Pet insurance??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pet insurance???

scowan007
08-21-2004, 18:14
Anyone have it? Opinions? Know what to look for as far as reputable companies?

Thanks!!

sc

Dandapani
08-21-2004, 20:05
Please, no! Pet insurance will only cause the escalation of vet prices just like it did for medicine in general...

ATL Peach Girl
08-22-2004, 03:26
The siamese cat I just rescued came with 2 months of free "insurance" given to pets who are adopted from shelters........(it's called "shelter care".... www.ShelterCare.com )

if you want to continue with the insurance after 2 months it is like 10 bucks a month, and it covers stuff like uninary infections, respitory infections and stuff like that up to 500 dollars per incident. I am not sure I will continue with it.

I joined Petsmart's Banfield Hospital "wellness" program and I am not sure that is a good thing either because I am now stuck in a 1 year contract at 27 bucks a month. It covers yearly vaccines, yearly teeth cleaning, and a host of blood work each year. It's a bank draft. It just seems they nickle and dime you to death, over and above of what the plan covers. Grrr!!!

I liked the hosptial where Joshua went to and died at. It was the biggest pet hosptial here in Atlanta with about 10 vets, and they were good, but their prices were sky high. Banfield's are high too....way too damned high.

I just need to marry a vet!!! Sheeeeesh!!!!!!

I think vet insurance is a good thing......

Have you done a search online for all the vet insurance companies???

Check here......and do quotes on what it will cost you at each:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=pet+insurance&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&cop=mss&tab=

Petra
08-22-2004, 12:08
I have to disagree with you about the Banfield wellness plan. (Nope. I don't work for them. Just spend a lot of time there.) We have all 3 of our dogs on wellness plans, otherwise we couldn't afford them. I believe we pay about $20 a month per dog. We just took in our little girl for her annual check up, blood work, vaccinations, and teeth cleaning. Bill came to $507, but it was all covered on the wellness plan so we paid $0. She also had to have surgery last year for bladder stones. Got a good discount on that too. Unfortunately the place was flooded when this same dog decided to electrocute herself a few years ago. That cost us $800 at the emergency vet. Gotta love that little girl.

Mark

Bill73
08-22-2004, 15:13
http://www.petinsurance.com/ is Veterinary Pet Insurance Co.
You fill out an application online to get a quote. It depends on the breed, age, vet records, etc.

Our daughter has had this for years and is satisfied. Earlier this year she had almost $3,000 of operations on her dog. The insurance paid the max of the policy (don't know what that was). She happened to be unemployed at the time. The Vet refered her to a credit outfit that is just for times like this with pets. The higher the amount put on the account the lower the interest and the longer time to clear the account. Luckily she got a better job than the last. As for as I know she has paid the account in full with little interest accruing.

I wish we had gotten insurance when we adopted Cassie as we have had several hundred dollars expense. When I ask the Vet if he could suggest a company he said they didn't "except" insurance. You pay the bill and submit the claim, just like my dentist and others. They don't want to wait, sometimes a month, for payment. His front desk person gave me a pamplet on the above company, saying a lot of their customers used it.

Maybe this helps.

Jeep274
08-23-2004, 11:31
We have the Veterinary Pet Insurance Co. policy for our lab. Got it when he was a pup. For us it is a couple hundred dollars a year and well worth it for the peace of mind. Our last dog cost us a couple thousand dollars before they diagnosed her cancer and I don't want that again. I just submitted our first claim on the policy and will post the results when I hear from the company. They have been very friendly and professional anytime I call. Their policy also registers your dog with a National lost & found 800 number.

Bill73
08-23-2004, 11:36
Like I said above, our daughter's experience has been very satisfactory with Pet Ins. Co. I'm applying this afternoon to get a price.

Jeep274
08-23-2004, 12:09
Originally posted by Bill73
Like I said above, our daughter's experience has been very satisfactory with Pet Ins. Co. I'm applying this afternoon to get a price.

Glad to hear it Bill. I don't know anyone else with it so it is good to hear your daughter has had a positive experience with them.

Bill73
08-23-2004, 13:34
Cassie was excepted as a 5 year old German Shepherd after I listed her recent treatments at our Vet. Yearly projected cost for the VPI Superior Plan, $405. Would have been more if monthly with the $2.00 per payment service charge. Policy will be effective 2 weeks after issue of policy and receipt of payment (I put it on a CC).

We now wait the Undrwriting Dept. review. They may request info from the vet. The final premium amount may change, or endorsements added, after Und. Rev.

Their home page will allow one to view the payment schedule if anyone is interested. Looks better than nothing.

scowan007
08-23-2004, 13:58
Thanks all, Good info.
Looks like VPI and PetCare are the biggies (Peach, Petcare is the same co as Sheltercare). After spending thousands on dogs with cancer and other assorted nasty things, I'm thinking I need something. The VPI plan will cover annual exams and such and the Petcare doesn't. The coverage amounts are very low, though. For example, the max annual benefit for a physical is $10. Also, if I read correctly the VPI has annual and lifetime caps and the Petcare doesn't

IIRC both have $50.00 per visit deductible
The Quickcare gold 70% coverage is probably what I'll go with. QC gold 100% is 37.95, 70% is 26.95, VPI is 27.95 a month.

The breed I'm getting is not listed in either co's plan, but is basically a mastiff type breed and they charge extra premium for them.

scowan007
08-23-2004, 14:08
Just got off the phone with PetCare, they consider the Boerboel a bulldog type breed (which they do consider a select breed and charge extra for), but they do not consider it as one of their select breeds. So, now - 70% - 19.95, 100% - 29.95.

Jeep274
09-15-2004, 12:59
Well, I just received a check in the mail yesterday from Veterinary Pet Insurance for our claim on Kody. The total charges submitted were $224 which included visit, xrays, medication and lab work. The check was for $119 and I am one very happy person. There is a $50 deductible and the medications are not covered. I received the check about 3 weeks after submitting the claim too.

Bill73
10-09-2004, 15:44
Originally posted by scowan007
Just got off the phone with PetCare, they consider the Boerboel a bulldog type breed (which they do consider a select breed and charge extra for), but they do not consider it as one of their select breeds. So, now - 70% - 19.95, 100% - 29.95.

After tooling around the various companies getting quotes and comparing coverage we went with PetCare on our GSD. $323.40 a year for 70% coverage. We took to long in our descion making as Cassie started to limp during long walks, favoring her left front leg.

X-rays and medication $171. She needs micro surgey on her elbow to clean the bone chips and any other repair. Next is a trip to the selected surgeon for an MRI to really determine what needs to be done and them the surgey, ball park of $1200. She is estimated to be 5 years old.

Live and learn!