Shin Spilts and Running. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shin Spilts and Running.

git_r_dun0405
08-27-2004, 13:25
I would like to start running again. Sprints and short fast distance. But the problem is when I run or skip rope, jump, etc. I get large bruises on my left leg at the shin. Is this "Shin Splits"? How can I prevent this from happening?

I had an accident about 10 years ago when I fell on the front door steps and I have had this problem since. The bruise will start small and get large as the days go by. No pain just sore.

Jim in MI
08-29-2004, 07:48
I don't know if I would call that shin splints

It is a bruise as in purple---I doubt it

Is it a bruise as in you have a bump that sticks out---thats a type of hernia, the bulge is is little piece of muscle sticking out between a tear in the fascia; it rare for it to be painful. You can have the tear surgically sewn up.

Run of the mill shin splints---arch supports, good stability running shoes, build up your mileage gradually, and run slow for a while

live-free-r-die
08-29-2004, 17:23
Shin splints can be caused by too much support in a shoe as well.

Go to a good running store and have your gait analyzed. You need to correct pronation / supination to relive the stress on your anterior tibialis.

If you supinate stretch your calves and strengthen your peronials.

git_r_dun0405
08-29-2004, 21:57
Ok Thanks for the info. Yes the bruise will start small and gets larger if I keep trying to run or jump over a couple days. It will go away but reappear if I try to run again. Its right in the shin area.

Vitamin G
09-03-2004, 13:22
I had shin splints for a year in high school when i played soccer. The coach wanted us to run on the road for most of our warm ups, and several players developed shin splints. Next year we only ran on grass, and no one developed them again. I treated mine by freezing styrofoam cups full of water, and peeling the foam away as it melted as i iced my shins down.

Hope that helps. I couldn't do much, other than stay off it for a couple months.

Scott Kay
09-03-2004, 16:22
I injured my left shin on military duty and it was misdiagnosed for years as "shin splints" which is really not much of a medical terma at all. Eventually, when everytime I ran for 1/4 mile my left shin (technically the calf) would turn black and blue and I lost the ability to use the leg, I went to see an orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed the injury as "compartment syndrome." The traumatic variety is caused by impact (usually a car accident) but mine was of the exertion variety.

If your impact was serious then maybe that is what happened. You should do a search for compartment syndrome online and see what you find. My understanding though was in cases of severe traumatic compartment syndrome, almost immediate surgery was required. So then again, maybe that is not what you have.

What I did was I tore a hole in my leg while running - similar to a hernia - where from then on whenever the calf would fill up with blood while exercising, the muscle would take the path of least resistance and expand through the tear thereby causing it to cut off the blood flow and the nerves.

The solution in most cases is surgery called flasciotomy ... although it did not help me much because apparently my damage is permanent. But do not expect regular medics or PAs or GP doctors to know what this is (mine did not). You have to see an orthopedic surgeon.

Good luck.

BrotherMak
09-03-2004, 18:43
I used to hike up Camelback Mtn in Phoenix often. During the way down I would run where it was safe to do so. I started devloping shin splints and found the best thing for me was to stretch out my lower legs before my climb.

Really stretching my calves then sitting and pointing my toes to stretch the front of the lower legs as well.

HTH,
BrotherMak

Jim in MI
09-08-2004, 14:17
Compartment syndromes...

usually hurts like all hell, then you stop the exercise, and pains stops like right now

usually happens at exactly the same time: always x minutes into a run (or whatever), always x minutes into jumping rope

The test by an orthopod is easy, you get a needle stuck into your leg to measure the pressure, then go running for a while, and get leg stuck again to measure for severe pressure increase.

Get a referral to an orthopod and quit messing around on the net.

seed
09-09-2004, 20:51
Compartment syndrome is different from standard so-called shin-splints...much more serious and harder to treat. Standard shin-spints, in my experience are caused by an imbalance in strength between the anterior and posterior muscle groups of the lower legs...the anterior muscles being much weaker (although the medial and lateral portions are usually weak as well). The best long-term and usually permanent treatment of shin splints is to strengthen these muscle groups through exercises, such as anterior tibialis dorsi-flexions, using something like a thera-band or surgical tubing. In other words, you have somebody hold onto one end of the band/tubing while the other end is wrapped around the metatarsal portion of your feet. You flex to pull your toes toward you, while resistance is being provided by the theraband/tubing. You do this 20-30 times on each foot, then your friend rotates to provide resistance in the lateral position and you rotate your feet (careful to not involve your entire legs) in the opposite direction of the band and friend. Then you repeat medially. You can start with one to two sets in each direction for each foot and then go up to three sets. Usually, after about a week or two, the shin splints are gone forever...even if you never do these exercises again.

But, if it is compartment syndrome or a stress fracture, this won't solve the problem...obviously. Oh, one more thing...lay off the calf exercises until the imbalance is less severe. Then, if you go back to them, you should continue to do the other exercises as well.

seed.

git_r_dun0405
09-10-2004, 00:02
Thanks.