Joining up, artillery or aviation? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Joining up, artillery or aviation?

Road Weazel
08-16-2004, 18:32
If everything goes well I'll join the AZ Army Nat'l guard here real soon. My MOS is in mechanical support. If given the choice which would you choose, aviation (helos) or field artillery? I'm leaning toward the Helos myself.
Thanx.
Colin

ICC(SS)
08-16-2004, 18:47
There is not much call for field artillery in the Civilian world so my recommendation is Aircraft. It is all about what you can do with the training when you move on.

Road Weazel
08-16-2004, 19:27
I'm prior service and my MOS is Generator Repair, not a lot of call for that either way. This isn't so much of a way to get training for a later career. It's a way of serving and setting something right that was left undone for the last 17 years.
I'm thinking Helos also as I may want to switch to Air Nat'l Guard after my hitch is up.
Plus, Apaches are cool ;z
Thanx.
Colin

Tennessee Slim
08-16-2004, 20:13
If you like sleeping in the mud, go arty. Otherwise, go aviation.

Any decent aviation commander knows that you can always find a hard stand for maintenance. And a well-rested crew member is less likely to make a fatal error. Most see no need to make you deploy to the field just so you can prove to the crunchies that you’re macho, too.

I’ve seen Chinook units deploy to the field and bring generators, refrigerators, microwave ovens, TVs and VCRs. I’ve been in wh*re houses that weren’t as lavishly outfitted as their GP mediums.

MarkP
08-16-2004, 20:21
go aviation .

Once upon a time -After a 5 day ftx: a squad of scouts were waiting at a secondary airfield for a ride back out for another 5 days in the wet mud.

So we're sitting outside heating up some ramen and the birds land on the tarmac .Crew walks past us and we could smell their freakin' deodorant - those boys were so ....clean.

They looked at us and thanked the Lord they weren't Infantry ...

;f

feetpiece
08-16-2004, 22:52
Go aviation! I did my 1st three years as a gun bunny and although I miss certain aspects of it, there really is no call for it on the outside. I changed over to 25R back in 99 and I have a much better outlook after I get out than I would have in FA.

I'm the skinny dude on the far left

http://tinypic.com/2jiur

KNEESINTHEBREEZ
08-17-2004, 01:23
AVIATION! By the way feetpiece, what is that in your photo, a 105?

Nestor
08-17-2004, 13:54
Originally posted by MarkP

They looked at us and thanked the Lord they weren't Infantry ...

;f

Infantry rules all the way! ;f

RussP
08-17-2004, 14:26
I never regret the day Sgt Abeta came to me, pointed to the Air Crew wqings on his chest and asked, "You want some of these?", and I said, Yes, Sarge, I do."

As a photographer I had a pretty good life, but those wings got me better food, air conditioning, and a lot more perks than the normal guys.

Course I got shot at a whole lot more than they did;f ;f

Aviation...

Tennessee Slim
08-17-2004, 14:29
Originally posted by Nestor
[whispering] Pssssssstttt! ....Nestor ...that wasn't one of the choices! ;i

CarlosDJackal
08-17-2004, 16:16
Aviation. I started off as an 11C1P (Indirect-Fire Infantryman) myself. When I ETS'd out of the Active Army, I went to an Attack Helicopter Battalion. Huge difference!!

You are generally better taken care off in Aviation specially when deployed. You also don't have to walk as much since they prefer to fly or drive.

Good luck!!

Road Weazel
08-17-2004, 17:53
I'm gonna leave work tommorow and go chat with them. I've been working with them over the phone for a while now but this'll be the first face-to-face. If I can get helos then I'll take'em. There seems to be three main types of units here in AZ, Field Arty, Aviation and Army Band. There's some MP's in there, too, but I'm neither a musician nor a cop so it looks like I'm in Arty or Aviation.
Thanx again.
Colin ;j

Tennessee Slim
08-17-2004, 18:11
BTW, Weez, them other services call 'em helos. In the army they're copters. And choppers are built in Milwaukee and ridden by guys with leather jackets and tattoos. ;)

magsnubby
08-17-2004, 21:40
Go aviation.

I still get the chills thinking about humpin' those damn 155 rounds.

MR. Fantastic
08-18-2004, 00:10
You need to ask yourself, "why exactly am I joining the military?" If you really want to defend this great nation from the evils that threaten us then you should go with a combat arms MOS (arty) so you can be on the front lines actually "fighting" the enemy. If the thought of death and killing dosen't sit well with you then perhaps a job in the rear might beter suit you. If you're looking to begin a career in the aviation field you don't need to join the military to do that, you can start that as a civilian and get paid much better.

Perhaps this may help. When someone asks you "so what do/did you do in the Army?" Would you rather answer, I turned wrenches on aircraft just like the guys down at Sky Harbor, or would you rather say I trained on the front lines to destroy enemy positions, personell and repel his assult through indirect fire.

Food for thought: I spent 4 years in an infantry unit while serving with the Marines. While in Baghdad some of our objectives were to conduct patrols, gather information and prevent any uprisings. When it came time for us to leave Baghdad my unit was relieved by guess who? Yup, an Army Artillery unit. They don't just shoot big guns, arty units also perform grunt duties.

Tennessee Slim
08-18-2004, 01:07
Truth. Whether you're Army or USMC, everyone's primary MOS is 11 bang-bang.

RoyG
08-18-2004, 05:18
FYI:

The aviation branch in the Army is now considered an combat arms MOS.

If you are in an attack or air cav unit you are quite often operating well forward of any friendly troops.

Road Weazel: if you want some info on the Longbow unit in Marana pm me.

1-285th ATKHB (http://www.az.ngb.army.mil/1-285ATKHB/index.htm)

feetpiece
08-20-2004, 21:03
Originally posted by KNEESINTHEBREEZ
AVIATION! By the way feetpiece, what is that in your photo, a 105?

Sorry about not getting back to you - yup thats a M119A1 105mm Howitzer... I miss that beast....

Road Weazel
08-22-2004, 18:18
Quote "Perhaps this may help. When someone asks you "so what do/did you do in the Army?" Would you rather answer, I turned wrenches on aircraft just like the guys down at Sky Harbor, or would you rather say I trained on the front lines to destroy enemy positions, personell and repel his assult through indirect fire."

My motives have been documented in this thread and another one. I have a career as an educator, If I change MOS it'll probably be to machinist or armorer and it'll be for personal enrichment. I don't have to prove anything to anyone, I'm 37 years old fer gosh sakes. The last time I checked the military worked as a TEAM. HQ needs generators to run their satelite links and computers to give proper direction to Arty forces. Copter mechanics need to run welders to repair the birds so they can get back up to the front. If called upon to be an 11B I can and will do that, too. Everybody contributes to success. If even the equipment manager screws up the team can't win.
I aim to be part of OUR TEAM, helpin to kick bad guy ass if called upon.
'Weazel

CarlosDJackal
08-24-2004, 14:09
Road Weasel, while not all the Commissioned or Warrant Officers recognize it, the maintenance crews play a very important role in any aviation unit. I always made it a point to thank my guys for getting my aircrafts up and safely running. We could not do our job (flying) if the aricraft is stuck on the ground. Mechanics also have a direct hand at preventing mishaps from happening.

Maybe it's because I was a rethread (prior Enlisted), but I fully understood how good aircraft mechanics have a direct affect on an Aviation Unit's Operational Readiness. So much so that in my unit, we actually ordered our Aviators to pitch in and lend a hand when the situation calls for it.

We all have our roles in the scheme of things. Do what you want and not what people say you should be doing. Keep those aircraft up and running and you'll be just as much a hero as the guys who are flying them.

Good luck!!

Tennessee Slim
08-24-2004, 15:13
Well said, CDJ. A crew chief is to an aviator what an offensive lineman is to a QB. I didn't give away Rolexes but at mixed-rank functions or when they had 16-hour workdays, I always made sure my 67 Victors were taken care of.

Road Weazel
08-24-2004, 22:09
I'm gonna try to get to the MEPS (intake) station this week. I already got a Romeo y Julieta 'Vintage' cigar in the humidor for when I return with my papers ;j
Cheers!

kawalerzysta
08-24-2004, 23:33
Originally posted by Nestor
I got to disagree, Cavalry rules all rhe way.

Tennessee Slim
08-25-2004, 00:24
Originally posted by kawalerzysta
Make it Air Cav and you got a deal. ;)

Half way down the trail to hell
In a shady meadow green....

Nestor
08-25-2004, 12:50
Originally posted by kawalerzysta

Yes, but I can only dream about another chance... Air Cavalry will be cool for sure.

16vmkII
08-26-2004, 15:02
Why would you want to be a Ground Pounder? To each his own though, I guess. If you think walking 15-25miles while carrying 80+lbs on uneven terrain is going to be fun, go for artillery. If you want to further your education, have a great career with the potential to earn 70K starting salary go aircrewchief/helo mech. (I forget the specific MOS) It's up to you;?

Tennessee Slim
08-26-2004, 16:10
Originally posted by 16vmkII
Why would you want to be a Ground Pounder?...
It’s a “tough-guy” job. Combat is about closing with and destroying the enemy. Some people like to get personally involved in their work and 11-Bs do it up close and personal. God love ‘em!

Road Weazel
08-27-2004, 14:28
I went to MEPS today and everything went great except....
After the height, weight and 'tape' (around the neck and belly) and I'm overweight, BY ONE POUND! You should have seen the little 18 year-old piggies that went in before me! They had twice the gut that I got. I seems that prior service is held to a higher standard (lower body fat) than new enlistments. I've been working out 3 to 4 days a week lately, it looks like I'm going every day until next week when I go back.
Grrrrrrrrrr.... Where's that bicycle? Pass the salad, please.
Colin

Glocks&Ducs
08-27-2004, 15:19
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim
Truth. Whether you're Army or USMC, everyone's primary MOS is 11 bang-bang.

Although technically true. I hate when people say this because you are held to the standard but not trained to it. I am in the Marine Corps, have been for just shy of twelve years. I am a Helicopter mechanic and the extent of my bang bang training is shooting the rifle once a year and I went to the field in Boot Camp('92) Marine Combat training('93) and Sergeant's course(2003). It was ten years to the day between humps(forced march) for me.

As far as Helos or Artillery. If the ANG Helos are as labor intensive as ours, you will be putting a lot of hours in any given day. If that doesn't bother you go for it. I am getting out real soon. I get out on a Saturday, on the next Monday I will be a mechanic in the exact same hangar as a civilian making $24 an hour. Like someone else said. No civilian demand for Arty guys.

NGWT
08-27-2004, 21:02
How did you go so fast from the recruiters to the MEPS?

I've been thinking about doing this too. Put in 13 years, got out 12 years ago and thinking about going back in to finish my 20 - at least in the Reserves.

I hold a couple Intel MOSs but I was thinking about Armor or Aviation.

I can't believe they nailed you on only one freakin' pound. You should told them you had to go the bathroom. ;)

Road Weazel
08-27-2004, 23:05
I've been working with these guys for a few weeks now and we still have a little paperwork to go through (like $90 to the state of IL from something back in 1990!?).
I'm really not sure whether it was fast or not, I just made sure that most of my paperwork was filled out and maybe I pushed them a little. I'm going on vacation is a couple of weeks and I would like to be enlisted before I leave.
I'm working my ***** off in the gym for six days straight and I'm gonna eat like a freakin' rabbit. I will lose more than 1 pound. I'm also going to ask them to measure my height again and see if I can't squeak an extra inch out on that one.

To quote Eric Cartman, "I'm not fat, I'm big-boned... Beefcake, BEEFCAKE!!"

BNSF
09-06-2004, 12:12
Go medical or health care services. More money.

Tennessee Slim
09-06-2004, 13:34
Originally posted by BNSF
...but don't forget your pink lace panties. ;)

mark836
09-06-2004, 13:43
In the Marines the airwingers usually had an easier life. But the hours are LONG, belive me the birds must stay up. When half your crew is sick the birds must still fly. Whereas in an infantry/arti BN you can play war games with one flanking unit not there, not so in the wing. For either MOS keep those earplugs in! Dont be macho, protect your ears and stay safe.

Road Weazel
09-06-2004, 13:46
...but don't forget your pink lace panties. ;)
We gots the whole 'Nurses Outfit' but that's for the missus to wear, and only when I'm not feeling so good and need some special attention ;i

Back to joining up...
Someone screwed up on getting me into MEPS last Thursday. Kinda pissed me off since I was in the gym for and hour and a half to two hours a day everyday and ate nothing that tasted good for a week. Anyway, they're getting me in on Sept. 11th. Kinda fitting I think.
Here we go again with the gym and eating habits... ;Q
Cheers!
Colin

Glocks&Ducs
09-06-2004, 14:49

I actually think it would be more money for him to go airwing and get on flying orders. In the Marine Corps, although a different branch, for an enlisted guy starting out that is an extra $150 or so a month. Tax free.

If I am not mistaken. Whatever Medical or Health care he learned in the military would still be worthless without the formal education to back it up.

All military people of the same rank get paid the same amount unless they are filling a special billet, such as flight orders. So I don't see how that would be more money if he went into the medical field. Not to mention you have wipe people's butt and stuff.:)

theHULK9281
09-07-2004, 20:28
Currently in the ARNG and my primary MOS is 13B (field artillery).

When it comes down to actually firing, there's nothing more exciting than putting 96lb HE rounds down range from a M198 Howitzer. That being said, if you don't mind humping those rounds from gun to gun because your LT cannot count, then FA is for you.

;b

Tennessee Slim
09-08-2004, 10:26
Originally posted by theHULK9281
...When it comes down to actually firing, there's nothing more exciting than putting 96lb HE rounds down range from a M198 Howitzer. ...
How 'bout lighting up the night sky with the splash of a 120mm Sabot round from an M1-A2 against a hardened target? Or the secondary explosions after busting a T-72 with a Hellfire?

At least tankers and rotorheads get to see their weapon’s terminal effects; in the real world, how often does a cannon cocker even get to see the impact? You’re taking the word of the FO that the rounds ever even came down.

MR. Fantastic
09-09-2004, 22:40
Originally posted by mark836
When half your crew is sick the birds must still fly. Whereas in an infantry/arti BN you can play war games with one flanking unit not there, not so in the wing. For either MOS keep those earplugs in! Dont be macho, protect your ears and stay safe.

Infantry boys aren't allowed to get sick. Good tip on the earplugs though. It's a good idea to wear them in an armored veichles as well.

Chopperdog
09-11-2004, 09:35
My vote is for Aviation.

CaptainOveur
09-12-2004, 14:11
Originally posted by 16vmkII
Why would you want to be a Ground Pounder? To each his own though, I guess. If you think walking 15-25miles while carrying 80+lbs on uneven terrain is going to be fun, go for artillery. If you want to further your education, have a great career with the potential to earn 70K starting salary go aircrewchief/helo mech. (I forget the specific MOS) It's up to you;?

Uh...what? The guns are either self propelled or towed by various vehicles. You don't "walk with 80+lbs" in field artillery. I'm not sure why you think that.

I was in multiple launch rocket systems artillery, and I had a pretty good time, did a lot of stuff. Being in aviation would have probably been beneficial to my current career, but I didn't "waste" my time in artillery, I got plenty of opportunity for leadership and growth, which will mean a lot in your later life. Most businesses and organizations are looking for leaders and self-motivated people, not just those with some tech knowledge.

Tennessee Slim
09-12-2004, 16:30
Originally posted by CaptainOveur
Uh...what? The guns are either self propelled or towed by various vehicles. You don't "walk with 80+lbs" in field artillery. I'm not sure why you think that....
He was referring to the grunts, ergo the "ground pounder" reference.

Road Weazel
09-13-2004, 01:07
I'm off on vacation for three weeks and when I come back all the paperwork should be approved...
I'm debating on whether to sign for one, two or three years. If I do one they won't send me anywhere to go play in the sand. If I go two I might get to go play but if I go for three I get a signing bonus and I could get to go play. I'd really like the chance to go play in the sandbox.
Hmmmmmmm...

mark836
09-13-2004, 15:28
How in the world can you sign up for just one year of active duty? It takes almost that long to get through training... plus once in the reserves you are going to get activated anyway and get your chance to go play...;f

BTM203
09-15-2004, 16:46
Mate,

As an Army Aviator myself, you would be crazy to go Artillery!

Go the helos!

If it can't hover, don't bother!

txleapd
09-16-2004, 09:51
The tip of the spear is infantry. EVERYONE else is support. Even the guy carrying the SAW is in support of the rifleman. That being said....

Go Aviation. There is more opportunity when you get out, and you get a shot at crew chief. You also tend to live a more comfortable life. As part of the flight crew on a helo you can still see some action (if you think that's what it's cracked up to be).

FLIPPER 348
09-17-2004, 14:21

I’ve seen Chinook units deploy to the field and bring generators, refrigerators, microwave ovens, TVs and VCRs. I’ve been in wh*re houses that weren’t as lavishly outfitted as their GP mediums.

FLIPPER 348 was the call sign of 'my' Chinook ............and yes we had our supply of creature comforts, one must remain civilized you know. I joined the Military for me, not them and aviation was the ticket for what I wanted to do for a living.

Tennessee Slim
09-17-2004, 14:31
Originally posted by FLIPPER 348
FLIPPER 348 was the call sign of 'my' Chinook ............and yes we had our supply of creature comforts, one must remain civilized you know. I joined the Military for me, not them and aviation was the ticket for what I wanted to do for a living.
Well more power to ye. It takes guts to fly any aircraft that can have a midair collision with itself. ;)

FLIPPER 348
09-17-2004, 14:45
I flew 'in' it, 1300 hours................back before I was smart enough to be scared!

cannoncocker
10-02-2004, 10:40
definetly aviation!!!!!!

MV22Crewchief
10-18-2004, 18:24
Coming from someone that has been working aviation in the Marine Corp for 7 years now, go aviation. I respect the grunts but man screw that...

Smitty

Road Weazel
10-18-2004, 22:36
We're still waiting for the waivers to come back from whatever governmental black hole they were sent to. It seems there was a slot in FA but not in Avaiton. Recruiter sez I can volunteer for deployment and transfer once I get to my FA unit, we'll see.
Thanx again for all the input and advice.
I'll post here when the waivers get back.
Colin

FLIPPER 348
10-19-2004, 23:57
Tell your reciuter to GO SCREW HIMSELF!!! Let him know you will take aviation and aviation only................he will call. He does not give crap-1 about you, you are only a number to him.

You will hate FA and regret the day you signed up.

Road Weazel
04-08-2005, 16:31
Quite possibly ME at 37 years old!
I got the call last Tuesday to go down and 'swear in'. Took'm long enough ;^)
I had my choice of a Headquarters unit that will probably stay here forever or a Field Arty unit that's changing over to Infantry in the next couple of months and will then most likely deploy by year's end.
I'm going with the Infantry. I'll keep my MOS of Generator Repair but will try to switch to Aviation Mechanic later on.
Thanx again for everyone's input on this topic, I appreciate all the advice.
Cheers!
Colin

Black Tiger
04-24-2005, 16:45
THe key thing here is tha tyou'll eventually leave tjhe military and you will have to find a civilian job. You could become a "Redleg" and sling '155 shells in the military, but then you get out and you have no marketeable skills that you could use in the civilian market.

As aviation however, you have more skills that you can transfer into the civilian sector.

Take Aviation powerplant mechanic for example. You can go to the private sector and get a job being a mechanic for you local police department's aviation unit and earn a good living fixing choppers.

Let's say you take electronics and become a Blackhawk Subsystems repairman, then after you get out, you could land a job at Hughes Aviation (they make the AH-64 Apache), Sikorsky Aviation (they make the MH-53 Sea Stallion and the CH-47 Chinook) or Bell Aircraft (they make the AH-6 Little Bird) assembling the electronics on birds coming out of the assembly line; imagine how much them guys make?

Bottom line is, whichever MOS you choose, make sure is one that you will like and one that will have you say "Man, I can't wait to get to work today"

Take it from me, I have two MOS qualifications and I know what is like to get up in the morning wishing you had a different job.

BTW< I love my current MOS (31B10 - Military Police)

Glocks&Ducs
04-24-2005, 17:59
Sikorsky does not make the CH-47. Just a little FYI.

Kjott21
04-24-2005, 18:35
I am in the PA Army National Guard as a 13B

I wish I wasn't a Cannoneer......
but some of it is fun.

Cavalry Doc
04-26-2005, 13:48
Originally posted by Road Weazel
I'm gonna try to get to the MEPS (intake) station this week. I already got a Romeo y Julieta 'Vintage' cigar in the humidor for when I return with my papers ;j
Cheers!

Just a piece of advice, and an appology to all the recruiters out there.

Recruiters do not always have your best interest as their first interest. (sorry recruiters. ;Q )

Stay firm, as long as you qualify for what you want. And if they don't have what you want the day you go. Then GO HOME and go back another day. I've met a lot of soldiers that enlisted for what they had available that day instead of what they really wanted.

In 1985, I was told "sorry, but this is all we have". I stood up and asked if the physical I had in my hand would work for the Air Force recruiters across the hall and started heading for the door. I got what I wanted, and station of choice within 20 minutes.

I'm still in the Army and loving it. Started off as a Pharmacy Tech(clean job, but not enough "hooah" points for me), now a Physician Assistant. I have no room to complain at all.

Doc

Glocks&Ducs
04-26-2005, 14:05
Originally posted by Cavalry Doc
Just a piece of advice, and an appology to all the recruiters out there.

Recruiters do not always have your best interest as their first interest. (sorry recruiters. ;Q )

Stay firm, as long as you qualify for what you want. And if they don't have what you want the day you go. Then GO HOME and go back another day. I've met a lot of soldiers that enlisted for what they had available that day instead of what they really wanted.

In 1985, I was told "sorry, but this is all we have". I stood up and asked if the physical I had in my hand would work for the Air Force recruiters across the hall and started heading for the door. I got what I wanted, and station of choice within 20 minutes.

I'm still in the Army and loving it. Started off as a Pharmacy Tech(clean job, but not enough "hooah" points for me), now a Physician Assistant. I have no room to complain at all.

Doc

Having been a recruiter, you might want to keep in mind that yours were actually trying to get you to join with what was available to them at the time, without making a special request. There are certain jobs that are higher demand than others and only so many are alloted per recruiting region. Each region can include several states. Those slots may have been used up in your region and they had to get a slot from one of the other regions. Not always an easy thing to do.

I am not trying to stick up for recruiters, because I hate the process that is employed and how it ruins people's careers if they are not shady enough to make it out there, but just providing you with a different perspective.

Cavalry Doc
04-27-2005, 14:23
Understand totally. I deeply sympathize with what a recruiter has to go through.

My advice still stands. If what you want isn't available. Go home and go back to the MEPS when it is.

I forgot to add that the suggestion often made to young people enlisting is that they can enlist in this MOS (pick one), and then they can simply change it in a year with a 4187. I've heard that hundreds of times. I'm sure that some people have been able to change their MOS after that magical year. But I haven't met one in over 18 years.

The Army is an awesome career choice, but you should make the choices that are best suited to you. You're more likely to complete your first enlistment, and more likely to re-enlist if you are happy with your MOS. If you're flexible.....great. If you really have your heart set on a specific MOS, wait for it.

Doc

;?

reconvic
04-27-2005, 14:36
With the world as it is now, A Winger in the Corps would be a good choice. Your call, Been there done that!

Originally posted by MV22Crewchief
Coming from someone that has been working aviation in the Marine Corp for 7 years now, go aviation. I respect the grunts but man screw that...

Smitty http://www.hunt101.com/img/260238.gif

RM
05-08-2005, 18:44
Originally posted by RoyG
FYI:

The aviation branch in the Army is now considered an combat arms MOS.

1-285th ATKHB (http://www.az.ngb.army.mil/1-285ATKHB/index.htm)

I don't believe that is the case, both it and FA are combat support in the army, they have to be because women are allowed in.

BNSF
05-09-2005, 02:31
in FA? Where? Can you be more specific?

RM
05-09-2005, 11:54
in FA? Where? Can you be more specific?

In my 3 years as a FAOBC instructor I had 8 female student Lts in the platoons I was the primary instructor for. All but 2, I believe were branch detailed. Most of female officers went to FATC on the East side of I-44, to be XOs for training batteries or to 2/2 FA to be FDOs/PLs. A couple were sent to Div and Corps arty HHBs, to do who knows what.

There was 1 female FA LtCol who commanded, I believe the designator was 2/80 FA, but that was along time ago so the unit designation may be wrong, but the army has allowed women officers in the FA for along time.

BNSF
05-09-2005, 13:15
Since my induction back in the mid 80's when I became a Red Leg never saw a female in the FA. Maybe in the ADA, but I am shocked. It has been a while and I am lost now with most of the FA concept and its weapons systems. I've switched branches since my hearing is more valuable that shooting, moving and communicating.

I often talked with other comrades when I was in the FA about females being allowed in the field, but I always heard that they were not allowed due to the fact that it was considered combat arms.

You said a long time. How long? After Desert Storm?

Thanks for the clarification.

Alaska Bush Man
06-03-2005, 19:09
After 26 years in the Army I suggest a job that you can also use on the outside as well.

Military Police 95B is excellent and then specialize in Dog handler!

In todays Army, I just retired 12 Jun......I was in a 1st Cav Division Artillery in Bagdad that was transformed into the 5th Combat Brigade.....since most of the artillery missions went to the marines.....so for the 13B it was Mech Infantry was their job. I was a NBC Nuc Bio and Chemical and was the Brigade Force Protection NCOIC.....pick your MOS careful.

cannoncocker
06-10-2005, 21:03
aviation ;Q

Linh40
06-15-2005, 22:44
Originally posted by RM
In my 3 years as a FAOBC instructor I had 8 female student Lts in the platoons I was the primary instructor for. All but 2, I believe were branch detailed. Most of female officers went to FATC on the East side of I-44, to be XOs for training batteries or to 2/2 FA to be FDOs/PLs. A couple were sent to Div and Corps arty HHBs, to do who knows what.

There was 1 female FA LtCol who commanded, I believe the designator was 2/80 FA, but that was along time ago so the unit designation may be wrong, but the army has allowed women officers in the FA for along time.

My 2 years in a FA unit in Germany. I never saw a single women. Not saying your wrong but if they have women in artillery then they would have to allow women in infantry. In Iraq our FA unit patrolled the most dangerous area of our AO. Our Infantry units area aren't as dangerous as our FA area.

Road Weazel
06-15-2005, 23:42
I enlisted a little while back and they were able to get me avaition. I'm with the 285th outside of Tucson and my first drill should be on the 16 and 17th of July.
I'm hitting the gym 5 or 6 times a week to ensure I pass the PT test. If I don't pass PT then I don't get to go to school to learn how to fix those bad-ass birds.
Thanx again to everyone who gave input or well-wishes. This is going to be a trip. The whole '38 year old Private' thing is kinda phunny in itself. The good news is that I'm up for PFC in two and a half months!
Cheers!
Colin "The oldest Private in the Army"

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-4/989019/Privates.jpg

Linh40
06-16-2005, 19:04
I enlisted a little while back and they were able to get me avaition. I'm with the 285th outside of Tucson and my first drill should be on the 16 and 17th of July.
I'm hitting the gym 5 or 6 times a week to ensure I pass the PT test. If I don't pass PT then I don't get to go to school to learn how to fix those bad-ass birds.
Thanx again to everyone who gave input or well-wishes. This is going to be a trip. The whole '38 year old Private' thing is kinda phunny in itself. The good news is that I'm up for PFC in two and a half months!
Cheers!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-4/989019/Privates.jpg

Yeah I think you are the oldest Private in the army. I once met a Specialist that was 32 and I though that was old. But it's the norm to have older Soldiers in the National guard or Reserve.

alienglockster
06-27-2005, 18:23
Cheers!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-4/989019/Privates.jpg You are going to love Ft Useless. I take it you are going as a 15R..

If you are prior then why get bumped down to Pvt??