Aguinaldo and Bonifacio revolvers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aguinaldo and Bonifacio revolvers

3Eighty
08-24-2004, 00:27
Anyone here knows the make and model of revolvers used by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo and Andres Bonifacio during the revolutionary war?

No one seems to know at PHILIPPINES DEFENSE FORCES FORUM (http://s3.invisionfree.com/Defense_Philippines/index.php?act=idx)

cznayr
08-24-2004, 00:28
Itak at anting-anting kay Andres B.;)

3Eighty
08-24-2004, 00:45
The bolo was only for show. Bonifacio used his revolver during battles. :cool:

cznayr
08-24-2004, 01:49
I was just kidding around. His bolo and revolver were kept in the legislative building (now called the National Musuem). Unfortunately it was burned down during the war. I hope they kept a record of what kind of revolver it was. Check the national museum :)

paltic
08-24-2004, 02:22
kung hindi ako nagkakamali ay colt .45 (long colt) revolver ang gamit nila that time...(double action)

Colt's first heavy frame, .45 inch Calibre, double and single action revolver manufactured between the years 1872 to 1909. This is an army model. Many of this model were made on Government order for Cavalry use. These differed from the standard design in having a much larger trigger guard and a longer trigger to permit use with a gloved hand. With these variations, this arm has been known as the 'Alaskan' and the 'Philippine' models.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/paltik/arm223.jpg[/IMG]

jasonub
08-24-2004, 02:43
i thought it was a brazos custom lightened slide open pistol;f

Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!!!! bang bang, bang bang, bang bang, emptying the 29 round mag and doing a reload as bonifacio rode "silver" his horse a 1100 bmw;f

horge
08-24-2004, 03:09
I posted the following to the Forum mentioned:

Hello, my name is Horge, and I was directed to this thread from the BoG forum.

I feel the revolvers used by the Katipuneros were almost certainly variations on the Lefaucheux-type M.1863 Pinfire Revolver. While a chiefly-Belgian design, they were licensed out, and the Spanish Army was outfitted with such pistols license-manufactured in Oviedo. Although they remained in official service only until 1888, in reality, these lingered on in Spain's remaining colonial forces. Large quantities of this type were collected by American forces from the surrendering Spanish garrisons, and also later from defeated Katipuneros.

Anyway, these pistols were chambered for 11mm ammunition, and it stands to reason that even the numerous paltik used by the Katipunan would have been made to take advantage of any seized ammo supplies of the Spaniards.

Bonifacio may have held on to any a pistol captured in his successful assault on the Spanish polvorin in San Juan del Monte, and if so, then it would have been a Lefaucheux-type.

Aguinaldo may have had access to a larger variety of handguns over a longer period of time, but again, in all likelihood, these would have included Lefaucheux-type 11mm caliber revolvers.

hope this helps
:)
horge

Just MHO, but while it's likely that more modern Colt or even S&W revolving pistols were available to Spanish mainland officers (perhaps even moreso to officers in Cuba), the decrepit condition of the Philippine garrison would have made it unlikely.
:)
horge

3Eighty
08-25-2004, 04:03
Must be one hell of a weapon to reload especially during firefights ;z

9MX
08-25-2004, 17:38
Originally posted by paltic
kung hindi ako nagkakamali ay colt .45 (long colt) revolver ang gamit nila that time...(double action)

Colt's first heavy frame, .45 inch Calibre, double and single action revolver manufactured between the years 1872 to 1909. This is an army model. Many of this model were made on Government order for Cavalry use. These differed from the standard design in having a much larger trigger guard and a longer trigger to permit use with a gloved hand. With these variations, this arm has been known as the 'Alaskan' and the 'Philippine' models.

correct me if i'm wrong, but was'nt the .45 caliber developed only when the americans were fighting with the muslim huramentados in mindanao? of course everone knows that the spanish came here first...

Eye Cutter
08-25-2004, 18:19
I think that's a .45 Colt. Different from the .45 ACP used for the 1911

doctabako
08-26-2004, 10:14
And this is what I posted in the aforementioned forum :)

Greetings Guys, like Horge, I'm also from the Band Of Glockers forum of GT. This info may or may not be relevant as to what the Filipino Generals were able to "liberate" or get hold of during their skirmishes with the Spaniards, as the weapons of the Spanish Continental forces may have been a tad more advanced than that provided to the Spanish Colonial forces, but here goes.

This quote is from the "Standard Catalog of Military Firearms" by Ned Schwing

Officers in the Spanish military provided their own sidearms during the later half of the 19th century and into the early 20th century. The Spanish government provided guidelines for purchase and many Spanish officers purchased Smith&Wesson and Merwin&Hulbert revolvers. In 1884 the Spanish government directed its military officers corps to purchase the Smith&Wesson .44 Double Action Top Break built by Orbea y Compania of Eibar, Spain. It was designated the model 1884

This is a picture of the S&W .44 DA First Model but it looks similar to this
http://armsbid.com/images/15618-DA44n.jpg

Nice forum you have here and more power to you guys.

horge
08-27-2004, 01:18
DocT:
Nice one!
Do you know if the Eibar Model 3's were in .44 Russian or .44 American?

dinggaling
08-27-2004, 03:31
Originally posted by paltic

di ba "Smith and Welding?";z

--------------------------------------
"tough luck not to carry a glock"

doctabako
08-27-2004, 06:15
Originally posted by horge
DocT:
Nice one!
Do you know if the Eibar Model 3's were in .44 Russian or .44 American?

The Eibar Model 1884's were not Model 3's(which are single action only) they were copies of the S&W .44 DA First Model (which are double action revolvers) which were essentially Modified(by installation of the double action mechanism) Model 3's and were chambered in .44 Russian throughout the production of the First model from 1881-1913.:)

horge
08-27-2004, 16:16