Supplements [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Supplements

walangkatapat
08-22-2004, 09:39
How about a list of supplements? What works? What doesn't? How long did you use them? Side affects? Are they a con?

walangkatapat
08-22-2004, 19:23
Don't some of you take supplements?

ateamer
08-22-2004, 19:46
Protein powder. I prefer Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey - affordable, tastes good, mixes with a spoon, excellent reputation for high quality and meeting the label claims. I would say that protein is the most important supplement. It is difficult for most weight trainers, especially people like powerlifters or competitive bodybuilders, to get sufficient protein from whole foods (1+ grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day).

Creatine. I'm not real up on what brand is the best, but Max Muscle seems to work well. If you take creatine, it is important to hydrate - you will get cramps if you don't increase water intake.

I use Costco megapack vitamins. For my joints, I use glucosamine and MSM; they both work very well and are well-accepted.

When I work out, I drink a mix of glucose polymers (basically granulated corn starch - Max Muscle Carbo Max) and Gatorade to keep energy up, hydrate and replace electrolytes.

Back in the 80s and early 90s, I tried smilax (worthless), gamma oryzanyl (worthless) and took up to 40 or 50 dessicated liver tablets a day. I think the liver may have helped deliver some protein and there are studies indicating it increases the body's endurance, but the gas it gave me would have negated any benefits if I had a love life back then. (I didn't care if I stunk up the gym - I hate those chrome-plated fern bar places anyway.)

I have never taken steroids, growth hormone or prohormones. If you decide to, do your research and learn everything you can about them. A lot, if not all, of the prohormones are worthless. Steroids can have side effects and, if nothing else, it makes sense to know how to use them properly because they are expensive and there is a lot of bogus stuff out there. Also, when it comes to drugs, make sure the person giving the advice knows what they are talking about and isn't just spouting old wives' tales or anecdotes unsupported by facts.

c5367
08-23-2004, 20:28
As far as supplements go, protein, creatine and multivitamins are pretty much staples. You won't go wrong just used these and having a good diet. The prohormones are pretty much a waste of money, most scientific studies that aren't bought by the supplement companies prove that point.

walangkatapat
08-23-2004, 21:27
Great info.

California Jack
08-24-2004, 01:51
In agreement with above, protein powder and a good multi-vitamin(additional magnesium may be helpful). As for others, save your money and use it for good food.

KraziGlocker
08-24-2004, 15:45
yea...those are supplements...but if youre lookin for some real strength and mass gaining supplements...ive tried a couple...i recently went thru a 5 week cycle of 1-ad and when i went off i took a 3 week cycle of 3-0x0(estrogen inhibiter/test regenerator) This stuff was absolutely crazy for me...it is a prohormone and DOES have side effects...loss of libido and hunger were the two side effects that hit me the hardest...others have mentioned acne and hair loss....overall i gained about 12lbs (lost 3 of those since i been off a month now) and strength went extremely high...was incline benching 185 for 8 reps went to 205 for 8 reps...kept 90% of the strength gains...another good supplement i took in the past was NO@ from MRI combined with creatine..that was a great combo too and no stupid side effects...ne questions..pm me

saint01
08-25-2004, 09:01
being a competitor in "Ohio Natural Bodybuilding Federation" (ONBF) www.onbf.org, I can't personally speak about prohormones on my own experience. The ONBF and the INBF have them on their banned substances list. I can say that I have a number of friends that have used them, and unless you are trying to compete in a competition that is not natural (NPC is huge in cincinnati), then taking them is next to worthless. Yes, you will get good results, and they are not that expensive, BUT because they act in a similar fashion to steroids, there will be both side affects and loss of muscle at the end of the cycle (oh, and if you take them, you HAVE TO take an estrogen blocker at the end of the cycle, preferably starting the last 10 days...use Ergopharma's 6-OXO).

As far as other supplements, there are so many to list, that I would be typing for hours. I will list a few.

CREATINE:
- creatine hit the market hard in 1994 with creatine monohydrate. Creatine is an amino acid and is produced in the body in the form of arginine, glycine, and methionine. You can find small amounts of creatine in lean beef, such as steak, but not enough to have a major impact.
1. Creatine Monohydrate:
- 100% pure. It is a white powder which is basically tasteless and odorless.
- A good product, but will cause you to retain water and a great deal of it is wasted by your system because it cannot fully absorb it.

2. Creatine + Sugar:
- A 1996 study showed that ingesting a carbohydrate solution with creatine promoted a 60 percent greater increase in total creatine concentrations in the muscle, compared with taking creatine alone/
- This works much better than 100% straight creatine, but should be taken POST workout, as that is when your body is craving the carb's, and thus will take in more of the creatine mixed with the carbs.
- examples: CellTech, Gatorade + 100% creatine monohydrate, EAS Betagen HP, EAS Phospogen (which is worthless)

3. Creatine + CVT (use this one!!!):
- This is the newest method. It takes away all the need for sugar and carbs with the CVT.
- Basically, the difference is the Tricreatine Malate in these. The TM, as we will call it, is a hydrosoluble stable organic creatine salt that basically is a better way of getting the creatine into your system than the more traditional way of lots of sugars and lots of carbs.
- examples: San V12, Swole V2 (both are very good)

PROTEIN:
- there are so many different proteins on the market, that I would never even attempt to talk about them all. Thus, I will just post what I use.

ISS Research Whey Matrix + Syntrax Nectar:
- I can't stand the taste of most protein. It tastes so chalky. The ISS is no different. It is cheap, 76 servings of 24 grms for $24.
- I love the taste of Syntrax Nectar, but it is more expensive. It has 36 servings of 24grams for $24.
- THUS, what I do is mix one scoop of each together. The taste is GREAT!!!! I would recommend this to anyone.
- Nectar Flavors: Apple and Lemonaide are my favorite, but I have heard that they are all great.

I have used steroids in the past and can comment on them, but will wait to see if there is a need to. As of this point in my life, I do not use them and do not believe in them. We kicked a guy out of our lifting group for using.

Any other info that you would like, I would be more than happy to comment on, but I am certainly not the formost expert on them, but have learned quite a lot about lifting over the years.

FreakyBig
09-03-2004, 22:11
I wouldnt waste money on anything but multi-vitamins protein powder, MRPs, and protein bars. Save the $ for quality foods and the unmentioned supplements. I dont think this is the message board to be talking about them though.

BCR
09-06-2004, 20:14
Other than vitamins and protein powders I don't waste my $ on anything else. I've done creatine, prohormones and glutamine at times in the past. Creatine seemed to make a difference for a while but when I cycled off it and then went back on a month later I didn't see any results.

The only thing that really made a difference was eating a lot of extra calories and protein. Just when I thought I had maxed out (in terms of size) I decided to avoid all supplements except protein powders and eat like crazy. I gained about 8 pounds(of mass, not fat)and my strength improved, above all of my previous gains.

Your body needs protein and calories if you want to grow. But I would suggest trying creatine, it does seem to work for a lot of people. Just don't be fooled when you gain 10 pounds in a week, cuz it's just your body retaining water. And drink plenty of extra water while taking creatine to avoid dehydration.

California Jack
09-06-2004, 20:26
ateamer,

I hate those chrome-plated fern bar places anyway.)

If I didn't know better I'd think you wre a Brooks Kubik-style dinosaur rather than a Westsider.:)

Jack

ateamer
09-06-2004, 22:02
I don't train like Kubik, but would get along very well with him, Paul Kelso and Ken Leistner. Westside isn't exactly a chrome palace, either. Have you seen the pictures? Bare walls (the only photos on the walls are the late, great Matt Dimel - Westside's first 1,000 pound squatter - and Bill West - founder of the original Westside in California, back in the early 60s) blacked-out windows and nothing but functional strengthbuilding equipment. I am pretty intense and hardcore, but not sure if I could hang with Louie's crew. They are always taking it up one level.

theHULK9281
09-07-2004, 18:42
As aforementioned, protein powder and a good multi-vit is all you really need. I would save the rest of your money on healthy/nutritious foods like....

chicken
tuna
eggs
salomon
lean turkey
lean beef
cottage cheese
skim milk

oatmeal
brown rice
kidney beans
lentils
wheat bread
bran cereals
pasta
fibrous veggies
strawberries
apples

peanut butter
almonds/nuts

Supplements are only to aid in your goals. First and foremost, diet must be sound........no matter how may supps you take, if you have a poor diet, you will not see any benefits.

Also, PH do work and are safe if taken properly....The only real trouble you'll get with them is if you abuse them (like any drug). An anti-estrogen must be taken post cycle to recover natural test. Also, taking some extra precautions like some liver support pills (NAC, milk thistle, etc.) will be a benefit. That being said, PH and/or steroids are not for a novice. Do research before doing any such stuff.

45acp4me
09-08-2004, 11:30
I just try to take in another 50 to 75 grams of protein on my workout days and keep my meals well rounded. I'll take one multivitamin a day as well.

Designer Whey, Syntrax Nectar, and Optimal Nutrition are my favorites. You'll get much more out of it if you have a small snack with your shake right after a workout. Your body needs carbs and sugars to allow the protein to work. Listen to HULK9281, the food you take in is the most important.

Creatine works fine for most, but it didn't synch up with my system very well so I now only use it to prevent hangovers on heavy drinking nights. :)

Cheers!
Glen

walangkatapat
09-10-2004, 19:50
Thanks.

Glock13
09-29-2004, 15:50
Originally posted by ateamer
Protein powder. I prefer Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey - affordable, tastes good, mixes with a spoon, excellent reputation for high quality and meeting the label claims. I would say that protein is the most important supplement.

Good advice. Optimum is very good. I prefer the chocolate--it tastes pretty close to chocolate milk. Cheap and also easily accessible.

walangkatapat
10-02-2004, 21:44
What is it with brown rice over white rice?

diamondmike
10-13-2004, 12:19
I am 44 years old and have been pumping iron 6 hours a day 6 days a week for probably the last 30 years, I mean when I first started out I only did a half hour a day and after about 10 years got it up to 6 hours a day and still stay at 6 hours a day.

I have tried all the supplements from GNC etc. and found out by accident because I ran out of money for a week and could not afford them I started taking just Centrum Vitamins and did not find any drop in energy.

I know this sounds really gross to alot of people but I started eating raw meat and I noticed a whole lot more muscle development, I asked my doctor if it was ok to eat raw meat and he said as long as it is fresh.
He said you are getting more muscle from eating raw meat because it is a safe way to take in steroids that is in the meat and if you cook it you burn up the steroids.

I also found out by drinking 4 raw eggs in the morning that I was getting not only plenty of protein but alot more energy.

I bet if you take your measurements today and start eating raw meat ( beef tenderloin ) in just one month and take your measurements you will find more muscle gain in the arm muscles and legs especially.

Glock13
10-13-2004, 14:53
Originally posted by diamondmike
I am 44 years old and have been pumping iron 6 hours a day 6 days a week for probably the last 30 years, I mean when I first started out I only did a half hour a day and after about 10 years got it up to 6 hours a day and still stay at 6 hours a day.

I have tried all the supplements from GNC etc. and found out by accident because I ran out of money for a week and could not afford them I started taking just Centrum Vitamins and did not find any drop in energy.

I know this sounds really gross to alot of people but I started eating raw meat and I noticed a whole lot more muscle development, I asked my doctor if it was ok to eat raw meat and he said as long as it is fresh.
He said you are getting more muscle from eating raw meat because it is a safe way to take in steroids that is in the meat and if you cook it you burn up the steroids.

I also found out by drinking 4 raw eggs in the morning that I was getting not only plenty of protein but alot more energy.

I bet if you take your measurements today and start eating raw meat ( beef tenderloin ) in just one month and take your measurements you will find more muscle gain in the arm muscles and legs especially.

You're kidding right?

diamondmike
10-13-2004, 15:31
I guess you are probably thinking about the part about the raw meat? I AM NOT KIDDING!

My dad was into body building and he followed and read alot of Jack Lalane books on body building, for anyone who does not know who Jack Lalane is he was and still is a famous body builder probably around his 80s or 90s anyway he swam across the english channel pulling a ship tied to his back.

In his books he said to eat raw meat so my dad did and I just followed.
What I can not believe and this is gross that Jack Lalane would go to a slaughter house and buy the blood from the cattle and drink it by the glass full.

Raw meat is safe if you buy it from a butcher shop that you can trust, BUT NEVER! eat pork raw because you can get what is called a tape worm.

You start eating raw meat and I can promise you that you will see muscle gain, but you have to start out eating just a little at a time and just every once in awhile.
I will sit down and eat a pound of raw beef tenderloin and actually enjoy the flavor and no it does not taste like blood.

diamondmike
10-13-2004, 15:52
CORRECTION

Jack Lalane swam across the english channel with a large boat tied to his back not a ship.

You can go to any library and find his books and he swears by the eating of raw meat, and it really does build muscle.

You try it and you will see what I mean.

AGAIN do not eat raw pork or poultry.

California Jack
10-13-2004, 16:56
I've always believed that raw meat was a natural way to get creatine. Are we sure it's not a creatine effect?

I think the "You're kidding" comment is directed at lifting 6 hours per day 6 days per week.

Glock13
10-13-2004, 17:12
Originally posted by California Jack
I think the "You're kidding" comment is directed at lifting 6 hours per day 6 days per week.

Yeah. That's what I was talking about. Were you kidding about the 6 hours part?

LaLane stopped the drinking blood thing after he choked on a blood clot and nearly killed himself.

diamondmike
10-13-2004, 18:30
I know that one of the reasons that raw meat builds muscle is not only from what my dad has told me down through the years but my doctor also, and that is they inject steroids into cattle to make them grow bigger, stronger, in a faster time period.
The steroids go threw out the cows system and into the meat that is sold, if the meat is not cooked the steroids stay somewhat active and works on the human body much like it did the cows building muscle.

As far as 6 hours a day weight lifting goes.
You get a high from weight lifting and just like any drug that gives you a high if done over years you develop a tolerance once you get a tolerance you have to keep doing more than you did when you first started to get the same high.
I do not run but running also gives a person a high and they need to run farther and farther to acheive the same high as they did when they first started.

Six hours a day may sound like alot to someone that has not done 30 years of lifting but you can call any jym and ask to talk to a trainer and he will tell you that it is not uncommon to have guys do 6-8 hours a day.
Professional body builders do 8-12 hours a day on average.

When someone does 6 hours a day that does not mean that they constantly are lifting, its broke up into sets over a 6 hour period.

California Jack
10-13-2004, 19:19

Maybe, but they definetly aren't clean.

California Jack
10-13-2004, 19:24
Oh yeah, one more thing, Louie Simmons says training should be done in less than an hour.

I think I'll listen to Louie instead of some Personal Trainer that hangs out in a Fitness Center.

diamondmike
10-13-2004, 20:10
There are different reasons people workout also.

There is therapeutic, like where someone had a stroke or a car accident and need to regain their use of motion.

There are people that workout just enough to keep weight off or lose weight.

The top two reasons can be accomplished within a 1 hour workout.

If you weight lift to really break the muscles threw it will require more than a 1 hour workout, you would form some muscle tone but they are not going to bulge with only a 1 hour workout.
And once you get them bulging it requires a everyday workout to keep them at their peak.
If I do not do my workout everyday I have a guilt feeling about myself I guess its like somekind of withdraw syndrome,I know if I start skipping its all over.

When a person decides to lift weights it has to be done on a regular basis to get any results.

saint01
10-14-2004, 07:23
6 hours per day is quite a lot. It would almost seem counter productive to be in there that much, and I am an experienced bodybuilder. I guess if it works for you, more power to you.

The only question that I have is this. Are you on wellfare? I am not trying to be a jerk, but I work 10 hours per day, spend 40 minutes in the morning doing cardio and 1.5 - 2 hours per night lifting, and could not imagine where another 6 hours to lift would come from. Even if you worked a normal 8 - 5 job, you would be in the gym till midnight. I know that if you are not on the IFBB tour that you aren't making any real money at shows, so if you don't mind me asking, how is it that you survive?

diamondmike
10-14-2004, 08:48
saintO1

Wefare could not even pay for the raw meat that I eat much less the guns that I purchase.

I get up 5:30AM drink 4 raw eggs start my workout by 6AM and am done by 10AM, I just got out of the shower a few minutes ago, tonight about 11PM I will knock off the last two hours.

I sell fine jewelry and just one major sale can keep me riding for a week or two, when I am on glock talk I float around to about 3 different computers during the day because I get all over town during the course of a day.

I have never entered a body building show or anything like that, and its not about getting big and strong and thinking I can beat everyones A..
Its all about feeling good about myself with me!

saint01
10-14-2004, 09:13
thanks for clearing that up. The only question that I have left is sleep. One of the most important aspects in building muscle is sleep. The pros sleep between 10 and 12 horus per day, because that is the primary time when the body is in fact building the muscle. According to your schedule, you are averaging about 4 hours of sleep per night. I understand that you may not be a person that needs that much sleep, but that is almost counter productive.

Whether you are a bodybuilder or not, and whether you require a lot of sleep per night or not, you still should be getting at least 6 hours of sleep per night. If it works for you, that is great, but I would caution other people to be weary of this type of schedule as it would burn most people out in about 2 weeks.

I have never entered a body building show or anything like that, and its not about getting big and strong and thinking I can beat everyones A..

I certainly hope that you don't have this view of all "bodybuilders". The fact of the matter is that I haven't worried about beating people up since high school and that has nothing to do with my dedication to lifting. For me, it is about making my body look the best that it possibly can, but in a safe and productive way. I do not use steroids and only compete in Natural Bodybuilding contests, which if you read about, the banned substances that they test for is extremely inculsive (no ephedrane, prohormones, etc etc etc). I personally prefer to be bigger and stronger and obviously you do as well, or you wouldn't be spending 6 hours a day in the gym.

Other than I do not believe you get enough sleep, cudos to you for your dedication to health and looking good. Best of luck to you and you should think about doing a show.

diamondmike
10-14-2004, 09:23
saintO1

I know that I do not get the sleep that I should but I wake up and have plenty energy and feel really good so I dont worry about it!.

What I meant about beating people up is that alot of people think that we lift weights to be big and bad, and your right that is not what its all about.

But I have relatives that say things to me like " all the muscles you have I bet you could take out Mike Tyson "
They just dont get it!

Alot of people think that muscles is all that is required to win a fight but we know thats not always true!

Medpilot 2
10-14-2004, 09:44
Good info guys.

I've hit a platoe over the past few years at 5'8" and 180lbs 11% BF.

I think I'll give that raw egg/meat thing a try. Do you drink the whole egg or just the whites?

diamondmike
10-14-2004, 10:37
Medpilot 2

I just break open one egg at a time and drop it into a coffee cup and drink the whole thing, the yellow part is where all the protein is.
The last time I heard a egg has more protein in it than anything else on this planet, they use the egg as a method to measure and compare other things of protein to.
Almost all of those high protein shakes etc. that are very expensive use dryed up egg powder as their main ingredent.

VERY IMPORTANT! look your eggs over really good and NEVER swallow a raw egg that has a crack in the shell or that has been left sitting out broke open.
When I buy my eggs I look them over so close for cracks and thin spots that the people in the stores must think that I am nuts like I have never seen a egg before but I do not care what they think if I find a egg that has a crack or thin spot on it I just take it out and change it with a different carton.

As we all know in order to build muscle we must first put on weight to turn into muscle, I have found by accident if you drink alot of A&W rootbeer it really pours on the weight at least for me!.

Also I know that I am going to spell this word wrong but eggs have colesertal ( bad stuff ) in them, it is a fact that alcohol will dialate your blood vessels so what I do on the one day that I take off from working out is sit down with a 12 pack of Bud.
That helps prevent anykind of colesertal ( bad stuff ) from building up in the blood.

saint01
10-14-2004, 13:10
While the risk of getting salmonella is only 1 in 30,000, there are still other ways to get the protein into your system. If you are ok with that risk and don't mind the taste and sensation, go for it! If you must do it, I would recommend reading this page first...

http://www.mercola.com/2002/nov/13/eggs.htm

The only other thing that I would like to add is about the alcohol. Drinking a 12 pack of Bud once per week is (a) not going to help your cholesterol that much, and (b) is mainly just consuming wasted calories. Notice that I did not say carbs, but calories. One can of Budweiser contains 145 calories, so if you consume all 12, then you just added 1740 calories, not to mention all of the barley and the 127.2 carbs that you took in. That, in my opinion, is backtracking away from all those hours you put in the gym.

This is just my opinion, but what I would recommend is a glass of wine. It has been proven that one glass of red wine per day is not only healthy for the heart, but helps to thin the blood and keep cholesterol low. This solution is a little more expensive, but if you are consuming all this raw meat, a few extra bucks per week certainly is not going to hurt the budget. If you want to read up a little more on this, take a look at this page and I am certain that you all can search google and get plenty of hits.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/09/030909070840.htm

Good luck with your new diet Medpilot 2, and be safe and healthy!

Medpilot 2
10-14-2004, 13:12
Okay, 2 more questions.

I find my workouts to be a little more productive if I have light carbs for breakfast (oatmeal bar or some fruit) rather than some protein. Protein seems to just sit in my stomach and can give me a weighed down feeling. (I only workout in the mornings)

Comments to this?

Also, the A&W root beer. Was that good weight or bad weight? With all that sugar, I would assume it was bad weight (fat).

saint01,

Thanks for the links. I figure I'll try anything once as long as it sounds relatively safe.

saint01
10-14-2004, 14:26
Carbs certainly are the food that gives you all of your energy. Since I try to say away from sugar all together, I usually start my day off with a protein bar with 20grams of carbs in it, or some egg whites and some oatmeal with sweet n low in it. That should fuel you much better.

Also, when it comes to protein, whey protein is a protein that the body can digest the quickest. About 45 minutes before my evening workout, I usually take in about 15 carbs and 45 - 50 grams of whey protien in a shake. Post workout is the most important time to eat. Your body will be empty of all vital nutrients, so make sure to take in "good" carbs, and protein, as well as a vegetable. You cannot build muscle without nutrients, and this is the most important time of the day to take them in.

KraziGlocker
10-14-2004, 17:44
lol...working out 6 hrs a day six hours a week sounds totally counterproductive...can u tell me ur stats and measurements...i mean please....proffesional bodybuilders will work out twice a day for a total of bout 3 hrs and these guys are taking the best drugs u can buy...ive heard of extreme but u must be addicted to working out....if you are working out correctly you should be dead tired after the first hour and half...dont give out your stupid tips to the people on this forum trying to actually learn a thing or two about bodybuilding/fitness.... if you ever post ur thread up on a real bodybuilding forum...you will be laughed off the forum you weirdo

diamondmike
10-14-2004, 18:12
KraziGlocker

After reading your post I have just thought of a tip especially for you! Go piss up a rope!

I come over here trying to give what ever help that I can and no one said you must do or try anything I suggest, in fact I NEVER suggested for anyone to due or try anything from my very first post I stated what I did and if I was asked a question about how to do it I replyed back.

I know what has worked for me over the past 30 years of lifting weights and I am very pleased with the results I got from the use of the stupid tips as you call them.

I am done with posting on the Health and Fitness Forum

Glock13
10-14-2004, 18:18
diamondmike,

Can you post a pic of yourself?

California Jack
10-14-2004, 20:12
I've hit a platoe over the past few years at 5'8" and 180lbs 11% BF.

If you're trying to get bigger, you don't need a magic bullet like raw eggs to accomplish it. Just try eating more. I promise, it will work.

Jack

Medpilot 2
10-15-2004, 10:12
Originally posted by California Jack
If you're trying to get bigger, you don't need a magic bullet like raw eggs to accomplish it. Just try eating more. I promise, it will work.

Jack

Oh, I know eating more will put on more weight. I seem to always put on more fat at the same time I gain lean muscle mass. I just wanted to see the effects of this raw egg/meat diet. I'm experimenting more than anything. :)

I'll post my results in a month or two. ;c

Medpilot 2
10-15-2004, 10:16
Here's a pic left over from a modeling shoot I did about a year ago just for reference.

California Jack
10-15-2004, 11:35
Medpilot,

Good luck with your expirement. Please keep us posted.

I've always accepted some fat gain to increase muscle size. So I cycle weight gain with increased cardio to burn fat. Kinda a 3 steps forward 2 steps back kinda thing.

You may want to check out "The Anabolic Solution for Bodybuilders" by Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale. Here's a link to this book...

http://www.mdplusstore.com/viewitem.asp?idproduct=203

I believe his approach is generally accepted, and not thought of as quackery.

Good luck,
Jack

Medpilot 2
10-15-2004, 19:41
Thanks Cali Jack. :)

Kacer
12-15-2004, 20:52
Thing is, there is ONE thing that 99% of Americans (heck, western society) is deficient of - that is:

OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS!

20% are "Crittically Deficient"

20% of Americans suffer from auto-immune diseases.

Coincidence? Perhaphs, BUT since MANY people w/auto-immune diseases are ALSO "critically deficient" and from the 7 years of research _I_ have done... and since that DID "cure" MY MS (Multiple Sclerosis) I think not.

My suggestion is to go to "Google" and type in:

"omega 3" abstract (and whatever disease, disorder, health problem)

And see what "turns up" I believe you'll be blown away.

I'm writing a book. FWIW titled: "The Human Body:An Owner's Manual"

Mostly it will highlight natural foods that contain: (whatever) with an optional "supplement" w/a suggested dose/day or /week.

I've learned SO MUCH in the past 6-7 years (how long I've had MS) FWIW, the docs told me I'd NEVER see better than 20/1000 out of my right eye. And, per standard, known disease process, they were correct - BUT It is now 20/40 - so, I know what I'm talking about.

Q's? Ask - IMO, you are my "people" (well, part of my "people" anyway ;) If I don't know, I'll figure it out. Won't take that long I've become quite adept at this "research" stuff ;)

Hope this helps someone! (Wish I had seen this topic sooner too! I was looking up "costco" and this was one of the topics that appeared. ;)

Also Omega 3's and octacosanol will BOTH help tremendously w/regard to "muscle strength/mass" (Also, oddly enough the 2 main components that made my MS "all better". Helps w/energy/strength too.

younggenious
12-18-2004, 17:41
Take high quality Cod Liver Oil. Yes, it tastes bad, but it is extremely healthy (same with raw egg yolks). Plus you can get the Cod Liver Oil naturally flavored with mint or other things which makes it taste much better.

Kacer
12-18-2004, 19:03
Originally posted by younggenious
Take high quality Cod Liver Oil. Yes, it tastes bad, but it is extremely healthy (same with raw egg yolks). Plus you can get the Cod Liver Oil naturally flavored with mint or other things which makes it taste much better.

Well, now it comes in gel caps which don't much taste like anything. But I'm concerned the amounts of omega 3's I need to take (a bit over 1G/day of pure ALA) Cod Liver Oil might cause a problem w/Vit. A toxicity (sp?) Plus, I like the Flaxseed Oil as it has a LOT of omega 3, with a bit of Omega 9 & 6 thrown in for good measure ;)

But 99% of people in the "western world" are omega 3 deficient... causing a LOT of our "health problems" including, but CERTAINLY not limited to obesity ;)

FreakyBig
12-19-2004, 06:41
Originally posted by diamondmike
Six hours a day may sound like alot to someone that has not done 30 years of lifting but you can call any jym and ask to talk to a trainer and he will tell you that it is not uncommon to have guys do 6-8 hours a day.

When someone does 6 hours a day that does not mean that they constantly are lifting, its broke up into sets over a 6 hour period.

;z
Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard (next to the raw meat of course). Theres not a pro out there that works out 8hrs/day. All of the supplements and drugs in the world are not going to allow your body to handle that kind of torture. I know quite a few pros and national competitors, most of which train no different than anyone else. Most of the pros I know do splits of no more than about an hour twice a day 5 or 6 days a week. Rest nutrition and supplements are what builds your muscle, not spending all day in the gym.

As far as the raw meat, thats ignorant. If you are that worried about taking in more steroids by not cooking your meat, then just cook the damn meat like a normal person and take your steroids separately.

Kacer
12-30-2004, 05:34
I knew there was another mineral that was important in "body building"....

Studies in animals and humans also show that chromium picolinate can increase lean muscle mass and decrease body fat. When 200 micrograms of chromium picolinate per day was given to some members of the Bemidji football team during the season, while they were lifting weights daily, they had a 22% drop in total body fat, compared to a 1.06% drop for the team members who did not receive it. Those receiving the supplement also had a 42% greater growth in lean muscle mass.

Foods high in chromium include brewer’s yeast, organ meats (especially kidney), oysters and beer. Chromium is also found in the bran and germ portions of grains, but most of it is removed during the refining process–one reason that Americans do not get enough.

And Magnesium works really well w/Chromium, I'm thinking that the body utilizes it (among other things) to help eliminate the "soreness" that tends to occur w/a LOT of intense weight-lifting. :)

testosterone
12-31-2004, 03:07
wow 6hrs of training is what i would say fits into the definition of over traiing. im in and out of the gym in 45mins 5x a week. anything more then an hour and you are being counter productive. i know professional bodybuilders,aside from their extreme drug regemines i can tell you that they do not train for more then 1hr a day...and what you read in FLEX and other bb mags does not count. those 'articles' written by the bodybuilders about their training splits are actually written by regular joes who write for fitness mags...and the whole raw egg thing is crazy. this was picked up from the Rocky moives and never actually played an important role in bb'ing. aside from the awful taste/texture you are risking samonilla posiining....cook your eggs, say 5 whites to one whole egg. pm me for more info.

walangkatapat
01-01-2005, 16:57
Thanks for all the good info.

younggenious
01-02-2005, 23:21
Can anybody recommend some good MRPs? That is, Meal Replacement Powders...

testosterone
01-03-2005, 13:07
mrp..always liked Myoplex Deluxe or Origional Myoplex. Made by EAS..only thing I dont like about mrp's is that they are thick....a big thick shake.

45acp4me
01-03-2005, 15:01
Originally posted by testosterone
mrp..always liked Myoplex Deluxe or Origional Myoplex. Made by EAS..only thing I dont like about mrp's is that they are thick....a big thick shake.

I mix my Myoplex half and half with water and milk, it thins them out and makes them easier to drink.

Regards,
Glen