Cost of OCC Theme bikes? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cost of OCC Theme bikes?

Jack Straight
08-16-2004, 16:52
I just watched one of the shows on Discovery Channel's American Chopper, where they built a theme bike.

What do they do with it afterwards? Sell it? On their website they have a custom non-themed bike going for over $60K.

Any ideas?

EUPHER49
08-17-2004, 00:12
...they said that their bikes went from $30k to $100K. I think I remember them saying that the "Statue of Liberty" bike was around
$150K. Not sure though...The theme bikes are "salty"

chevrofreak
08-17-2004, 02:21
I think their cheapest bike is the T-Rex at $39k

I remember them saying their high end theme bikes are $150k

Rexzilla
08-19-2004, 15:06
I have never been really impressed with OCB. There are better builders out there. My issue with them is quality control. The Jay Leno bike they did died on the road with Jay. After he hauled it to a nearbye shop they found that the starter was on the same circuit as the tailight. The tail lamp went out and Jay wound up pushing it up the blvd. I would have been pissed. Also, the designs they come up with are not necessarily safe. As an insurance broker, I think their bikes are nightmares. They are great at giving you a look, but I would not want to ride those any distance. True, most of the bikes done there are for advertising purposes and exposure. I just think they fail on the mechanicals. They seem to be doing crate motors but they don't seem to have a detailed checkout procedure. It just scares me. I have seen other builders take great attention on how things go together and work. I just don't think these guys have their act totally together.

blueiron
08-20-2004, 12:59
They are too expensive at any price!

markos
08-21-2004, 11:27
OCC themebikes are not motorcycles, they are "modern" art and like 99% of modern art, are overpriced pieces of junk that are purchased by people with more money than brains who allow media to dictate to them what is cool or desirable.
The builders of these bikes demonstrate none of the skill or deep passion that defines great art or engineering; but they excell in marketing.
The value of OCC bikes is determined not by the quality of the machine, but a subjective value based on how much airtime they recieve, how many times a week they are on television.
The more people are told how great the bikes are,the more they are worth. It's the same with any modern artist; Pollack (throws paint on canvas), Picasso(turns out twenty or thirty simple drawings a day) and Warhol(puts a can of soup on the wall and is called an artistic genius)are piss poor artists, but they are marketing genius's. Their work has great monetary value, but put their work beside any of the the great masters like Waterhouse, Gerome or Alma-Tadema and you see them for the waste of canvas they truly are.
The individual who sees no value in these works is considered intellectually challenged or too uneducated to "appreciate" the work of such skilled marketeers; "they just don't get it" (sound familiar?).
Take a trailer full of OCC bikes and display them next to well thought out motorcycles that outperform them on every level for a fraction of the price and it's obvious that the emperor not only has no clothes but never will.

Rexzilla
08-21-2004, 16:15
I agree Marcos, I am just disgusted with the mechanics of what they put out. There are other builders who fine tune their custom bikes in every detail. I just want people to recognize OCB for what it is...marketing and self promotion. I have seen some really great bikes that are both works of art and entirely functional. Anybody that pays over 30k for a custom bike is buying into their own ego's. I know I would not want to insure an OCB bike for everday riding.

Fast Shadow
08-22-2004, 13:47
Where did you hear about the Leno bike breaking down? I'd be interested to hear more. Did OCC ever respond regarding what happened to Jay? Did Jay comment on it?

Rexzilla
08-22-2004, 15:30
Yes...Jay Leno talked about it when they unveiled the bike on his show. The bike was a "copy" of the bike that Lawrence of Arabia rode and was killed on. The wiring was defective on the bike and Jay told the story how he was stranded on it's maiden ride. The OCB crew said they took care of the problem joking "...we fired the guy who wired it...it was a shame too with him just getting a new baby and house." The bike was beautiful to look at. But as I have stated they don't fine tune those bikes before leaving the shop. A checkout procedure would have turned up the defect. I can't help but think what would have happened if the brakes went out on the thing with Jay aboard.

Fast Shadow
08-23-2004, 20:57
I doubt they would fire Vinnie over that. If they fired him then nothing would ever get built. :P And didn't they say the unveiling was the first time he saw the bike? I thought that sounded weird. The whole American Chopper show seems really staged. I think the early shows were real but now it comes across like everything's scripted.

Rexzilla
08-23-2004, 22:21
It was not the first time he had seen the bike...he had rode it earlier. Of course they did not fire Vinny, they were joking. I agree much of what they do is staged, it is a show.

lonewolf28152
08-24-2004, 11:31
Give me a Jesse James bike anyday.

fnfalman
08-24-2004, 12:13
Give me a decent factory bike any time. Even the Jesse James bikes aren't all that hard. On the Discovery Channel that shows Jesse James making a custom bike and then rode it (along with his crew) to Sturgis. That thing died a few times during the trip due to parts falling off.

I ain't impressed.

pagluy
08-24-2004, 13:06
Originally posted by fnfalman
Give me a decent factory bike any time. Even the Jesse James bikes aren't all that hard. On the Discovery Channel that shows Jesse James making a custom bike and then rode it (along with his crew) to Sturgis. That thing died a few times during the trip due to parts falling off.

I ain't impressed.

So then what you are saying is you don't like one of a kind anything because there's no QC and extensive testing behind it like there is on a mass-produced product. Ok, different strokes etc.

Ralphumor
08-26-2004, 01:38
You know, I LOVE MOTORCYCLES!! I dont think I will EVER have enough money to buy one of those Jesses James or OCC Bikes. I think the OCC show is about to run its course. Look at the cars that everyone is driving now. They are making BUCKS!! And the arguments and bicering..Come ON Id like to see them NOT MAKE a dead line!

BrianM_G21
08-26-2004, 10:04
I'd like them to shut the F#@$ up for once and just assemble the parts (hrm, part A attaches to frame as junction 1 ~ jeez, this is like painting by number). Outside of the ideas, any monkey could do what they do... the lowest paid people in the MC industry are the assemblers (yes I'm a professional mechanic who's been in the industry for about 5 years).

fnfalman
08-26-2004, 11:12
So then what you are saying is you don't like one of a kind anything because there's no QC and extensive testing behind it like there is on a mass-produced product. Ok, different strokes etc
--------------------------------------------

There's a difference between an artisan creating a piece of functional artwork and a backyard mechanic flopping something together that easily soon falls apart. Definitely different strokes for different folks.

lonewolf28152
08-27-2004, 11:33
Originally posted by BrianM_G21
I'd like them to shut the F#@$ up for once and just assemble the parts (hrm, part A attaches to frame as junction 1 ~ jeez, this is like painting by number). Outside of the ideas, any monkey could do what they do... the lowest paid people in the MC industry are the assemblers (yes I'm a professional mechanic who's been in the industry for about 5 years).

Show when is your show starting? ;5 ^8