American Soldier: Two thumbs up! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : American Soldier: Two thumbs up!

10 Ring Tao
08-22-2004, 16:44
During the 8 hour travel time to and from new mexico recently, I was able to read American Soldier. The first third is Tommy Frank's biography focusing on how/why he became a professional soldier, and how he became the commander of CENTCOM and it's AOR (area of responsibility). The last two thirds take you through Frank's personal experiences as he gains command shortly post 9/11, then through the afganistan and iraq wars.

It was particularly interesting to see what an affect Frank's personal relationships with foreign leaders had on operational plans, and all the behind the scenes beaurocratic BS that went on. I understood and agreed with why we attacked iraq, but after reading this I realize what a smooth transition it was from afganistan to iraq. WMD was not the only reason saddam needed to be taken out.

Great read, highly recommended!

insightAZ
08-27-2004, 19:13
I agree.

Great book!

norton
08-29-2004, 09:09
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
During the 8 hour travel time to and from new mexico recently, I was able to read American Soldier. The first third is Tommy Frank's biography focusing on how/why he became a professional soldier, and how he became the commander of CENTCOM and it's AOR (area of responsibility). The last two thirds take you through Frank's personal experiences as he gains command shortly post 9/11, then through the afganistan and iraq wars.

It was particularly interesting to see what an affect Frank's personal relationships with foreign leaders had on operational plans, and all the behind the scenes beaurocratic BS that went on. I understood and agreed with why we attacked iraq, but after reading this I realize what a smooth transition it was from afganistan to iraq. WMD was not the only reason saddam needed to be taken out.

Great read, highly recommended!

8 hours flight time between Michigan and New Mexico. Were you flying with the Wright Brothers?:)

Just kidding man. I have seen this book on the sellers shelf, think I will wait until my local library has it. Sounds like a good one

10 Ring Tao
08-29-2004, 11:34
Originally posted by norton
8 hours flight time between Michigan and New Mexico. Were you flying with the Wright Brothers?:)

8 hours travel time. 4 hours at the airport/flying, 4 hours on a bus driving from denver airport to cimarron NM which was our basecamp for an 80 mile backpacking trip.

Never did see wilbur or orville though. I'll make sure to look them up next time I'm at the outter banks in NC.