Training questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Training questions

scowan007
08-17-2004, 16:51
What kind of training do you do with your dogs?

What do you folks think of training with Electronic collar? Clicker?

Anyone know about AKC Canine Good Citizen?

I was reading on another board (not registered there yet, just lurking) and someone mentioned their dog was a certified therapy dog. That sounded pretty cool. Anyone ever heard of this?

Anyone do Schutzhund? I think I'm way too lazy for that! How much time does that take per day?

Slobberchops
08-17-2004, 16:56
Originally posted by scowan007
What kind of training do you do with your dogs?

Anyone know about AKC Canine Good Citizen?

go to http://www.akc.org/love/cgc/index.cfm

to find out more about canine good citizen.

G20man32904
08-18-2004, 01:21
scowan007, first off I am sorry for your recent loss, I feel for you.

Canine good citizen is like kindergarden for dogs. :) An excellent start to any training program.
The electronic collar and clicker are nothing more than tools. Both can work very well or not at all depending on the trainer. If yo choose the remote correction (collar) get some professional help from reputable trainer in your area. They are mostly used for off-lead, or advanced obedience but can be used for a wide variety of problem solving. If used improperly they can ruin your dog within 1-2 corrections. The better collars have varying degree's of shock intesity and duration. The key is that the dog cannot know you are pushing the button!!!
Schutzhund is the most fun by far but also requires the most time. Tracking practice starts before dawn and every dog runs at least 1 track. So If your club has 20 dogs show up for tracking its going to be a long day. On average I would guesstamate 15-30hours per week, depending on your skill level, as well as the dogs. Btw if you didnt know, the training is really for you ;f
Hope I answered everything for you, if you have any specifics pm me and I will be glad to help you out...

Bill73
08-19-2004, 11:04
Cassie was 4 years old when we adopted her and those years will always be a mystery. So, we signed up for one on one training with a Triple Crown Academy graduate that has her on facility. $25 a pop, but a discount for GSRG dogs. It was worth every penny. She gave us a clicker with instructions. Cassie recoiled at the sound, we found load noises sent her seeking cover so we returned the device. Just the lessons from a professional, and our continued practice, was all that was needed.

If you get off on the wrong foot from the start it will be hard to correct the errors.

Just my thoughts, certainly not professional. All dogs are sowewhat different as well as people.