Harley Road King or Honda Gold Wing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Harley Road King or Honda Gold Wing

AWMP
08-20-2004, 02:36
Trying to decide which bike. Currently Deployed to Iraq and I have had a road king before and looking at getting another one before I leave , but been toying with the idea of a Gold Wing. Anyone help here? Advantages/Disadvantages? Thanks
AW

Ralphumor
08-23-2004, 00:24
Lets see....6 Cyc water cooled shaft drive rock solid dependable....I love motorcycles but I love Hondas MORE...I will admit that the Harley has higher resale but I cant see how..Right now in the classified there are about 40 Harleys..Everyone seems to be wanting to sell them.... Goldwings RULE!

pck50
08-23-2004, 00:34
If you prefer a honda go for a Honda 1800 Rune.
If you like foreign go for the BMW K1200s

Two Great Bikes

Bdnbrck
08-23-2004, 00:51
Honda ST1300

BMW K1200GT

Those are what I'd get....

ateamer
08-23-2004, 21:02
Find a low-mileage (under 50,000) GL1500. The 1800s have solid valve lifters that need to be adjusted, rather than the hydraulic lifters Honda has used in the Wings forever. Also, the 1500s don't have a history of cracked frames like the 1800.

Road King or Wing? Hmmm, that would be a tough choice if I didn't already have a Wing.

ColoradoPacker
08-23-2004, 22:38
It really depends on what you want it to do - if you want a wetbar and fridge, get the Honda - if you like the looks you'll get and the sound, get the Harley :cool:

chevrofreak
08-23-2004, 23:15
Honda. I dont like Harleys.

BrianM_G21
08-24-2004, 09:16
It all depends on what you want... the Wings have a bit better handling if you toss some corners at them, tend to be a bit cheaper both to buy and to operate and you certainly won't be seen as a RUB. The HD has LOTS of aftermarket support (way more than the Wing), instant recognition, and for the people who find it necessary, the sound/percieved attitude.

I'd suspect that a Wing might be a bit more comfortable for extendid trips (3~4 or more days of 600+ miles a day), though I may be wrong as I've seen a ****load of HD's out here while moving. If you're not going to be taking to many overnight trips and staying more or less local to your home, then it's a toss-up ~ buy what's most appealing to you.

Personally, I'm going to trade my VFR for a BMW and some hyper-sports bike. Get the LD touring and 2-up with one bike and my need for speed/corners with the other. Something I've found necessary over the last decade as I've moved from a barely legal racebike for my daily ride to a nearly stock 'sport-touring' bike and being frustrated at something the whole time.

Catbird
08-24-2004, 09:42
Between those two:

Wing...YES
King...NO

RKC2000
08-24-2004, 20:18
Well, ah, let me see....Gee, this is a difficult one for me...

Guess I vote for sound.

Dandapani
08-24-2004, 20:42
Originally posted by pck50
If you prefer a honda go for a Honda 1800 Rune.

Fugly.

quinch
08-25-2004, 01:06
I think it depends on how much you ride. If you ride more than drive, Wing.
If you're a weekend cruiser, Road King.

The Road King can never hope to match a Goldwing in day to day use, but it sure is pretty! It's one of the few Harleys I really think are beautiful.

That said, a GoldWing is an Electra Glide with a better motor, tranny, electronics, ergos, aero, reliabilty, and performance.
I'll grant it doesn't have the look of an Electra Glide or Road King, but if your putting on serious miles or long trips, function over fashion!

JMHO

45acp4me
08-25-2004, 06:33
Gold Wing all the way if you are going to do some serious touring. More power, more comfortable and more reliable.

Regards,
Glen

Ralphumor
08-25-2004, 14:15
Originally posted by dmobrien2001
Fugly.

Boy you can say that again!!!! :cool:

pck50
08-25-2004, 14:44
LOL, But Baby Its 1800cc Thats severe Power!

beachside39
08-26-2004, 20:47
I've had two Honda 900 Customs... shaft drive, etc. and enjoyed the smooth ride for 50,000 miles or so.

I test drove a new Harley and Gold Wing.... The Harley was nice but seemed to be more basic while the Wing was a complete machine. You can't beat the smooth ride if you plan to be on it for any distance. But, if you want the "Harley image", you can't ride anything but a Harley.

I don't care about image.. I like what the Wing does for me. It has a lot of standard features... fairing, bags, trunk, radio, cruise, etc. that makes it complete for my use. Of course, you can spend thousands on accessories but why? It's still the same bike, only heavier. Forget the $1,000 CB and $1,000 CD changer. You can plug your iPOD into the accessory jack and enjoy more quality music for much less.

I've found new 2004 Wings on the internet for $15,000-$16,000 but am waiting for the 2005 to come out which should be any day now. Then, I'm doing some serious internet shopping for my new bike.

Buy what you want and enjoy the ride!

Texas T
08-27-2004, 18:56
Originally posted by Ralphumor

Fugly

fireslayer23
08-27-2004, 22:12
If you want reverse, a cb and a navigational system you should get an RV.

AWMP
08-30-2004, 01:32
Sorry guys but its a 2005 Harley Road King, either white or two tone blue. Wife said gold wings were for older folks, lol.
The gold wing is a great bike, but I think the road king works better for me, thanks again for the input and emails.

Catbird
08-30-2004, 06:32
I know next to nothing about HDs other than a riding friend of mine has a Road King and has had repeated problems with his transmission. It seems like his bike is in the shop more than on the road. I don't know whether this is typical of these particular bikes or not. ;Q

TreeTrooper
08-30-2004, 10:50
I have had both (HD Road King and GL 1500), and went back to the Wing. Much better bike in all aspects except maybe posing. Got a VFR for zooming, and a Wing for travelling with my wife. If Harley ever stops peddling 1920's technology, maybe I'll give 'em a whirl again.

45acp4me
08-30-2004, 11:03
Originally posted by AWMP
Sorry guys but its a 2005 Harley Road King, either white or two tone blue. Wife said gold wings were for older folks, lol.
The gold wing is a great bike, but I think the road king works better for me, thanks again for the input and emails.

I'm sorry to hear you let your wife suck you into the "American Iron or Nothing" crowd. Perhaps you could take her on a test ride on both and see what one she likes better.

If Harleys bikes worked as well as their marketing machine, we couldn't make fun of their outdated, overpriced paint shakers anymore.

Regards,
Glen

BrianM_G21
08-30-2004, 12:08
Glen, sounds like you're either jealous or clueless. HD is a great marketing machine, but it markets what people want and people buy. I think it's funny that people bash on it as an 'American' bike when the Wing is more american in components and assembly than HD's have been in many years.

In the end, if it's got 2 wheels and a motor, gets you down the road with a smile, WTF difference what the name on the side of the tank says? That goes double for the people watching it from their car.

You think it's rough having gun laws, at least most firearm owners are united. Motorcyclists are an even Smaller minority, and all the majority of riders do is bicker back and forth about why the other persons bike sucks. The laws keeping you from have a motorcycle in housing developments, or apartment complexes is what sucks. Being banned from restraunts is what sucks.. being profiled by the police before of the bike you ride sucks... None of it has jack **** to do with the brand. If you (and the others who seem intent on trashing one brand/style or another) are to clueless and closeminded to see that EVERYONES rights are being slowly stripped away, then perhaps it doesn't really matter anyway because they aren't rights you'd exercise in the first place.

Get over it, a motorcycle is a motorcycle no matter how you cut it. The guy's getting a bike and getting on the road, he chose what fit right and what he wanted ~ just like you. Now, either go shoot or go ride... I'm going to reload.

45acp4me
08-30-2004, 12:47
Originally posted by BrianM_G21
Glen, sounds like you're either jealous or clueless. HD is a great marketing machine, but it markets what people want and people buy. I think it's funny that people bash on it as an 'American' bike when the Wing is more american in components and assembly than HD's have been in many years.

In the end, if it's got 2 wheels and a motor, gets you down the road with a smile, WTF difference what the name on the side of the tank says? That goes double for the people watching it from their car.

Jealous? Not even close. ;e Harley markets an image and a totally inferior product. They make more money selling official merchandise than they do their bikes.

I respect any person who rides a lot or can at least work on their own bike. I laugh at anyone who takes their bike to the dealership for everything, rides less than a few times a year and has spent more money of official Hardly gear than they have on gas for the bike. But they are still cool just because it sits in the garage. ;f

Now if they stick the vrod motor in a sport touring bike, I might consider one.

Cheers!
Glen

ragnarock47
08-30-2004, 17:17
I agree with both of you; John and Glen.

If you're riding, cool. Doesn't much matter what name is on it, just be happy.

On the other hand, I don't see why people pay tomorrows prices for yesterdays technology when buying Harleys, but hey, to each their own. I test rode two Buells, and those things were the biggest pieces of crap I've ever ridden, but I got a nice backpack for doing the test ride. Thanks HD/Buell!!!!

AWMP
08-30-2004, 22:57
Wow what an emotional firestorm. This will be my fourth Harley and have never had any problems with any of them.
I have had Hondas and others, had a few problems here and there but for the most part been lucky.
I do agree Motorcyclist are a minority. Not sure how you ride where your from but where I am from, you pass another motorcyclist on the road you wave (do the same on back roads in Texas in our pickup). It's not a brand thing, its not a marketing thing, its not a sportsbike or touring bike thing, its a motorycylist thing.
Thanks for the input, but dang, just get on your bike, whatever it may be, ride and watch out for the other idiots on the road that have more than two wheels.

Catbird
08-31-2004, 05:45
Speaking of waving....

It seems like around here (most of the time), the HD riders only wave to other HD riders. It's really a mystery to me why some nice people, when they get on their HDs, are transformed into people with attitudes. ^8

ColoradoPacker
08-31-2004, 10:29
Originally posted by Catbird
Speaking of waving....

It seems like around here (most of the time), the HD riders only wave to other HD riders. It's really a mystery to me why some nice people, when they get on their HDs, are transformed into people with attitudes. ^8

They don't know any better? I figure if they rode something else before a harley, they'd know.

What is really stuck up is that Subaru WRX owners only wave to other subaru WRX owners, and no other car owners wave at each other (at least not in my 42 years on earth) ;a

45acp4me
08-31-2004, 11:05
Originally posted by ColoradoPacker
They don't know any better? I figure if they rode something else before a harley, they'd know.

What is really stuck up is that Subaru WRX owners only wave to other subaru WRX owners, and no other car owners wave at each other (at least not in my 42 years on earth) ;a

Miata drivers have been waving for the past 14 years.

Regards,
Glen

quinch
09-03-2004, 21:52
Don't forget the Saturn thing, the first few years they were out.
:)

I also suggest taking the wife on a test ride on both the bikes, I would be suprised if she still prefered the HD. For the $ required for either of these bikes, you should be able to get a test ride.

Sounds like you really like the HD style though, so more power to you!
I'll still wave at ya, even from my VTX. ;)

pck50
09-03-2004, 22:42
tell The misses too also check out the Bimmers, LOL. There rock solid WOW

Originally posted by AWMP

Catbird
09-04-2004, 07:12
I know I've posted this same picture MANY times in various threads, but here's my Beemer:

Catbird
09-04-2004, 07:16
One more view:

pck50
09-04-2004, 07:50
Very Nice Bike

Bubba w/a 45/70
09-04-2004, 07:53
AWMP, congrats on your decision. I think that you will enjoy your ride, just don't concern yourself with what others think of your bike. Are you shooting a gun because someone else likes it more than you?;Q

For everyone out there that notices the "waving thing"....come up to North Dakota, we wave at eachother no matter what we are riding. I have ridden both Suzuki and HD and have received and given waves from/to pretty much everyone. I do notice no difference in nonwavers, some on HD's, some on sport type of bikes.

BTW, I currently ride some pretty new technology from HD----1981 FLT

chevrofreak
09-04-2004, 08:45
Catbird, my uncle has a K1200LT, thats one damned nice bike.

Short Cut
09-04-2004, 08:55
I think it depends on what your primary use is. The RK is my favorite HD. I like its looks and versatility. If you're going to spend a fair percentage of your riding doing two-up touring though, the Gold Wing would be a better choice imo. The GW's chassis is made to haul the weight of two riders and their gear and its engine is better suited too.

peter3334
09-04-2004, 09:03
I think the appropriate comparison is Electric Glide Classic vs
Gold Wing.
I would take the Electric Glide (stock pipes) noise is for idiots.

otherwise take the Road King,

but if you go Road King, you should really go Electric Glide Standard
(the best deal in the Harley lineup for many reasons)

ph,

Catbird
09-04-2004, 09:04
K1200LT, thats one damned nice bike
You're right about that!

My BMW dealership let me take one out for an 8-hour ride through the Blue Ridge mountains. For a big, heavy bike, that "thing" took those mountain roads with their hairpin turns like an offroad bike. I'd like to have one.

winglock
09-24-2004, 20:52
Originally posted by ColoradoPacker
It really depends on what you want it to do - if you want a wetbar and fridge, get the Honda - if you like the looks you'll get and the sound, get the Harley :cool: I have a Wing and always get compliments.

winglock
09-24-2004, 20:56
Originally posted by pck50
LOL, But Baby Its 1800cc Thats severe Power! Same engine as the new Wings!!!

winglock
09-24-2004, 21:00
Originally posted by 45acp4me
I'm sorry to hear you let your wife suck you into the "American Iron or Nothing" crowd. Perhaps you could take her on a test ride on both and see what one she likes better.

If Harleys bikes worked as well as their marketing machine, we couldn't make fun of their outdated, overpriced paint shakers anymore.

Regards,
Glen Double Ditto!!

RKC2000
09-26-2004, 21:46

I respect any person who rides a lot or can at least work on their own bike. I laugh at anyone who takes their bike to the dealership for everything, rides less than a few times a year and has spent more money of official Hardly gear than they have on gas for the bike. But they are still cool just because it sits in the garage. ;f

Cheers!
Glen

I'll agree on both counts: I usually get in 10,000 miles a year in Minnesota: that's mid April thru mid November.

It's unbelievable what dealerships charge for regular maintenance: that which you can easily do yourself - just buy the manual and get your hands dirty.

Oh, and HD does plan to put the water-cooled V-Rod engine in the touring bikes in years to come to meet pollution standards.

ColoradoPacker
09-27-2004, 00:17
Originally posted by winglock
I have a Wing and always get compliments.

Actually, if I had to have a honda, it would be a Valkyrie

Bullwinkle J Moose
09-27-2004, 16:20
MCN's new issue compared the GL1800 to the new K1200LT and the Beemer won. I wouldn't have a Harley, because the local dealer is a jerk and I don't have a truck or trailer to get it back home.
;f

Bullman
10-03-2004, 08:39

Cheers!
Glen

I hear that Buell is working on getting the VRod motor in some of their stuff.

Dandapani
10-03-2004, 09:24
Originally posted by Ralphumor

Ok, Fugly! I saw one in person at the Honda shop. My opinion is not changed. LONG! Low. Weird front end, some kind of rocker. Single seater as setup. Fugly. What were they thinking?

xrated
10-08-2004, 11:55
First of all, a little background on me. I'm new on Glock Talk (this is my first post actually), but I've been riding motorcycles for just over 33 years. I am a salesman at a Honda/Harley dealership in the midwest and would like to respond to the the post by offering a little info.
1. Comparing the G.W. and the R.K., are like comparing apples to oranges. The Wing is the top of the line Honda in the touring dept., whereas the Ultra Classic is Harley's top of the line touring bike.
2. From a performance standpoint, it's hands down Honda. Better handling, superb ride, tons more HP, smoothness, reliability, quality, warranty, blah, blah, blah.
3. Pricing, once again, no comparison. Honda Wings are sold for $17,295 at our shop and the Ultra Classic is in the mid to upper $21K.
4. None of the Metric bikes hold resale value as well as Harley Davidson does, score one for H.D.
5. For long trips, factoring in fatiage (sp?), here again, Honda does it better. (much less vibration, adjustable windshield, electric reverse, etc).
6. Drive shaft (G.W.) vs. Belt drive (U.C.)...drive shaft is quieter, lasts longer, less maintenance.

I sell them both and always try to find out what kind of rider I'm dealing with. The last thing in the world I want to do is try to sell you a motorcycle that ISN'T what you came in looking for.

Sorry for such a long first post, but, you know how salesmen are!

OMEGA5
02-12-2005, 15:51
GOLDWING!

g29andy
02-12-2005, 20:20
Been looking at the Road Glides for some time, but ran across a great deal on a barely used K1200LTC, too good to pass up. Cruise, ABS, 6-disc changer, heated seats, heated grips, power windscreen, etc. Very comfortable bike.

Texas T
02-12-2005, 20:52
Originally posted by lovette
Been looking at the Road Glides for some time, but ran across a great deal on a barely used K1200LTC,
Beautiful bike; definitely my #1 choice in a long distance two-up scenario if I had the bucks for one.

Clydeglide
02-13-2005, 06:40
Originally posted by Bullman
I hear that Buell is working on getting the VRod motor in some of their stuff.

That ain't gonna happen.

This is as close to a sport bike as the V-Rod engine is gonna get......

http://static.userland.com/tower2/images/cafeRacers/StreetRod.jpg

:cool:

Clydeglide
02-13-2005, 06:48
Originally posted by Catbird
Speaking of waving....

Maybe where you live but where I am that's not the case. Usually I'm the one that doesn't wave.

An article for those that haven't seen it before.

"The Joy of Motorcycle Riding"
author unknown

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community - a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half helmets - God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, do I hate those guys. I don't wave at them either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180 degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they have got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grandpa, and while your at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys - I don't wave at them either. Why they don't spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color as long as it is red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a Desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on the top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should ever wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave I just keep going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at - those guys with the helmets with loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet - like I'm going to wave back at that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is like a family, a close knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special.

fnfalman
02-14-2005, 11:12
I used to look down my nose at Harleys, but not any more. Life is too short. We're all riders and we need to watch out for each other.

That HD Street Rod is HOT!!! If I were to know about it earlier, I might have gone HD instead of BMW.

H.I.M
02-14-2005, 17:03
You guys are too funny

Let me see.......My Baer is better than your Wilson because......

My glock is better than your SiG because.....

My Chevy is better than your Ford because.....

My Harley is better than your Wing because.....

My (fill in the blank is better than your (fill in the blank) because

Why?....because thats what I own!

Thats the way it is and will always be. My rule is simple....buy what YOU like because it's yours.....it doesn't matter whay anybody else thinks

Ride safe brother...whatever you chose to ride

Jack23
02-14-2005, 17:18
I had to get off a couple of years back but we had a lot of friendly rivalry in my outfit between the rice burners and the oil leakers. There was a saying that would surface now and then: "The good guys ride Hondas and sleep at the Holiday Inn; the bad guys ride Harleys and sleep under the bridge." :cool:

I love the mystique and sound of the Harleys but when it came to putting my money down I always, ALWAYS, went with Honda.

But as in most things, you pays your dollar and you takes your choice. It's a fine ride what ever you choose. ^5

G36pilot
02-21-2005, 10:01
Road King or Honda... kinda sound like a Glock vs. Brand X debate.

Decide which fits your style of riding, budget, maintenance expectations, ergonomics, curb appeal, etc. and go for it.

Road King not a long distance ride? It's not called a Road King for nothing. Accompanied by a '99 HD Ultra, we rode our two up loaded for bear '04 RK from Detroit to New Orleans in 19 hours and wouldn't hesitate to do it again should the need arise.

Personally the Honda 1800 ergos weren't for me. I'd ridden a '85 1200 G'Wing Aspencade with many years of pleasurable two up touring before switching to Harley. I have NO REGRETS for any of my bike purchases.

Try all the tourers and figure out what works for you. The main thing is just to get out and ride!

G36pilot
02-21-2005, 10:22
y

SDS knife guy
02-23-2005, 09:56
I have both. I ride a Road King at work (police officer/12-15k per year) and a GL1800 for play (@13k per year). The road king is an attitude bike and if you have always wanted one nothing else will satisfy you so by all means buy it. If you want an all day, 800lb. sport bike then the GL1800 is the way to go.

I ride my Gold Wing cross country and love it in the twisties. I handles incredibly and is my personal choice.....that's why I spent my money on it.

The HD is a fine piece of butt jewelry and if you are just cruising or want to fit into a certain crowd then it's fine. It's also a capable bike for cross country touring, just not quite as comfortable for the really long hauls.

I usually do 800+ miles a day and up to 1200 miles. And yes I know some of you will gripe that I shouldn't be doing that but I do and with several hundred thousand miles under me I'm not likely to stop because of what someone else thinks.

Problems with each bike;
GL1800-speedo stuck for awhile
overheating if doing 10-12 mph for extended periods
front tire cups if inflation is not maintained religiously
*dealer fixed all but the tire cupping problem and did actually replace the first set of tires free of charge.

HD Road King-parts falling off (pretty often)
Y pipes continually brake
main fuses blow occasionally (w/ added lights)
unbreakable drive belts have broken
left side pipe burns my uniform pants
not available with ABS
*dealer fixed all problems

Bottom line, buy what you want.........if one bike was perfect for everyone there wouldn't be more than one manufacturer with more than one model. It's probably obvious by my post that I prefer the Honda but good grief, life is too short to argue over who has the best/better bike.........lets just ride and have fun.

SDS knife guy
02-23-2005, 10:00
I almost forgot in my rambling............if at all possible take both of them for a ride WITH your wife on the back if that is the way you will be riding. A lot of people have changed their mind about one ride or another after actually riding one.

One last thing, thanks for serving over there. I for one appreciate the sacrifices you and your family are making to keep my family safe here at home.

Look me up if you are ever in Oklahoma and maybe we can go for a ride sometime.

H.I.M
02-23-2005, 15:47
Hey G36.......where at in Detroit are you.....Flint here. As far as distance riding goes, my wife and I spend two weeks each summer on our Ultra traveling where ever the front tire leads.

Ride safe

Dan

Clydeglide
02-24-2005, 09:26
SDS, thank you for your insight into the differences between the Road King and the Gold Wing.

I just don't think it was as fair and unbiased as it could have been.

The RK is your work vehicle. I am sure it is well maintained by your Department and the HD dealer but it is still ridden hard and put away wet.

Jumping curbs and crossing grassy medians is not the strong suit of the RK. I know several FHP Motor Officers who ride the Road King Police bike. They break stuff you would never see on a similiar mileage civilian bike.

One motor officer told me out of the 180 speeding citations he wrote one month more than 150 were for speeds over 80 MPH. Mostly all were chased down from a standing start.

Parts Falling Off?.....I would say true given the nature of its use.

Y pipe breaking?.....See above.

Fuse Problem?.....Find a dealer that can read a wiring diagram and locate shorts.

Unbreakable drive belts?......Never heard of one being unbreakable.

Gold wing overheating?......normal.....at least until they were recalled.

Frame cracking.....A few 'Wings recalled for this. The repair was for the dealer to completely disassemble the bike, send the aluminum frame to a "qualified" local welder along with Honda's detailed instructions (which some engineers couldn't understand)on how to do the repair. This frame should have been replaced, not repaired. If you buy used be sure the bike didn't fall into this recall category. But at least it's a Honda!

As for touring......I'll be glad to provide the name of a good friend that has done many Iron Butt rides including the 50CC.....on his RK.

Bottom line, buy what you want.........

life is too short to argue over who has the best/better bike.........but I had a few minutes this AM.;f

Bullman
02-24-2005, 14:05
I don't think there is much comparison between the Gold Wing and the Road King to start with, they are completely different in every sense of the word other than they are both motorcycles.

SDS, is there anyone in OKC looking to run the BMW police bikes now that there is a dealer there again? I am out in Western OK and a few years ago, I had a mayor who was receptive to the idea and a Chief that liked to spend the money the mayor gave him. But alas.... The mayor approved it for the budget, and then didn't get himself re elected, the next mayor said no way, and even quit buying new patrol cars. Now we get the KHP turnins. Just curious if they were going to try something shaft drive, since it sounds like the "unbreakable" drive belts aren't holding up.

I hear Honda is making the ST1300 in a police package now too.

SDS knife guy
02-26-2005, 19:56
Clyde, you are right that the comparison probably is a little biased.........because I believe the Honda is the better of the two motorcycles.

You are right that the HD is ridden hard at work, and that it is well maintained. You mention jumping curbs and crossing grassy medians. Well, we are prohibited from jumping curbs on the RK because it is unable to to that without causing damage to the undercarriage (unlike the Kawasaki's we used to ride which were quite capable of this and many more punishing acts). As to crossing grassy medians, I don't really see how riding accross soft grass is unduly challenging on a motorcycle but again, you are right that this is not the RK's strong suit. In reference to chasing cars from a stop, probably 98% or more are from a dead stop.

Parts falling off----HD markets this as a police motorcycle capable of performing the given task-no excuse for parts falling off if you market a product to do this specific task.

Y-pipes breaking----see above

Fuses blowing out----see above

Unbreakable drive belts----that is how the HD reps described them to us when they sold our dept. on changing to this particular motorcycle to replace our fleet of Kawasaki's--HD's terminoligy, not ours.

Gold Wing overheating----yep, they did and yep, they recalled them and fixed it. Yep, people still griping about it not being to their satisfaction.....I'm happy with mine.

Frame cracking on the Honda----yep, they had some that did and recalled the rest for inspection. Yep, people still griping about it not being to their satisfaction.....I'm happy with mine.

As for touring, for every RK rider you can name that has ridden umpteen million miles on his HD I'm betting I can find several who have ridden the same on a Honda--mostly because the Honda was designed for long hauls, that is not the fault of the HD, just design differences.

To sum up you are absolutely right and I cannot and will not argue your last two statements:
"Bottom line, buy what you want.........life is too short to argue over who has the best/better bike.........but I had a few minutes this AM."

I had a few minutes this PM..........apparently you believe the HD is the better bike and you spent your hard earned dollars on it, I felt the Honda was better and spent my money on that one.

Lets just ride and have fun.

Bullman,

Bethany PD is riding the BMW but it is the smaller of the police models they offer. I am not very familiar with the BMW's so I don't know the model number. HD offers such a sweet deal to the city that there isn't much chance of OKC trying anything else for a LONG time to come. I know it sounds like I am totally anti-HD but I really am not. I just want a tool that does what I need it to do. I got used to the Kawasaki KZ100P and how well it did what I needed then we got the RK's...two totally different beasties. I would really like to give the HD Dyna a try. It has a higher ground clearance and tighter turning radius in a lighter frame with the same engine. Unfortunately someone making the decisions (who is not in our unit) decided they look "ugly"....my Glock may be ugly too but it is what I carry because I believe it is the best tool for the job I need it to do.

I have seen pictures of the ST1300P that Honda has out but haven't ridden the police model so again, I can't speculate on how it would do. I know their civilian model is a blast to ride.

Send me an e-mail and let me know where you are out in western OK.

Clydeglide
02-26-2005, 20:16
Originally posted by SDS knife guy
..........apparently you believe the HD is the better bike and you spent your hard earned dollars on it, I felt the Honda was better and spent my money on that one.

Lets just ride and have fun.

Nope, I don't think the HD is a better bike. Just not as bad as you make it sound. It's probably not the right tool for the type of patrol that you do.

Yes, I did spend my money on Harleys. I had several and always traded them at the dealer for another every few years. My average depreciation was <$500/year.

I've since gone another direction. There are pictures of our current rides here some where.

Kinda like this.......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/THEMOTORHEAD/COPBUSA.jpg

Let's just ride and have fun. (I love stealing your lines)

OMEGA5
02-27-2005, 08:20
Clyde, is the Police bike yours? Love the paint scheme on it. I'd love to do my 1600 Classic in a similar scheme.

Clydeglide
02-27-2005, 08:40
Originally posted by OMEGA5
Clyde, is the Police bike yours? Love the paint scheme on it. I'd love to do my 1600 Classic in a similar scheme.

No..LOL. Just a little something for the motor LEO's to put on their wish list. Gotta love the slogan it has.

My wife and I do own a pair of Busas however.

SDS knife guy
02-27-2005, 21:00
Clyde, I think we may have just found some common ground!! My partner and I actually looked into buying a sport bike to dedicate to "Beat the Heat" but decided we couldn't devote the kind of money and time to it we both wanted to. I can't read the slogan on the side of that bike, what does it say??

I have the GL1800 and my wife has a CBR1100XX. Who doesn't love going fast??

See you on the road sometime.............

Clydeglide
02-28-2005, 09:07
Originally posted by SDS knife guy
Clyde, I think we may have just found some common ground!! My partner and I actually looked into buying a sport bike to dedicate to "Beat the Heat" but decided we couldn't devote the kind of money and time to it we both wanted to. I can't read the slogan on the side of that bike, what does it say??

I have the GL1800 and my wife has a CBR1100XX. Who doesn't love going fast??

See you on the road sometime.............

Slogan.....To Service...To Protect...To Kill

I wasn't trying to find "uncommon ground" just leveling the field.

AWMP
03-14-2005, 06:54
Well, I went with a 2004 Road King Police Bike, could not pass up the deal, only had 2,031 miles on it. Spent all day Sunday taking it apart. (going to paint later this week locally)
Pictures to follow in a few weeks when the project is done. Thanks for all the input. Both bikes serve a purpose/niche. The road king is the one for me, maybe later a Honda Gold Wing or even a BMW.

RKC2000
03-18-2005, 13:23
I drink American beer, Jim Beam or Jack Daniels and I buy and ride American Iron. I have owned MoPar, Chevy and am considering a Ford truck to replace my K1500. I will NOT be caught behind the seat of a Toyota truck (sweet weeping Jesus on the cross).

Ok, so I have a Glock...but my other gun is Florida made.

I am in Information Technology and see far too many jobs performed 'off shore'....and they are over here in vast numbers as well.

mmsig229
03-19-2005, 14:26
I'd go with the RK. I can't believe the nonsense about Harley's 1920's technology. Since my first Harley (a XLCR, should have kept it)Harley went from the Shovel, to the Evo, and now has the Revolution engine (twin 88), and the Porche water cooled motor in the VR. They've also went from carbs to fuel injection. Looks like updated technology to me!!!If I wanted to ride something which required a reverse gear to get out of a parking spot, I'll take my SUV. Regarding the V twin, if it's so outdated, maybe they should take it out of the Ducati. Someone forgot to tell them it was slow...

VWglocker
03-20-2005, 11:33
I drink American beer, Jim Beam or Jack Daniels and I buy and ride American Iron. I have owned MoPar, Chevy and am considering a Ford truck to replace my K1500.

well bully for you. if there was a black and white 8 inch tv that cost as much as a 42 inch plasma but was made in the USA, would you buy that too?

USPcompact
03-20-2005, 12:45
Originally posted by VWglocker
well bully for you. if there was a black and white 8 inch tv that cost as much as a 42 inch plasma but was made in the USA, would you buy that too?

Only if it had HD plastered on it, and was 10x as loud as anything else out there.

fnfalman
03-21-2005, 08:43
Don't forget to yank all that Jap craps off the American Iron and replace them with American parts before you ride!!! Cheerio!

ghostrider1
03-25-2005, 03:22
its kinda like Tommy lee jones said"get rid of that sissy chrome peice and get yourself a GLOCK" Goldwing sure looks purty and and has all the fancy dodads. Want a rwal bike get a HD

OMEGA5
03-25-2005, 07:58
Yeah, be a real man and get a Harley so you can tow it to rides. That way your trailer is never to far away when it breaks down on you. Or, if you really want to ride instead of being some primadonna, get the Wing. Put 250,000 miles on it and have a bike that's still running strong. Got a friend with an 83 Wing with over 1/4 million miles. Had a compression check done on it last week. Sucker has almost the exact compression ratios as the new specs. He never hesitates to ride.
Just depends on whether it's show or go that you want.;)

Bullman
03-25-2005, 09:34
Originally posted by ghostrider1
its kinda like Tommy lee jones said"get rid of that sissy chrome peice and get yourself a GLOCK" Goldwing sure looks purty and and has all the fancy dodads. Want a rwal bike get a HD

Surely you jest. If you want to quote Tommy Lee Jones there, and use the word "chrome";Q Then you must mean that the harley rides so much better once you hang what the bike costs in chrome on it so it can be "your" bike. I will take fancy doodads over Chrome and noise any day of the week.

Mad Ryan
03-28-2005, 17:13
I love it...

I almost beat the sales guy at the Albany HD dealer for calling me "Unpatriotic" because I honestly told him that I was more interested in the Italian twins than I was in the Buells. I guess I'm (being a veteran) not patriotic for not buying a bike that't not an American product anyways and costs way too much. I have no beef with anyone who rides HD's because I could care less what you ride. Just that you ride. I do have an issue with people calling them,

1) an American bike when the majority of the parts that are crucial to them working such as the Fuel injection, and Suspension, and whatnot are made by companies such as Mikuni and Showa(as in the case of the Buell).

2) a high quality bike because they're not. I grew up around HD's. My dad rode, as did all his friends, and we had them around all the time. I even know why the older HD's dripped oil, which for those who are interested, was a combination of substandard ring seal building crankcase pressure and cheesy aftermarket breether filters and plumbing that wouldn't adequately vent the pressure built up from the blow-by. HD's modern quality control is laughable.

I have a buddy who just bought a Road King and went for the full blown engine treatment so that he could avoid the catastrophic failure of the cams locking up that HD warranties, but they won't warranty anything that's damaged when this happens. He went with aftermarket gear driven cams and high compression pistons and all that. He's got about $30k into the bike and it's still got less HP than my nearly stock 2002 Kawasaki ZX-9R.

I stood around in the dealership one day with my buddy while he was picking up parts and listened to the sales guy try to con me into putting down a deposit on a Buell and agreed to take one for a test ride. The sales guy claimed it would outhandle the japanese sportbikes due to the "Cutting edge" innovations in "Chassis Development" and all that. I was actually somewhat excited at the outset because I'd heard the hype from several people and was pumped to get out and drag my knee on the thing.

In a word... Letdown...

I will say that the Chassis was good, but the perimeter brakes sucked, even after I bedded them in and the 2500 RPM powerband was totally inadequate. My ZX-9 would chew the thing up and spit it out. A clapped out CBR-F2 would chew it up and spit it out. I'm not a Horsepower junkie, but this thing was totally gutless. Way less than 100HP, and the vaunted V-Twin Torque was muted by the short power band. I'm used to liter class sportbikes like my '9 where I have HP and Torque on tap from say 4000 RPM all the way up to 11,000 RPM. I have riding buddies with Italian Twins and bikes like the Superhawk and the RC-51 who have let me ride them extensively and these Twins have power on tap over a wide range of RPMs.

I got back to the dealer and the guy started pushing me to lay down money on a Buell and I flat out told him I'd stick to my ZX-9. He then started telling me how to ride, telling me that I wouldn't need to hit corners with the RPMs screaming and all that. I had had it at that point and informed him that since my bike made tons of HP and Torque I typically hit corners at around 4-5k RPM's and smoothly roll through because otherwise I risk the rear end stepping out. But then, since he obviously had so much experience riding all sorts of bikes he must know this. I then told him I'd probably pick up a Ducati for my next bike because my wife wants one and he came up with the "Unpatriotic" blurb and things went downhill from there.

Were I looking for a touring type rig I'd pick up the new Yamaha FJR 1300. That thing is amazing.

Stop CPR
04-08-2005, 00:21
It is simple.

There are two kinds of Bikers......

Those who ride Harleys, and those who wish they did.

Mad Ryan
04-08-2005, 10:58
Originally posted by Stop CPR
It is simple.

There are two kinds of Bikers......

Those who ride Harleys, and those who wish they did.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll try to remember that next time I pass "rolling roadblock" you know, the HD group rides where they ride in a big long file side by side at about 10-20mph below the speed limit.

Lord knows I lust for a Harley Davidson. I want a bike of questionable reliability, that weighs 700lbs and has 50 screaming eagle horsepower! with springy suspension that I don't have to adjust, in fact I can't adjust, and almost no ground clearance so I have to slow Waaaaaaaay down for corners. In fact, I'm going to take out a second Mortgage on my house, because they cost so dang much, and go buy one right now! ;Q

Bullman
04-08-2005, 12:24
Originally posted by Mad Ryan
BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll try to remember that next time I pass "rolling roadblock" you know, the HD group rides where they ride in a big long file side by side at about 10-20mph below the speed limit.

Lord knows I lust for a Harley Davidson. I want a bike of questionable reliability, that weighs 700lbs and has 50 screaming eagle horsepower! with springy suspension that I don't have to adjust, in fact I can't adjust, and almost no ground clearance so I have to slow Waaaaaaaay down for corners. In fact, I'm going to take out a second Mortgage on my house, because they cost so dang much, and go buy one right now! ;Q

What gets me is the prices that people pay for that sort of performance. They pay those prices for a NAME only, it just floors me.

Mad Ryan
04-08-2005, 14:11
Originally posted by Bullman
What gets me is the prices that people pay for that sort of performance. They pay those prices for a NAME only, it just floors me.

Especially for a bike with an awfull lot of Japanese and other foreign components. In fact, many of the big innovations in HD technology such as fuel injection have been because they went from Kehein (sp?) Carbs (foreign) to Mikuni EFI (I believe they went with Mikuni, I could be wrong, but at any rate, it's not American made)

I mean, c-mon folks... My Kawasaki was assembled in Nebraska from Japanese parts (Thank God!) yet it cost me about a third of what a new "Hog" costs, even after import duties on the parts. Does none of the HD lemmings see what's wrong with this picture?

I'm all for riding whatever bike you want, but if someone wants to bash non-HD bikes or claim that everyone secretly wants a Harley, then sorry, I'll bust your balls. I lust after performance, and not even the buell's come close. Besides, I don't personally know any harley riders (and I know several) who log as many miles as I do on my bike, yet they are always getting stuff done to they're bikes... I ask again, does none of the HD lemmings see what's wrong with this picture?

I think it's something akin to the chest-beating "buy American" guy who stops by work sometimes and drives an American truck. He was bagging on my Nissan because it's the only "Foreign POS" in our employee lot (Small company) so one day he swings by on lunch, glasspacks growling and I say... "Whatcha got under the hood?" and he starts rattling on about his Hemi or somesuch, and pops the hood, and I start looking around under the hood and most of the components I can see say "Made in Mexico" or "Made in _____" (Insert your favorite 3rd world country) Boy, you should have seen this guy turn red when I started hacking on him about driving a Mexican Truck. I then told him that he should come back in about 15 years when his truck is as old as my Nissan and if it still runs like new (Like my Nissan) he can talk all the smack he wants to but till then STFU.

H-D&GLOCK
04-08-2005, 14:32
Yes, I hope to replace my Sportster soon myself. I am also leaning more for a road king, I also believe a wing is something i get when I get even older. If Honda still made the Valkrie Interstate it would be a tougher desicion because that was one motorcycle I really liked. Wish they would put it back in production, but it competeted to much with the wing.

Mad Ryan
04-08-2005, 15:29
Originally posted by H-D&GLOCK
Yes, I hope to replace my Sportster soon myself. I am also leaning more for a road king, I also believe a wing is something i get when I get even older. If Honda still made the Valkrie Interstate it would be a tougher desicion because that was one motorcycle I really liked. Wish they would put it back in production, but it competeted to much with the wing.

I'm telling you... Yamaha FJR 1300 It's comfy, it's got hard bags, and it goes and handles like my ZX-9! They're beautiful too... ;f Function meets Form in perfect harmony...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/mcy/500/05FJR1300_5a.jpg

fnfalman
04-08-2005, 16:08
The new BMW R1200ST. http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/machine/models/model.jsp?model=r1200st

110-HP, 85-lbft of torque, 505-lbs empty weight, sports suspension, hardbag ready. Did I mention the coolest thing? BOXER TWIN ENGINE!!!

Mad Ryan
04-08-2005, 19:20
Originally posted by fnfalman
The new BMW R1200ST. http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/machine/models/model.jsp?model=r1200st

110-HP, 85-lbft of torque, 505-lbs empty weight, sports suspension, hardbag ready. Did I mention the coolest thing? BOXER TWIN ENGINE!!!

Doesn't it require you to sell a kidney on ebay to be able to afford it? You can score an FJR for around $11,000 here, which leaves an awful lot left over for riding gear and whatnot. Nice bike tho... Best looking Beemer in years.

Stop CPR
04-08-2005, 21:52
It sounds like it all comes down to money. If you have the cash, $20,000 or more, you put it down and you buy HD. If you are working for minimum wage and eating cup-o-noodles you buy a Honda.

No try and tell me if you had the cash for either you would buy a Gold Wing.

Mad Ryan
04-08-2005, 22:19
It sounds like it all comes down to money. If you have the cash, $20,000 or more, you put it down and you buy HD. If you are working for minimum wage and eating cup-o-noodles you buy a Honda.

I had the cash, I bought the sportbike I wanted, and a house. ;)

Mad Ryan
04-08-2005, 22:23
Tell ya what, when HD (Buell) makes a bike that will rip down the front straight of willow springs at 178mph (Radar varified) and still brake in time for the first corner, then I'll be interested.

Till then, I'm going to spend wisely, and buy bikes that perform.

Besides, show me a harley that will reliably put out power like this, and I'll take a bow...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid111/p35cd82918d96b3b7532d3fa58ea0e289/f90f83c5.jpg

Bullman
04-09-2005, 05:21

You looked at the price of a new Gold Wing lately???? It isn't any cheaper than a Harley. But I think you get a better value, a motorcycle that performs better, when one buys a Gold Wing, as opposed to say a Ultraglide or in the case of this thread title a Road King. Harley's are fine motorcycles, but I think people pay way too much money for what they get. You get what you pay for with a Honda. I wouldn't mind having a Road King, if I was going to have a Harley, that is what I would have, but before I laid down that sort of dough for a bike, I would strongly consider and end up buying a Wing, or an ST1300, if I was going to continue to do distance riding.

AWMP
04-09-2005, 08:23
Ok guys it looks like a hurricane was started with a simple question.
I bought a 2004 Police Road King with a little more than 2300 miles on it. I paid less than $13,500.00 for it. It is in perfect condition and runs great. Heck still had factory warranty left on it.
I have since taken the parts off and gotten it painted to match my Dodge truck (atlantic blue). Hopefully putting it back together this week or next if work allows.
I bought the road king for several reasons.
-It was cheaper (I know that has never been said with Harley in the same conversation, but could not find a Gold Wing close to that price range)
-90% of my riding is in town, (wanting to change that but again work calls, you know the deal)
-I like the styling and feel of the bike, this is my second road king
-If this bike is as reliable as my first road king I will be very happy (never had a problem with any of the last 4 Harleys I have had [luck maybe, keeping up with the maint is a good part of it as well].
-my wife sees a goldwing like a mini van, comfortable and nice but just for the older crowd. (don't bash me too hard on that statement, my next bike will more than likely be a road king, lol)

Pictures of before and after to follow in a week or so. Take care

Bullman
04-09-2005, 09:10
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on the Road King, and if you are happy, I don't know why I shouldn't be:) after all, your the one in charge of pleasing your own self.

Harley dealers make a killing on those police bikes, and that is why so many PD's end up with Harleys. I have heard(probably already posted it here) that if your PD buys one HD and rides it for about 12 to 18 months, you can trade it in, pay the dealer a small amount ( I have heard anywhere from a buck to $500) to change out your emergency equipment and he then sells your old bike to someone such as your self for premium used bike price and he has now sold that bike twice. sounds like a good deal to me. I don't know how much they are paying for police bikes from HD, so I dont know for sure how much profit is in it, or how good a deal it is, but it is great for the PD's that ride Harleys.

H-D&GLOCK
04-09-2005, 11:04
Originally posted by Mad Ryan
I'm telling you... Yamaha FJR 1300 It's comfy, it's got hard bags, and it goes and handles like my ZX-9! They're beautiful too... ;f Function meets Form in perfect harmony...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/mcy/500/05FJR1300_5a.jpg

Yes, that is a sweet looking Yamaha, I had one of their 650xl's for years. but that one is to bent over on the ride for my back. need to sit up when i ride.

Stop CPR
04-09-2005, 12:45
See you all at Sturgis.

Bullwinkle J Moose
04-10-2005, 11:34
Originally posted by fireslayer23
If you want reverse, a cb and a navigational system you should get an RV.
Those Gold Wings pulling trailers ARE RVs. ;f