How far will 70 watts transmit? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How far will 70 watts transmit?

srhoades
08-23-2004, 07:04
I'm new to the whole radio thing. I bought a police scanner and it should be here anyday. I live about 45miles from a site that puts out 70 watts. Will I be able to pick it up?

08-23-2004, 07:50
Sorta depends on a lot of things! The frequency used by your local police, and the frequencies that your scanner can pick up.

Where (physically) is the transmitter? On top of a hill, or down in a valley?

Is you home shielded from the transmitter?

Are you utilizing an exterior antenna, or the antenna that comes with the scanner.

Right off the bat, my guess would be that, if you are tuned to the correct frequency, it shouldn't be a problem. A problem might exist if the local police are using an 800mhz trunking repeater system. If this is the case, you'll be able to receive their transmissions, but the conversations will seem real weird!!

GSD17
08-23-2004, 14:21
why get a scanner? just get a ham ticket and most 2m radios will scan as well!

srhoades
08-23-2004, 18:20
All though it may sounds a little wierd, I'm trying to pick up Disneyland. They have quite an extensive conventional and trunked system going on over there.

http://www.freqofnature.com/frequencies/ca/orange/disneyland.html

I am getting a Radio Shack Pro 95, which is mainly to listen to the local Sheriff and city PD's. I stumbled on the Disneyland link and thought what the heck.

GSD17
08-23-2004, 22:20
dont feel weird, people scan EVERYTHING, if it puts out a signal, someone is listening to it

08-24-2004, 07:50
I don't have the information handy, but I seem to recall that Disneyland also has a Ham repeater on site. Not sure how active it is.

Back to your question: Depending on your location (Riverside County), and your elevation with respect to Disneyland, you should be able to copy UHF and VHF freqs. just fine. However, there are those pesky hills between them and your QTH!!

Good luck.

beachside39
09-20-2004, 15:53
I've talked to Italian stations from my car with 70 watts.

It's never been easier to get your ham license now that code isn't required for the Technician and only 5 words per minute for General and Extra Class tickets.

I used a Yaesu VX5 hand-held on VHF & UHF for three years and was amazed with how much that little radio could do.

carbonblack
09-20-2004, 20:33
For the record, my pro 2035 will pick up signals from up to 60 miles away-on a good day. Barely picks up the local Pd when weather conditions get nasty. My setup is a basic radio shack base antenna sitting in my attic at about 10 feet of elevation. I am getting low loss coax and going up to about 16 feet in elevation shortly in an attempt to receive some ham operators about 60 miles away, don't expect it to work due to geography but worth a try. If you have a handheld, I am getting excellent results from a maxrad magnetic NMO base and an andrew asprb1415 antenna. This setup beats my old (and dead) radio shack magmount with a stick!! With my pro 95, I receive signals that were static with my old antenna, now loud and clear. The antenna is going to be hard wired into my suburban, with the same grade of coax that the maxrad base comes with.
The andrew antenna is also very discreet, only about 20 inches tall and blends right in when moving, looks like a high grade cell phone antenna. Get back and tell us what luck you had.