Welcome To GT's Writer's Workshop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Welcome To GT's Writer's Workshop

Eric
08-12-2004, 13:57
I have wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember. I recently asked myself, "What the hell are you waiting for?" I decided to get off my butt and give it a try. It is an exhilarating, scary road I am starting on and I thought it might be nice to have some company, on my journey. That is where all of you come in.

I want to be able to talk about this passion of mine and seek advice and direction from others, but I don't think I would be very comfortable with the average writer's workshop online. My outlook on life and my political sensibilities (Sensibility, actually), would make the atmosphere on most of the writing sites I have seen, fairly hostile.

So, I am hoping that there are enough people here on GT interested in writing, for us to get our own little community going. Eventually, I wouldlike to set up writing exercises, contests and other activities here. I have also added a sub-forum, where anyone who is brave enough, can share their written work. I sincerely hope this sub-forum will get used.

I am open to any input anyone has, both on writing in general, and on this forum. Welcome aboard. Eric

Cali-Glock
08-12-2004, 15:08
Great Idea! I love it!

Eddie C.
08-12-2004, 15:11
Cool deal Eric.^c

Why do I get a vision of the comic strip Snoopy banging away at his typewriter..............................."It was a dark and stormy night............";f ;f ;f

Laugh if you will, but I actually started a story off like that in High School. It was published in our School paper. Hahahaha!

I will be a frequent visitor here. Thanks...

Eddie C.

Jeeps
08-12-2004, 15:14
Excellent.

Publish or perish.

Eric, you are very fortunate in the fact that GT offers a whole heck of alot more than just firearm enthusiasts. This is a very good thing you're doing.

I would love to haunt here for a while...perhaps even post some of the stuff that I'm working on.

I can say this, for anyone who may be afraid of posting original work on the net, there is a way to copyright your work legally for the price of a stamp.

Just run copies of what you wrote on paper, address an envelope with your name and address and add the writings to the envelope. Go to the post office, put a stamp and mail it back to yourself. Once it arrives, DO NOT OPEN the letter. Stash it in a drawer.

What this does it this: if it ever comes to court that someone may have stolen your work, you would present your envelope to the judge, unopened. The judge will see the postmark date, and work from that.

I have tons of envelopes...and only been in court once for the idea of the website. The judge saw the copywrite on the letter, and I won the case.

I learned that at an American Film Institute seminar on the Writers Guild writers protection act.

MrsKitty
08-12-2004, 15:23
Jeeps,

In creative writing classes at the local community college, one of the insturctors advises his students to mail a copy of the piece back to yourself. He said the postmark established an undisputable date.

Does anybody know how much do you have to change another person's work for you to be able to claim it yourself? 10%? 25%? 50%?

Cali-Glock
08-12-2004, 15:39
Originally posted by misskitty5077
Jeeps,

In creative writing classes at the local community college, one of the insturctors advises his students to mail a copy of the piece back to yourself. He said the postmark established an undisputable date.

Does anybody know how much do you have to change another person's work for you to be able to claim it yourself? 10%? 25%? 50%?

If you use someone else's work you need to at least cite the source. If you borrow (steal) even 10% (the other 90% your own) the 10% is still stolen.

nyredneck
08-12-2004, 16:01
This is a great idea!! I've been repudiate about writing for some time now, but have a lot of good ideas!! Maybe this forum will be enough of a push to get me off my keister!!;f

MrsKitty
08-12-2004, 16:09
Originally posted by Cali-Glock
If you use someone else's work you need to at least cite the source. If you borrow (steal) even 10% (the other 90% your own) the 10% is still stolen.

That's what *I* thought although I have been told otherwise.

Timber Wolf
08-12-2004, 16:10
Thanks for the new forum Eric. I've had the writing bug since about 7th grade wehn I had to write a two page science-fiction story and it turned out to be 11 pgs long.

Must run in the family, as my 15 year old niece has been bitten too.

TW

tous
08-13-2004, 00:14
Great forum Eric ;f

I have had the writing urge since I was seven years old and that was a very long time ago; before dirt was invented.

misskitty5077, may I suggest you refer to the applicable copyright laws and avoid what folk who may or may not know tell you? That said ... ;a ;a ;a ;a

To the best of my knowledge, an intellectual property is copyright when you create it and enjoys the law's protection without resorting to crafty schemes. It's as easy to register a work with the copyright office as it is to send it to yourself in the mail.

Few, if any, unpublished works are ever involved with copyright infringement complaints so until you have a publisher and a firm publication date, I wouldn't worry. Note that when that happens, the publisher will copyright the work in your name.

You can use small portions of another's works with attribution, but it's always best to get explicit permission from the author.

Regarding what is a copyright infringement: the law says it is a violation if the suspect work is 'substantially similar.' Yup, a phrase that means little but employs lawyers. ;P ;P ;P

hillkillr
08-13-2004, 05:01
I don't think I'll have to worry about copywriting for a while, but hopefully I can inspire at least a couple of people (that is if I get the courage to post).

Jeeps
08-13-2004, 05:05
Originally posted by misskitty5077
That's what *I* thought although I have been told otherwise.

Must give credit where crediot is due for sure.

Stealing someone else's stuff without credit, no matter how much or how little, is a huge Bozo No-No.

KennyC
08-13-2004, 05:18
Eric, I am a writer and have been for years. I don't do it for a living right now (I'm a software engineer), but I did do a stint of several years where I earned (what little it was) a living from writing non-fiction science articles and more general non-fiction for kids and adults. I was trying to break in to the Science Fiction Novel market at the same time and have written a couple of novels that were shipped everywhere, but never got picked up.

I have had a few stories published in smaller mags. For the last few years (since I went back to the dark side - corporate computer world) I've focused my writing exclusively on poetry which I enjoy tremendously though there's absolutely no monetary reward, it's very personally rewarding. I just yesterday learned of a poem's acceptance at Mindfire Renewed which I'm looking forward to seeing in print (in this case, on-line). My writing page is at:

http://www.kacweb.com/poems/index.html

you can see my publication credits there as well as some of my poetry and favorite publications/poets, etc.

What kind of writing are you wanting to do? Fiction? what type? Non-Fiction? Poetry? Journalism? Childrens? That's the first thing you need to focus on. Maybe get some good tutorial books (careful, many of them really suck!). I can maybe direct you to certain ones or on-line info given your direction. The next thing is to immerse yourself in that genre and read, read, read, read, write, read read.

The most important thing about writing is revision. That's where it really happens. My technique (and others say the same, but everyone is different) is to write a very fast first draft and then be willing to rip it completely apart and even throw the whole thing away and start over if you have to and keep revising and polishing it until it's what you want.

I'll stop there, but there are many wonderful on-line workshops (bad ones as well) and we can discuss here all kinds of writing stuff.

Best,
KAC

WIG19
08-13-2004, 14:27
Eric, a great inspiration. Kudos for getting past the per-spiration part to throw it out here. (As a collateral thing, it may be insightful to see who "shows up.")

Super idea and, well, glad the scroll-button happened to stop on this one while jumping to another forum. I've no interest in really writing for publication, but enjoy the exercise and always appreciate interesting or elegant use of the written word. Let's see what happens. ^c

p.s. That enjoyment has its pitfalls, however, when one gets known in the workplace as "oh yeah, take your draft to him, the wordsmith, he's always got a red pen in his pocket...." Secretly, I think some of us enjoy that.... ;f

Bilbo Baggins
08-13-2004, 15:26
Question Eric, where do you want the poems/stories posted? I have a few things I have done I would share with the people here, but I am not sure which area you want them in?

Thanks

MrsKitty
08-13-2004, 19:18
Here is where I am coming with giving credit where credit is due:

1. I always cite sources. For example, in the article I submitted recently, I cited every single thing I *READ* while doing research, whether or not I used it. My fear is that I will unconsciously plagurize!

2. I have been thinking about writing a book for a while on a topic I have researched many, many years. At what point does the *knowledge* in my head become my own? How can I ever be sure I am not plagurizing?

3. I asked an instructor about this in grad school. He told me that when I can state something in my own words without looking back at the reference at a later time, that I don't have to worry about citing. I question this.

4. I want to give the original author credit but I don't want to over-cite myself, if that makes sense. When do I quit citing is what I want to know.

MrsKitty
08-13-2004, 19:20
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
Question Eric, where do you want the poems/stories posted? I have a few things I have done I would share with the people here, but I am not sure which area you want them in?

Thanks

Try here: http://glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=122

It's the Reading Room ;)

DJ Niner
08-14-2004, 04:44
I look forward to dropping-by here when I can. I had a half-dozen magazine articles (mostly regional, one national) published about ten years ago, then I just quit writing/submitting stuff; to this day, I don't really know why.

Now, time (lack of it) is my biggest problem. I don't have nearly enough of time for the things ALREADY on my plate. Perhaps by lurking/participating here, I will be able to find the time AND motivation to write again.

whiskerz
08-16-2004, 11:37
Thanks for putting this here. I will enjoy it.

9millimeterman
08-22-2004, 17:22
Miss Kitty5077
I guess I'm one of your aspiring writer types and I'm looking for some constructive critque on a short story or two. Is there a size limit for this forum? The file I have is about 6 pages and is created in Word pad. It's not your typical post collapse america scene.

9millimeterman.

MrsKitty
08-22-2004, 17:37
Originally posted by 9millimeterman
Miss Kitty5077
I guess I'm one of your aspiring writer types and I'm looking for some constructive critque on a short story or two. Is there a size limit for this forum? The file I have is about 6 pages and is created in Word pad. It's not your typical post collapse america scene.

9millimeterman.

Hi!

I am not the mod of this forum but I would say that is well within the size limits. If I were posting it, I would cut & paste it into a new message instead of attaching it--members on dialup take longer to download files ;)

9millimeterman
08-22-2004, 20:36
Miss Kitty5077

9millimeterman.

9millimeterman
08-22-2004, 22:32
Thanks Misskitty, after I deal with some digital glitches on this end I hope to post soon.

raindog
08-25-2004, 11:25
Hey, I just saw this and stopped in.

I'm a professional writer. I make my living at it.

I hope to contribute to this forum.

ThreadKiller
08-25-2004, 13:43
OK, when do we start? And just who is John Galt? :)

Tim

Eins36
09-01-2004, 01:37
Great idea, thanks for giving us a forum.

Different than most here, I just like to express myself in writing. People who read my stuff tell me I should write (duh, didn't I just do that?). Anyway, English is my second language after German, and I enjoy using it.

Lobotomy Boy
09-08-2004, 19:57
Regarding fair use of copyrighted material, you can generally quote up to 10 percent of a work provided you cite the source and that the cited material doesn't comprise more than 10 percent of your work. This is a different action then plagiarizing work, and this only applies to the written word. You cannot use graphics, photos, or other illustrations without written consent. The same is true of lines of poetry and of song lyrics.

You'd be amazed at how often people plagiarize. I published one book where a guy lifted an entire magazine article without crediting the original author. The original author of the article turned out to be another of the authors I published. He showed me the original article and confronted the plagiarizer, who responded, "The article was so good I didn't think I could improve on it by changing it." Fortunately for the plagiarizer the original author understood that he was dealing with a dottering old fool and didn't sue him.

Recently I had another author who stole a copyrighted chart from a website. He admitted as much to me and to the author of the chart. I offered to pay the person who created the chart about 8 times what we would have paid if we had just gotten permission, and planned to deduct the amount from the plagiarizer's future royalties. The idiot plagiarizer had a fit about this. He has some delusional idea that because the creator of the chart didn't officially register the copyright he doesn't have a legal copyright. This should be a good lesson to everyone--if you write something and post it on the Internet with a copyright and your name and a date, it is copyrighted. People may try to plagiarize it, but if you take them to court, they will lose. As will my author the plagiarizer. He has no legal rights to stop us from settling the matter, but in the process he may just make the person who created the chart so mad he'll sue the plagiarizer into the stone age.

The short, easy rule here is feel free to quote short passages of text, but cite the source, and if you want to use poetry, lyrics, or illustrations, don't even consider it without the copyright holder's permission.