Thoughts on H D Sportster 883 cc. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on H D Sportster 883 cc.

mesteve2
08-15-2004, 01:06
RE: Subject.

I can get the subject for $4,000.00 it is a 2002.

My wt. is 175 lbs. and wive is about 150.

Will this be strong enough for us?

It will come with a solo seat.

And a full face HD helmet.

Comments please.

Steve

AWMP
08-15-2004, 01:17
I have had several Harleys and the sportys are always fun. As for the 883, everyone I have known that got one, did one of two things, either sold it later for a 1200 or had the engine bored out to get it more hp. Good price on the bike though.

mesteve2
08-15-2004, 03:52
I heard the same thing almost from the lady next door.

She is just a back seater but must give her credit for being a good

listener and repeater.

Old blonde, blue eyed, heavy-set, silly, has very low self image

of her self and bad parent.

My proplem is this is the most I can spend at this time.

To get all the money together to pay for it I will have to pay:

Master Card

American Express

Discover Card

on the inter-net and schedule each payment at the last possible day

and hour.

Get my pay check early on Sunday the 29 of August 2004.

And hope I have a big class of Security Guards on the 26 thru the 29

of August.

I may have to do the engine work in 90 days.

How big of job and how much do parts cost?

I have one old,old Harley Davidson Man that I think can do the labor.

And a working Jap bike machanic that may also be able to do the labor

he may charge a little money.

thanks once again.

Steve

Tennessee Slim
08-15-2004, 08:27
You can get faster, more powerful, more comfortable, more reliable rice rockets for less money. And you won’t get any respect from owners of ‘real’ Harleys (their term, not mine) on an 883.

PatinAz
08-15-2004, 18:45
For two up riding, I would definetly recommend the 1200 or a Big Twin. Have you test ridden it with the wife? Do you know what the vibrations are gonna be like for you? Or more importantly for her...She might get turned off by the bone rattling-solid mounted V-Twin. If you're really set on a Sportster and really want to ride, I would suggest getting and '04 model or better. The new rubber mounted V-Twin has everyone on the HD forums impressed. Even the ones who swore against them when they were first announced. If you do get that '02, don't skimp on getting a nice dual saddle for it. The passenger seat on my Wide Glide is only 8 inches wide, and the girlfriend wants to stop about every hour. Just my $.02.

ClickClickBoom
08-16-2004, 06:49
An 883 will move two people, might even go 65 with two people, but aside from working that 45 horse engine to death, another consideration is framesize. The bike is small, and two people might find it cramped.

WERA49
08-16-2004, 17:31
Mesteve2, you'll be disappointed with it in a short time. It would be terrible to have a bike that you didn't like and couldn't afford to have. I don't recommend buying it.

Maybe you should until you're in a better situation.

As Slim said, there are better alternatives. Try a SV650 (for a V-Twin) or an Kawasaki EX500 or a Suzuki GS500. All three of those bikes are better/faster than a 883.

It sucks to let a good deal go. I've got a chance to buy a bike that I'd love to have. Unfortunately, this is not a good time to buy it.

m1911a1
08-16-2004, 18:20
the insureance alone is a killer on hardly's...
the maintinance-repair costs are horrendous,the reliability sucks , the vibration at road speeds is annoying at best the noise is nervewracking...
don't buy any hardly other than the new V-rod...
i have over 30 years experiance with HD , little or none of it good...

ClickClickBoom
08-19-2004, 10:31
Originally posted by WERA49

As Slim said, there are better alternatives. Try a SV650 (for a V-Twin) or an Kawasaki EX500 or a Suzuki GS500. All three of those bikes are better/faster than a 883.

Those bikes would not be any more comfortable for two-up touring, if not worse.

RoyG
08-19-2004, 11:16
Originally posted by m1911a1
the maintinance-repair costs are horrendous,the reliability sucks , the vibration at road speeds is annoying at best the noise is nervewracking...

Insurance is a killer??? I pay $145 a year...

Maintenance/repair cost??? The Sportster is probally the easiest bike to wrench on there is....

Reliability??? I have over 45,000 on a '92 883 and 15,000 on a '02 1200. Only thing major I've replaced is a head gasket on the 883 everything else has been fluid changes and tires... Been to Strugis on the 1200 (and yes I rode it there). Up and down the east coast several times...

Vibration??? IT'S A MOTORCYCLE!!!

Noise will only bother people behind you... And most people with metric bikes are always trying to make them sound like Harleys.

Take a look over on sportster.org (http://www.sportster.org) or at Moshe K. Levy's Sportster Information Center (http://www.mklsportster.com)

WERA49
08-19-2004, 11:30
Those bikes would not be any more comfortable for two-up touring, if not worse.
Those three bikes are at least as comfortable as a Sportster. I rode a Sportster and couldn't stand it. Make sure to tell everyone that the air cleaner pushes your right leg out. Riding a Sportster is like riding a horse. The speed and vibration are about the same. I know, I know, a Sportster is narrow. They still suck.

The EX, GS and SV have no such problems.

For two-up touring know this: The Harley footpegs are attached to the swingarm. The passengers legs go up and down with the pavement bumps/potholes.

The EX, GS and SV have no such problems.

The three bikes that I mentioned have passenger pegs attached to the frame.

I'm not anti-Harley. I'd love to have a V-Rod. :)

blueiron
08-20-2004, 00:58
Originally posted by m1911a1

Here we go again...

If you want to know for certain, go to a dealer and rent an 883. I would recommend a 1200, but its your money. I used to ride from San Diego to S.W. Wyoming on my Sporty and my biggest concern was limited fuel range.

RKC2000
08-25-2004, 18:32
Any Sportster is good solo. I've had a 1200 and rode 2-up for a year. You'll appreciate a larger-framed/engine type of bike.

Depends on how far you're going to be riding as well. Rent or test drive before you buy.

And for vibration??? The gals love it...know what I mean?

45acp4me
08-26-2004, 06:22
The 883 is a weak suck for two people, I honestly don't get how anybody can spend a dime on that underpowered, overpriced hunk of iron. I'd suggest looking for a jap cruiser with a 750+ CC motor. It will make more power, vibrate less and be more comfortable for two as well.

Regards,
Glen

hd67xlch
08-26-2004, 07:05
Ive been riding the same two sportsters for over 25 years now, a 67, and a 76. Both are completley S&S stroked motors, one being 82 inches, the other 86 inches. Ive got to tell ya the truth, sportsters just arent made for two up riding.

I weigh 160, and my wife 130, and its not a matter of power, its a matter of the way the bike sits. They are okay for around town quick rides, but if you want to go more than a 100 miles chances are your not going to like it.

TreeTrooper
08-30-2004, 10:58
My wife didn't like my 1200 Sportster (I did) or my Road King. She loves the GL 1500, and doesn't mind the VFR much. Sometimes I miss the old 1200 Sporty, but I'll hold off on Harley until the put V-Rod power in some of their other bikes.

Lt.Kubosh
09-13-2004, 16:34
Friend had the brand new 883 Sportster and few days later he decided to upgrade the engine to the 1200ccm... Although is its almost 900ccm engine (what is let's say enough) it is weak.
He sold it one year later. He became upsed because of minor oil leaks and several minor problems.
I have the VN750 from Kawa and I'm happy. Any other chopper than HD is not the classic chopper, but I have the bike for two wheel fun not to get respect from other peaole. For respect I have the Glock (joke :-D )

jpa
09-19-2004, 08:34
If you only have around $4k to spend, you're not going to be satisfied with what you can get at a HD dealer or from a HD owner if you want to ride 2up. I think the 883 is too small for passengers IMHO and with harleys I think you pay a lot of money for a brand name, kinda like paying $150 for Nike when $50 New Balance are just fine. Ride the 883 around a bit. Then go ride a Honda Shadow, a Yamaha Vstar, a Kawasaki Vulcan, a Suzuki Boulevard or an older model Intruder (blvds are 05's). You'll probably find a whole lot more in a new jap bike than that used Harley for less or same $$.

As for insurance, it'll be comparable across brands, but sport bikes I hear are higher due to all the plastic farings being kinda $$. Insurance tends to go down after your first year with the bike, too.

As for maintenance, change the oil/plugs, watch your fluids, and the jap bike will be basically maintenance free. A Sportster may be one of the easiest bikes to "wrench on" but I'd rather not have to in the first place. Not to say I don't know how to fix my bike if I have to, but I just haven't had to yet (knocks on wood).

Dandapani
09-19-2004, 09:08
Originally posted by blueiron
my biggest concern was limited fuel range.

Amen! I had to fill up every 90 miles... Everytime my friends wanted to go riding, I would tell them that I gotta stop for gas first. I hated it.