Small street bike? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Small street bike?

pesticidal
08-16-2004, 11:41
My soon to be 15 year old son is wanting a small motorcycle. He doesn't want a dirt bike style or a scooter. He wants one that looks "like a real motorcycle". He looked at a Pagsta, but I think he'd outgrow it shortly. It's only 50cc.
Stopping at the local bike shops, I only saw a street style bike starting at 250cc, which I think is too much for him. Is there anything in a 125-175cc available? I Googled, but couldn't find the right search terms.

WERA49
08-16-2004, 17:34
Honda makes a 250 Rebel. Don't worry about it being fast, it is one of the slowest bikes ever made. There is also a 500cc bigger brother. They look like cruisers. I knew a guy that had the 250cc version.
50cc bikes can be fun but they are very small. Most people have a difficult time seeing a motorcyclist on a full size bike, let alone a very small bike.

This is me two days ago having fun on my 50cc bike. I won two races. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/AR-50_Fan/Motorcycles/2004_0814Image0051A.jpg

rustychev
08-17-2004, 21:45
How about a honda nighthawk I have a 750 but I know they make a 250cc nighthawk its a great bike.

Rusty

pesticidal
08-18-2004, 05:44
We looked at the 250 Rebel. Now he says he wants an auto shift, like on the Pagsta. ;Q Kids now days....

MikeG22
08-19-2004, 17:01
Here is a 125cc Kawasaki Eliminator
http://kawasaki.com/html/motorcycles/streetbikes/eliminator125/main.asp
http://kawasaki.com/flash/uploadFiles/k_bn125a_silver_800.jpg
http://kawasaki.com/flash/uploadFiles/k_bn125a_01_800.jpg

This will give a bit more power than those little Pagsta's which is a good thing incase you ever need to get out of the way or go over 45mph.

Or if he wants the sportbike look the Ninja 250r is a good bike to learn on.
http://kawasaki.com/html/motorcycles/ninja/250r/main.asp
http://kawasaki.com/flash/uploadFiles/k_ninja250f_silver_800.jpg

Oh yea, tell him with a bike with a small motor you definitly want to shift it yourself to hold the revs where you need them to really ride the thing.

Bandalero
08-20-2004, 08:36
Honda Rebel 250
Yamaha Virago 250

These are the bikes they use in the MSF courses. I have a 535 Virago (never ridden before) and it wasn't noticeably different handling-wise than the Rebels. It is about 400 lbs.

I think Kawasaki makes the 125 Eliminator also. Let him take the MSF course and decide what he likes/handles best.

pesticidal
08-20-2004, 09:12
I like the looks of the Eliminator. I looked up a couple reviews on it, and it sounds like a pretty nice little starter bike.

biker
09-08-2004, 06:31
The Eliminator is a good bke as long as your son doesn't have long legs. They look bigger than they are!! The Nighthawk 250 is a decent bike to start out on. We use both as trainer bikes. I started on an 80 Honda CM400. But I was 19. Look for a nice looking used Honda twinstar 250. The Rebels are great bike to start out on. They have been making them since like 84! There are many bikes to chose from just keep it small to start with and everyone with keep all thier hair while he learns to ride. Hope I helped.

Kevin
MSF RiderCoach

quinch
09-24-2004, 00:02
hope this isn't too late, but you can pick up dirt cheap Rebel 250s in the classifieds.
People buy them to learn on, then firesale 'em.

Nestor
09-25-2004, 06:09
Great thread! If we will arrive in US we can buy only one car (as much affordable as it's possible like Hyundai Accent) and it will be for my wife - but also for family trip, shopping etc. For me I want some inexpensive bike like Honda Rebel 250 or Yamaha Virago. Thank you for your suggestions - I'm as green as it's possible. It was very helpful for me. Since we will make a move to the Northern Arizona this bike will be in service nearly all year around (I need it for the ride to the work or to the range ;)). Thank you. Adam

ihatethesesns
09-28-2004, 01:41
I want one the RSV 450 (http://www.aprilialand.com/nuke/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=263) if and when it comes out and makes it to the us. Its the best of both size and speed;f
There is also a the RS50 or RS125 Both here (http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/new_bikes.shtml)

BrianM_G21
09-28-2004, 15:39
Originally posted by Nestor
Great thread! If we will arrive in US we can buy only one car (as much affordable as it's possible like Hyundai Accent) and it will be for my wife - but also for family trip, shopping etc. For me I want some inexpensive bike like Honda Rebel 250 or Yamaha Virago. Thank you for your suggestions - I'm as green as it's possible.

Adam, When are you going to arrive? I have one of the bikes mentioned (a 2000 Kawasaki EX250) that was my wifes daily commuter in Atlanta, and my play toy in the N. GA mountains.. but with 100+ miles of straight roads and lots of desert out here in Kayenta, AZ, we're switching to dirt or dual purpose bikes. I'm in the process of doing a full tune-up on the bike and getting ready to sell. I could easily bring it to Flagstaff, but only if you're interested.. :)

Nestor
09-29-2004, 00:45
Originally posted by BrianM_G21
Adam, When are you going to arrive? I have one of the bikes mentioned (a 2000 Kawasaki EX250) that was my wifes daily commuter in Atlanta, and my play toy in the N. GA mountains.. but with 100+ miles of straight roads and lots of desert out here in Kayenta, AZ, we're switching to dirt or dual purpose bikes. I'm in the process of doing a full tune-up on the bike and getting ready to sell. I could easily bring it to Flagstaff, but only if you're interested.. :)

Thanks Brian, I wish I can tell you. Thanks to Sidearmor I'm in the process of applying for the green card. The whole process can take up to 2-3 years, so I belive it's not an option, but thank you very much for this proposition. When we will arrive you have a cold one ;c on me. Thank you again. Adam

BrianM_G21
09-29-2004, 07:37
Thanks Brian, I wish I can tell you. Thanks to Sidearmor I'm in the process of applying for the green card. The whole process can take up to 2-3 years, so I belive it's not an option, but thank you very much for this proposition. When we will arrive you have a cold one ;c on me. Thank you again. Adam

No worries.. course we can have a ;c on me too, I brew my own. ;f It's the only way to get anything decent to drink in this land of rather swill, watered down beers. Flag has an Excelent Homebrew store too (better than most all others I've seen). :) So yet another hobby option when you get here and get set-up.

Bandalero
09-29-2004, 08:08
For me I want some inexpensive bike like Honda Rebel 250 or Yamaha Virago. Thank you for your suggestions - I'm as green as it's possible. It was very helpful for me. Since we will make a move to the Northern Arizona this bike will be in service nearly all year around (I need it for the ride to the work or to the range ;)). Thank you. Adam

I started riding about six months ago and got a Yamaha Virago 535. We used the 250 Rebels in the MSF riding course and the Virago is very comparable. It has a low seat height, about 430 lbs, and is very nimble and agile. It also has plenty of power for the highway if that's what you want.

They don't make anything but 250 Viragos any more, but if you search around you can find the 535 and 700s.

ExiledViking
09-29-2004, 10:01
My vote would be for the Kawasaki EX250.

They hold their value and are a lot of fun.

Nestor
09-29-2004, 14:08
Originally posted by Bandalero
I started riding about six months ago and got a Yamaha Virago 535. We used the 250 Rebels in the MSF riding course and the Virago is very comparable. It has a low seat height, about 430 lbs, and is very nimble and agile. It also has plenty of power for the highway if that's what you want.

They don't make anything but 250 Viragos any more, but if you search around you can find the 535 and 700s.

Thanks for the information. Yes, street and the highway riding is all I need.