First things to teach to somebody new at Guns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First things to teach to somebody new at Guns

Valor1
08-23-2004, 07:19
If for example, you bring your wife to the range for the first time, assuming also that this will be the first time she will be handling guns. What will be the first things you will concentrate on? Your opinions are very appreciated.

bulm540
08-23-2004, 07:30
Originally posted by Valor1
If for example, you bring your wife to the range for the first time, assuming also that this will be the first time she will be handling guns. What will be the first things you will concentrate on? Your opinions are very appreciated.

SAFETY..

Dandapani
08-23-2004, 08:02
1) All guns are always loaded.

2) Never let the muzzle cover anything which you are not willing to destroy.

3) Keep your finger OFF the trigger until your sights are on the target.

4) Always be sure of your target.

julianz
08-23-2004, 08:19
Originally posted by dmobrien2001
1) All guns are always loaded.

2) Never let the muzzle cover anything which you are not willing to destroy.

3) Keep your finger OFF the trigger until your sights are on the target.

4) Always be sure of your target.

ditto

casmot
08-23-2004, 08:31
SAFETY, SAFETY, and for the third time SAFETY.

rhino465
08-23-2004, 09:10
Safety, safety, safety!

Rules #2 and #3 especially!

antediluvianist
08-23-2004, 09:11
Always keep the muzzle of the gun pointed downrange.

Then get into the other tips.

I've seen people new to the range zip the barrel around when asking questions, or aim it up into their chin while waiting.

Uncle Don
08-23-2004, 09:27
Originally posted by antediluvianist
Always keep the muzzle of the gun pointed downrange.

I agree that this should be first - many safety rules to follow but if this is first, then a tragedy can be averted even if there is a ND before you get all the bases covered.

vega
08-23-2004, 15:33
I'm surprised nobody said SAFETY.;)

vega

edited to add - SAFETY

Evan N. Payawal
08-23-2004, 18:53
Just to complement rule no. 4, before discharging your weapon, be sure where the bullet will STOP. Even if protecting yourself, you will be liable if you hit an innocent bystander. Teach her about the concept of a BACKSTOP and what will or will not work as one.

Valor1
08-23-2004, 18:56
Okey thanks. After you've taught everything about the four rules of gun safety, what's next? Thanks.

cznayr
08-23-2004, 19:05
Assuming that you have acquainted her with the gun parts and their functions, start with proper grip and stance... then use of the front sight..

mikey177
08-23-2004, 22:35
Ditto what was already said.

After a discussion of the safety rules, an illustration of proper sight alignment and sight picture, then a demonstration of the proper grip, stance, and trigger squeeze (via dry fire).

After several dry fires for her to get a feel of the correct basics, only then should you proceed to live fire practice.

I'd even advocate training with an air pistol or airsoft gun first if this is possible. You get to master the basics without fear of the loud noise and recoil.

horge
08-23-2004, 23:02
O siya, siya...

First --- The Four Rules
Second -- Manual of Arms of the specific gun (controls, mag load/unload), etc.

Third --- Range Etiquette & Language('Firing!', tipping, etc.)
Fourth -- The Four Rules
Fifth --- Proper Stance, Sight Picture
Sixth --- IPSC/IDPA Rules, Transitioning, Tac. Reloads, Reloads with Retent, etc.
Seventh - Proper Trophy Acceptance Etiquette
Eigth --- The Four Rules
Ninth --- Gun Maintenance & Repair
Tenth --- Gun Design & Manufacture
Eleventh- The Four Rules

then we move on to sophomore skills...

;f

New_comer
08-24-2004, 03:01
I'm wth ENP: edit #4 to also include this phrase: "...and what's beyond."

Next, the most important range rule I'd insist on a full understanding by the student is the 180 degree rule.

After that, i'll first show how it's done without bullets, then fire with only one bullet, then let her do same without bullet, then with one bullet, then two, then let her rip with a full clip ;)

Then to stand aside as she gobbles up all the ammo available to her heart's content, and then some more.

That's how I did it with my wife and son... :)

antediluvianist
08-24-2004, 03:36
"Seventh - Proper Trophy Acceptance Etiquette"

;z

krinkov
08-24-2004, 03:44
while training our reporters for the show, first thing i taught them was to ALWAYS wear their glasses and plugs since it was their first time and there were people practicing--the range was quite small and was being used for CQB training. tyros often develop a sort of trauma especially when unexpectedly exposed to gunfire as loud as an M16 or even a large bore pistol. second, WHERE to be in a range. some folks simply ignore what other people are actually doing. this may sound trivial but i'm one guy who's seen the business end of a .40cal during the 2003 PPSA Nationals in Paoay. and this while i was already in the safest possible spot. the shooter on-deck twisted his leg traversing and pivoted towards the spectators with the gun still hot!!!

julianz
08-24-2004, 04:00
I am and still following this newbies tip http://www.sportshooter.com/safety/safetyrules.htm

Allegra
08-24-2004, 07:04
Sa lahat naman ng tuturuan asawa pa....:)
Assuming, tapos na sa safety at proper stance blahblahblah

Get ear plugs , and ear muffs para doble hearing protection
dry fire sya on a blank wall , focusing on the sight pic and sight alignment. rest then dry fire ulit , then mag merienda naman kayo

after..

1. Live fire shooting ( w/ earplugs and muffs )
Make her shoot live rounds with her eyes closed para masanay lang sya na hindi sya masasaktan ng blast and noise ng gun. When shes used to the blast...

2. Let her shoot with eyes open pero WALANG target.Let her shoot the backstop. Let her focus on the sights lang and nothing else.
If she still flinches, then see # 1
When she can shoot the gun with her eyes focused on the sights( front)comfortably and w/out flinching........

3. Lagyan ng target sa malapit. Ilayo mo as she builds confidence and gets better.......then

4. Sumama ka na sakin mag triathlon, you might need the running skills :)

julianz
08-24-2004, 08:32
This is just my 1 peso, whatever tips or stuff you teach to a newby the most IMPORTANT thing is to observe if the newby is really interested to the sport and intersted to learn.You can teach all day, give books , videos etc. If the newby is not INTERESTed it'll be USELESS.

Take the newby to the range make them watch to embrace the sport let them feel the rush let them see that you are really enjoying what you are doing ....then you can start teaching.

jundeleon
08-24-2004, 13:25
What to teach the wife?

First and foremost, the four basic rules of gun safety.

Second, basic weapon familiarity.

And third, lessons in legal liability concerning firearms. Required reading would be: "How to Shoot Full Automatic Weapons in Public and Get Away With It" by Ryan Jaworski.

bulm540
08-24-2004, 13:34
;z

jecht_sphere
08-24-2004, 17:00
bakit nga nman asawa pa as allegre has said! he3:)
Mahirap pagnatuto si commander ko, mas lalo hindi na ako makakaporma! ha ha ha.

first thing siguro that i will teach her is to tell her: darling huwag ka na lang matuto, please FOR MY OWN SAFETY & PROTECTION.;z ;f :cool:

seriously mga pare, the first thing that i will teach my wife is to have her READ THIS THREAD 3x. Then pwede na sya hataw! Waaa kawawa naman ako!;f ;f ;f ;f

Alexii
08-24-2004, 18:42
Originally posted by Allegra
Sa lahat naman ng tuturuan asawa pa....:) Sumama ka na sakin mag triathlon, you might need the running skills :)

;z ;z ;z

mc_oliver
08-25-2004, 04:02
Originally posted by jundeleon
And third, lessons in legal liability concerning firearms. Required reading would be: "How to Shoot Full Automatic Weapons in Public and Get Away With It" by Ryan Jaworski.
Jezzus! Natawa ako dre...;z ;z ;z

Okey thanks. After you've taught everything about the four rules of gun safety, what's next? Thanks.
Time to discuss the option of buying another gun. ;)

antediluvianist
08-25-2004, 04:10
Explain in great detail that all legal defenses regarding spousicide have been tried and have not prospered. Hence, coming home late and stinking drunk, with or without evidence of extra-marital dalliance , is no grounds for gunplay.