I'm running in "condition yellow". At least it hasn't bothered me lately... ;Q

CranialCrusader

sgtlmj
08-17-2004, 03:37
Found an problem with ScanSoft's OmniForm. Now when I open a form it tells me that it's locked due to changed permissions.

Won't install on my Compaq Armada M300. Keeps telling me that the file is corrupt. Tried d/l it to the HD, installing from network, installing from CD-R, copying to HD then installing... nada. Thought my HD might be going bad, so I swapped it out (very easy on the M300) and still the same error.

Other than the above two problems, it seems to be fine. I spend most of my time on my Mac though.

ronin_asano
08-17-2004, 09:47
we were issued a directive not to install it. apparently it breaks some of our web apps (none of which i use) but more importantly it breaks our vpn client.

i think this is because our vpn client has it's own firewall bound to the nic in use, and it may be conflicting with the new sp2 firewall. it seems it might be more than just a matter of disabling the sp2 firewall, or i'm sure they would say we could install it, just kill the ms firewall.

Soujurn
08-17-2004, 17:32
http://www.ferrago.com/story/4281

R56Pilot
08-17-2004, 18:18
No problems so far on either my desktop or my laptop, but we're holding off distribution through our SUS servers until we've tested it for a bit more.

:cool:

Alpha752
08-17-2004, 19:10
I have been advised by a guru buddy of mine, who has a computer repair buisness that its crap. Hes had a couple customers install it and then call him panicked because it crashed their PC. Im going to hold off for a later version that addresses all of the issues.

Becides, I have noticed I am using my XP side less and less.....I really like Linux ;f

-=DFOX=-
08-26-2004, 09:46
It killed my battlefield 1942 game and DC mod. Even after deleting it, I still have problems, damn you BIll GATES!!!!!!!!!!!!

stick430
08-26-2004, 12:09

Sulaco
08-26-2004, 19:06
I like a lot of the 'integrated' bug fixes and the new IE pop-up blocker. It seems to work quite well so far. I do not like the added services I found running in the background. I disabled all of them and freed my memory back up. I also do not like (for my personal use anyway) the Security Center so I disabled it as well.

loki1701
08-26-2004, 20:07
If you downlloaded it and haven't installed it yet, how would you remove it???

grantglock
08-26-2004, 20:43
One of our software vendors told us not to install it also; after I had been running it for about a week. It works fine. I don't see any reason not to install it.

ronin_asano
08-26-2004, 21:01
Originally posted by grantglock
One of our software vendors told us not to install it also; after I had been running it for about a week. It works fine. I don't see any reason not to install it.

check these links out. they are reason enough for many people to avoid it for now:

programs (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842242#appliesto)

here's another. there may be duplicates between the lists:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

TED
08-27-2004, 00:34
Some of the replies above seem to say that the offical microsoft approved final release version is NOT yet available. Is this correct? If so, do we know when it will be?

TED

podwich
08-27-2004, 01:17
It's currently available via Windows Update.

ronin_asano
08-27-2004, 08:48
Originally posted by TED
Some of the replies above seem to say that the offical microsoft approved final release version is NOT yet available. Is this correct? If so, do we know when it will be?

TED

no, that's not correct. it has been available by windows update since 25 aug 2004. the full download is also available, or you may request a cd be mailed to you.

streeter69
08-28-2004, 20:44
Microcrap really sucks. But most of us are stuck with it;g . I just got off the phone with a buddy, he laughes at microsoft, they have known about all the problems sinces 98SE.

I will live with it till Linux get more idoit proof:cool:

Alpha752
08-29-2004, 00:06
FYI- I just installed it, because I am trying to destroy my Windows box (switching to Linux). It seemed to work ok, slowed things down a bit, but there was one major issue. It killed my Netgear Wireless network. I tried 2 diffrent recievers, and neither can connect. I uninstalled it and checked with Netgear. They said basically, dont email us about SP2, were working on it.

So if you use Netgear for your wifi, caution!! (the cards I used are a WG311, and a MA111.)