anyone wardrive here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : anyone wardrive here?

sandboy6184
08-11-2004, 12:17
Just got bsd-airtools on my laptop, maybe take a trip around then neigborhood :cool: to see the amount of APs.

chevrofreak
08-11-2004, 12:46
Its not so fun when my card isnt supported by the necessary software. It really sucks having to click refresh constantly.

David_G17
08-11-2004, 14:28
try a neighborhood with a lot of nice hotels.

Halo
08-11-2004, 16:34
It's always amusing to notice just how many people take their APs and routers straight out of the box without changing any settings at all.

darin2
08-11-2004, 18:02
I use netstumbler on my laptop. I got an SD wifi card for my IPAQ this week, and it works great too.

SamBuca
08-11-2004, 18:44
I used to wardrive (back when I had time). I had a D-Link card and I used Kismet.

Very interesting what you find...I kind of miss doing that.

chevrofreak
08-11-2004, 18:50
I know the default passwords for quite a few wireless routers, so I would change the DMZ address and use their BW for a while. ;J

frefoo
08-11-2004, 21:08
I dont wardrive, I tend to warsit :).

It is nice to see all the Access points, set to the defaults, showing up from my home desktop. ^2

WFO2
08-11-2004, 21:17
Yup like Net Stumbler also ...Can import my finds into my GPS mapping software and that way I have icons on custom maps for hotspots . ya never know when you might need access......

physicsdevil
08-11-2004, 22:06
Originally posted by chevrofreak
I know the default passwords for quite a few wireless routers, so I would change the DMZ address and use their BW for a while. ;J

Since we're in the default password spirit:
http://www.phenoelit.de/dpl/dpl.html

chevrofreak
08-12-2004, 08:29
Originally posted by physicsdevil
Since we're in the default password spirit:
http://www.phenoelit.de/dpl/dpl.html

;P That may come in handy, thanks!

HerrGlock
08-12-2004, 08:40
You guys are amatures ;f
http://quickwired.com/kallahar/stories/2003-Dec10/warflying.php
On December 10, 2003 we went out Warflying over Los Angeles and Orange counties. Not5150 was the pilot of the 4-seater beechcraft and Kallahar was the laptop/gps/antenna operator. In a 75 minute flight from Pomona to Los Angeles to Santa Monica to Long Beach to Orange and back to Pomona, 2013 access points were found.

The antenna was a mere Orinoco Omnidirectional Range Extender which was hand held. Unfortunately, the GPS didn't work for the first 20 minutes, and the wireless card crashed (had to reboot) while we were over long beach (took 7 minutes).

SamBuca
08-12-2004, 12:35
Get a Pringles can, attach your Glock receiver to it, get some wire and stick enough into the can to be a multiple of channel 6's wavelength, stick the cap back on it, connect the wire to the external antenna jack on the card, and viola. Directional antenna. Total cost: $1.27 at 7-11 and RadioShack.

lomfs24
08-12-2004, 17:28
Originally posted by SamBuca
Get a Pringles can, attach your Glock receiver to it, Drive down the road pointing that contraption at homes and see what kind of reaction you get. ;f

I do some driving here in Montana. See this thread. (http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=275165) There are a lot of wireless networks here. I just did a drive through my town and came up with 70 some networks within a few blocks. It's pretty fun.

Here's my set up.
Gateway Solo 9400
Slackware 10
Kismet
Gpsdrive
NL2511-CD EXT2 EnGenius 200mw card
5db gain external mag mounted antenna w/ 6' cable

Works like a charm.

I like Kismet because I can group networks together that I don't want to see. For instance, I know what the SSID's look like for a local Wireless ISP so I group all them together so I don't have to look at 30 some networks that I don't need to see.

lomfs24
08-12-2004, 17:30
Its not so fun when my card isnt supported by the necessary software. It really sucks having to click refresh constantly.

What kind of card do you have?

WFO2
08-12-2004, 17:53
I have an Orinoco Sliver . I do not point at anyting I have a -5db magnetic mount antenna . Works good came in a kit and reduces down to the jack on my card .

chevrofreak
08-12-2004, 20:17
Originally posted by lomfs24
What kind of card do you have?

Network Everywhere (linksys) something or other. I bought another card specifically for wardriving tonight, but, as usual, i ****ed up the sockets ;Q

So, unless you guys can tell me how to fix this on 2k pro in the next 15 minutes, i'll be doing yet another install ;P

HerrGlock
08-13-2004, 05:02
So, unless you guys can tell me how to fix this

I can, but you're not going to like it ;f

on 2k pro

There's your problem ;j

DanH

chevrofreak
08-13-2004, 08:32
Dan, I know your solution, and, I already beat you to it ;n

I'm running Red Rat 9 on it right now.

lomfs24
08-13-2004, 18:25
Dan, I know your solution, and, I already beat you to it ;n

I'm running Red Rat 9 on it right now.

Sounds like you have a better setup for wardriving. If you need help working out problems, I am down here in Bozeman and would take phone calls if you wanted.

chevrofreak
08-13-2004, 20:11
Sounds like you have a better setup for wardriving. If you need help working out problems, I am down here in Bozeman and would take phone calls if you wanted.

I appreciate that. :) I may have to take you up on that if I keep screwing stuff up beyond my capabilities to repair ;g

Darkmage
08-16-2004, 07:31
I fired up Netstumbler on the laptop and drove to work one day. Found about 30-40 access points, several of them out of the box.

You see posts every now and then about the proliferation of wireless networks and how popular they are. You just don't believe it until you go looking.

lomfs24
08-17-2004, 01:03
Originally posted by Darkmage
You see posts every now and then about the proliferation of wireless networks and how popular they are. You just don't believe it until you go looking.

I have been running Kismet with a database now for about three days and have about 230 unique networks logged in a database. I don't even live in a densly populated area.

They are everywhere.

sgtlmj
08-17-2004, 03:22
I wardrive from my police car. Just have a cheapo Trendware card in my laptop. Amazing the number of open routers in just my little town. Most have their C drive shared too. Thinking of doing a security survey and putting it in the next newsletter.

If anyone has a Mac, there's iStumbler too. Good program. Works just like Netstumbler, except much prettier because it's on a Mac.

Ever print to someone's shared printer? ;f

lomfs24
08-17-2004, 08:27
Originally posted by sgtlmj
I wardrive from my police car. Just have a cheapo Trendware card in my laptop. Amazing the number of open routers in just my little town. Most have their C drive shared too. Thinking of doing a security survey and putting it in the next newsletter.

If anyone has a Mac, there's iStumbler too. Good program. Works just like Netstumbler, except much prettier because it's on a Mac.

Ever print to someone's shared printer? ;f

I don't mean to tell an officer how to live his life but I think you are treading on thin ice. It is not illegal to locate networks by sniffing them out. But, from what I understand, as soon as you knowingly attach to a network and move data across it, it becomes theft of service, and illegal. The only way you would know that C:\ drives were being shared is if you attached to a network and did some snooping.

Careful what you do. You don't want your uniform to change from blue to orange.

sgtlmj
08-17-2004, 08:46
I don't mean to tell an officer how to live his life but I think you are treading on thin ice. It is not illegal to locate networks by sniffing them out. But, from what I understand, as soon as you knowingly attach to a network and move data across it, it becomes theft of service, and illegal. The only way you would know that C:\ drives were being shared is if you attached to a network and did some snooping.

Careful what you do. You don't want your uniform to change from blue to orange.

Windows automatically picks up shared folders. You'll see this if you keep your Network Neighborhood open. That's how I log into the department's computer, so I keep it open all the time. I have never mapped another's drive or snooped.

Don't worry young Jedi. I have been in this business for a long time and know the laws. I handle computer crimes for our jurisdiction, and am nowhere near the thin ice.

I'll post my newsletter article here when I am finished with it.

lomfs24
08-17-2004, 17:45
No need to get defensive, Oh Great One, it was not but a word of caution. If you are comfortable with what you are doing then so am I.

I look forward to your newsletter.