Bug splat! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bug splat!

TxMan
08-14-2004, 22:15
This is one of the many reasons I wear a full faceshield helmet. I was driving home from work on Friday riding my '00 ST1100, and all of sudden SPLAT!....a giant bug hits my faceshield on my helmet. I was going about 50 mph and the bug exploded on my faceshield! It hit so hard that the bug sounded as if it was made of metal.

I always wear a helmet and I was even more grateful that I wear a full faceshield. If that would have hit my in the face it would have caused some serious pain!

Anyone else been smacked in the face by a bug? or been saved by a faceshield/goggles?

D25
08-14-2004, 22:46
I always wear a full-face helmet, but still, I have a humungous welt on my neck from a bug I hit today. I don't understand how the guys in glasses or goggles do it.

Ralphumor
08-15-2004, 19:04
I got hit in the head with a bird the other day...It glanced and was not a direct hit but if I didnt have a helment on it would have hurt like the dickens......I also got hit in the arm with a cigeratte thrown from a truck...That hurt...

nhglocker
08-18-2004, 17:32
A couple of springs ago I was riding with my full face helmet on but due to the warm weather I had the face shield up. Wouldn't you know it I nailed some kind of bug which hit the corner of my glasses. Looking down I could see it's eggs smeared across my glasses and rode all the way home suppressing the gag reflex.

When I first started riding I didn't wear a helmet and my old bike had no windsheild. One warm summer night I took the road by the river to get home through some light fog and thick patches of bugs. When I stood in front of the mirror I must have had a thousand of those little critters stuck to my face still alive and flapping their wings. I took a loong shower that night.

;0

BTW sweet looking Honda, same kind of ride as my connie.

WERA49
08-19-2004, 16:51
Anyone else been smacked in the face by a bug? or been saved by a faceshield/goggles?
When I ride, I wear a fullface helmet. (the one in the avatar) I've hit many bugs with a fullface helmet. Everytime I do, I'm thankful to have one on.

I, too, don't understand the lidless guys with goggles.......;Q

I've ruined helmets in crashes. I won't ride without one.

Last fall, I spooked a wild turkey riding through Deal's Gap. It decided to fly across the road to get away from me. It was helmet high. I think that was the hardest that I've ever braked on a bike. :)

TxMan
08-20-2004, 21:00
Another story is when I was a lot younger (16 or so) I was riding my dirt bike with a open face helmet beside a huge drainage ditch. The ditch was about 25 feet deep, with a slope so a dirtbike could climb up and down the walls of it. I was going about 15-20 mph next to the drainage ditch when a bumble-bee gets inside my helmet by my ear! I jammed on the brakes and almost ended up in the ditch! I threw off my helmet, but it was too late...the bee had stung the inside of my ear! Ouch! that hurt!!

I can still remember that day real good, even though most of my teenage years are still a mystery to me! ;Y

potatoho
08-22-2004, 11:28
Bees! Yeah that happened to me, I was cruising 45mph and something hit me in the chest. About a mile later I see a bee
crawling around right in front of my eyeball.

Open the pod bay doors Hal!

http://www.customlids.co.uk/helmets/hjc/sy-max/symax-bluevisor.jpg

45acp4me
08-25-2004, 07:00
I've hit a few big bugs with the helmet, the worst was clipping a bird with my shoulder.

Here is a nice dragon fly that met it's demise from my headlight. :)

Cheers!
Glen