Harley Sportster-Thanks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Harley Sportster-Thanks

mesteve2
08-20-2004, 02:33
Friends:

Thank You for all the great help and honest help.

I bought the Harley 2002 for $4,000.

Had it for three days and two nights.

Traded it for 2003 V-Star Custom.

Paid $2,000. extra Total $6,000 out of pocket.

Now that is a bike.

The Sportster was a real POS.

Did not feel safe at speeds over 50 mph.

How need some insurance.

Please tell me what I need.

I go to the VA.

No health ins.

Thanks again.

bassman-dan
08-20-2004, 09:32
I would suggest that you go to progressive.com and get the name and phone number of a local independent progressive agent. Phone them and find out what amount of coverage is required by your state. Also discuss what you need for your own personal circumstances such as medical coverage. Once you have obtained that information, call 1-888-438-0867 to get a quote-it should be cheaper directly from the company.
You should also get a quote from bike-line.com and state farm since they may be cheaper. One word of caution--make sure that whoever you use for insurance is actually licensed by your state or you may find yourself in trouble when it is time to make a claim.
Good luck.

markos
08-21-2004, 10:09
Three days and two nights, you're a fast learner. You might enjoy this rant on why H-D is not a real motorcycle

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html

Progressive is probaly your best bet for insurance
I may have missed it ,but is this your first bike?
Stay safe

bgcc11
08-21-2004, 19:33
Move to Florida.
Insurance is not required for motorcycles (if you wear a helmet or have life insurance).

RKC2000
08-24-2004, 20:32
Originally posted by mesteve2
Friends:

Thank You for all the great help and honest help.

I bought the Harley 2002 for $4,000.

Had it for three days and two nights.

Traded it for 2003 V-Star Custom.

Paid $2,000. extra Total $6,000 out of pocket.

Now that is a bike.

The Sportster was a real POS.

Did not feel safe at speeds over 50 mph.

How need some insurance.

Please tell me what I need.

I go to the VA.

No health ins.

Thanks again.

I had a 1996 Sportster 1200. Had it up to 115 mph no problems. Frequently cruised at 70 to 80, no problems. I'm sure others will be smoother at higher speeds, but I've never felt unsafe with the Sporty.

Dandapani
08-25-2004, 05:54
Insurance: http://www.bike-line.com/

Great company. Bike insurance by real bikers!

BrianM_G21
08-25-2004, 08:53
Progressive and Dairyland (part of Sentry) are 2 of the cheaper independent, no catch companies. State Farm is known to be great on larger displacement bikes, but you Must have a car with them. And since you mentioned the VA, USAA is supposed to be very good too, I just haven't called for a quote yet (only eligable for the last month, and I paid a years worth of insurance at Dairyland back in May ~ at a $110/year, who wouldn't?).

As for the no health insurance, you either need to buy some or spend money on the best gear out there. **** happens no matter how experienced you are... the saying goes "Dress for the crash, not for the ride"