Scuba Forum! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Forum!

mzenzer
08-27-2004, 21:59
I'm a long time Scuba diver, but I've been out of it for quite a while. I'm YMCA open water certified, but am currently switching to PADI.

A lot has changed since my heyday, and I think we should have a scuba (self contained underwater breathing apparatus for you non-adventurers) forum to discuss things such as new equipment and just talk about our cool dives.

As far as me, I've been over 300 feet and 120 feet deep in some of the spring caves in the Florida panhandle. I've done night dives on wrecks off the cost of Florida, and I've done a bunch of spearfishing at the rigs off the coast of Louisiana. My deepest dive was about 135ft at a rig off LA.

In the spring I plan to hit the Flower Gardens in the Gulf.

Anyway, it's just a thought. And oh by the way, I call Scuba club member numero uno (hey, it's only fair! ;f )

Eddie C.
08-28-2004, 17:22
Hiya Mike. I've been snorkling all over the Caribbean. I want to get my certified Divers License. I'd like to join and put me in for Scuba Club member number 2!

mzenzer
08-28-2004, 20:05
Originally posted by Eddie C.
Hiya Mike. I've been snorkling all over the Caribbean. I want to get my certified Divers License. I'd like to join and put me in for Scuba Club member number 2!

Hey Eddie! Snorkeling counts, so come on in. I know there are some divers here as the subject has come up in the past, so hopefully we'll get a forum going.

Getting certified is easy, but the biggest thing about getting into diving is the equipment. It can be costly, but not out of reach for the average joe. Next up is having a place to dive. Living along the Gulf Coast is great because you don't have to go on long, involved, and very expensive trips to find good spots. Coastal Louisiana sucks in terms of clarity (the Mississippi muddies the Gulf up) but the rigs offshore are awesome.

The Florida panhandle, a short drive from Louisiana, has lots of dive opportunities. Plenty of spring caves (some you need to be cave certified though) and some good offshore diving. Lots of wrecks to dive.

http://www.ocsbbs.com/featured_photo/diving_under_rig.jpg

Patricia
08-28-2004, 20:23
Guys, I'm gonna move this to the Clubhouse Office for you, which is where such threads need to go. Good luck. :)

Oh, and here's my vote.

4TS&W
08-28-2004, 20:38
Naui checking in.

with my vote.. :)

ReAX222
08-29-2004, 00:14
If it is a go, I'll lurk too. PADI for the last 11years. If you neeed any help on the PADI open water/advanced/rescue/master test let me know. I am a master diver and my father is a master instructor.

FireGuy
08-29-2004, 00:37
Put me on the list... Am a PADI diver, with dives in East Timor, Hawaii, Guam, and Florida. Hoping to do Caribean and Red Sea in the next year. Right now I'm just a dirt diver - you hear a BOOM and dive in the dirt...;P

mzenzer
08-29-2004, 08:43
Originally posted by ReAX222
I am a master diver and my father is a master instructor.

Hey thanks for the offer and good to see we have an advanced level diver here. I was well on my way to dive master when I stopped diving. Even though I lost my log book ;g , I do plan on continuing that path. That's one reason I want to switch to PADI, since there are far more training opportunities around here.

Crow17
08-29-2004, 08:54
Count me in too. I'm a PADI instructor and have also taught NAUI and IANTD. In fact, I leave in ten minutes to do the final checkout dives with my friends son.

mzenzer
08-31-2004, 21:04
BTT

Anyone else?

jeepcj258
09-03-2004, 08:43
I am just getting started but I will certainly put a vote in for the forum.

God Bless
Seth

mzenzer
09-04-2004, 21:30
BTT

Tryin to keep it alive!

Mondo
09-11-2004, 10:18
mzenzer, I'm in! Sounds like fun.;f

Mondo
09-11-2004, 10:18
If you give out numbers I'm in for #357!;i

mzenzer
09-11-2004, 10:21
Originally posted by Mondo_357
If you give out numbers I'm in for #357!;i

I hope it does happen, but I only count 9 interested so far. We need 50.

But if we do get it, that number is yours.

Alan Antopol
09-15-2004, 23:37
Have a bit of experience with 32 dives, a NAUI openwater I, and an ACUC Advanced. Would like #13, if possible.

Happy diving! Alan

P.S. Remember, a bad day diving is better than a good day at the office. ;f

Eyespy
09-15-2004, 23:42
Hi there! I'm PADI open water certified. Did many beach entry dives off the coves around Laguna Beach area, one dive at the San Diego kelp forrest, a couple of Catalina and Anacapa boat dives, and a few dives off the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. Haven't gone diving in a while, so I've been thinking of taking a refresher course and setting up a dive trip.

mzenzer
09-17-2004, 16:54
Guys, it doesn't seem like there is much interest here in a Scuba forum. However, I just thought I'd point out a forum I found. You guessed it, its a Scuba forum.;)

http://www.scubaboard.com/

I've been hanging out there a bit and everyone seems very knowledgeable and nice. Its not necessarily a small board, with an average of 200 members and as many guests during the evenings. They have state and regional clubs like GT has so if you are short on dive buddies (like I am) you might be able to hook up with someone near you.

I found a lot more dives sites in my area then I thought were there to, so thats cool.

I post over there as mzenzer as well.

groverglock
09-17-2004, 18:30
Count me in

OSSI
09-18-2004, 21:22
I was a Swiss Army combat diver , living now in Australia .
Count me in:)

Lunatic Fringe
09-21-2004, 11:13
Sure, why not? I'm Padi certified since 1980, haven't been in some time, though.

Alan Antopol
09-25-2004, 11:58
Folks,

Since this is the pre scuba forum, do you have any opinions on the Boker Orca scuba knife? Is a line cutting knotch a necessity on a scuba knife?

Thanks - Have a good weekend. Alan

G21FAN
09-25-2004, 12:59
starting dive school in 2 weeks! count me in please.

hwyhobo
09-25-2004, 13:06
Hope to add diving to the list of my hobbies at some point, and I would love to learn from many of you. Consider this my "Yes" vote.

Eyespy
09-25-2004, 13:08
Originally posted by Alan Antopol
Folks,

Since this is the pre scuba forum, do you have any opinions on the Boker Orca suba knife? Is a line cutting knotch a necessity on a scuba knife?

Thanks - Have a good weekend. Alan

I prefer a hooked edge line cutter. A line cutting knife is a necessary feature in a scuba knife.

The Tactical/Dive Serrated Blade Knife is a quality knife, but you don't need to spend anywhere that much money to get a reliable dive knife and sheath to attach to your leg.

Alan Antopol
09-25-2004, 20:13
Originally posted by Eyespy
I prefer a hooked edge line cutter. A line cutting knife is a necessary feature in a scuba knife.

The Tactical/Dive Serrated Blade Knife is a quality knife, but you don't need to spend anywhere that much money to get a reliable dive knife and sheath to attach to your leg.

So, Eyespy, what do you recommend? Are you saying the Orca, which has serrations, but no specific line cutting notch, is not such a good scoba knife for that reason?

Thanks for the info and advice. Alan

P.S. Are you Culp or Cosby? ;f

Eyespy
09-25-2004, 20:24
So, Eyespy, what do you recommend? Are you saying the Orca, which has serrations, but no specific line cutting notch, is not such a good scoba knife for that reason?

Thanks for the info and advice. Alan

P.S. Are you Culp or Cosby? ;f

The specific Orca model I referenced does have a serated edge as well as a line cutting notch. I have to claim ingnorance and admit I did not understand the "culp or cosby" reference, so I googled it and see it has something to do with spy movies? :)

Alan Antopol
09-25-2004, 20:29
The specific Orca model I referenced does have a serated edge as well as a line cutting notch. I have to claim ingnorance and admit I did not understand the "culp or cosby" reference, so I googled it and see it has something to do with spy movies? :)

Eyespy,

I saw a different Orca model with only serrations.

So, what reasonably priced diving knife do you recommend? Appreciate that you are willing to share your expertise.

There was an excellent, witty, IHMO, tv show called I Spy, starring Robert Culp and Bill Cosby.

Thanks Alan

Eyespy
09-25-2004, 20:40
Eyespy,

I saw a different Orca model with only serrations.

So, what reasonably priced diving knife do you recommend? Appreciate that you are willing to share your expertise.

There was an excellent, witty, IHMO, tv show called I Spy, starring Robert Culp and Bill Cosby.

Thanks Alan

Take a look at Underwater Kinetics. I personally like the Ocean Master Titanium Knife and the Underwater Kinetics Blue Tang Titanium Dive Knife. My own dive knife is an Underwater Kinetics, an earlier model.

Ah...I Spy. That brings back a few memories....:cool:

Alan Antopol
09-26-2004, 00:06
Eyespy,

The Underwater Kinetics looks great. Can get it for about $64 shipped, which seems reasonable. That is <<< cheaper than the Orca.

Thanks very much!

Alan

ARs&AKs
10-02-2004, 08:12
Count me in for the Scuba forum!
I've been a certified diver for a few years now and have been to Oahu/Maui, Cozumel and the Cayman islands.

Eyespy
10-02-2004, 08:22
Eyespy,

The Underwater Kinetics looks great. Can get it for about $64 shipped, which seems reasonable. That is <<< cheaper than the Orca.

Thanks very much!

Alan

You're welcome Alan. So what did you decide?

UltraReef
11-20-2004, 10:34
Woot!! to a SCUBA forum. I dive with a SOG navy SEAL pup and it works great.

I have been to GTMO, Jamaica, Honduras and my favorite...Bonaire.

flyandscuba
12-23-2004, 09:34
I'd participate in a SCUBA forum. By the way, my neighborhood is the proud new recipient of the nation's largest artificial reef in the form of the USS Oriskany to be sunk in June, 2006

See here:
http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/news/html/37AB9CDC-4DDF-41BC-AB81-BB599C74CE06.shtml

The ship be sunk 25 miles SSE of the Pensacola Pass at a depth of 210 feet, placing the flight deck at about 100 feet. The Island will run from 60-80 feet. At 888 feet long, this will be a diving city -- impossible to see it all in a week of diving!

A vast diving, spearfishing, and fishing paradise!! Who's up for the first trip?

Alan Antopol
01-16-2005, 22:54
You're welcome Alan. So what did you decide?

Eyespy,

Finally got an Ocean Master Beta titanium tanto pointed knife with a lime green handle. :) Like the idea of a point, rather than a chisel. Have been told a tanto point is sturdier and less likely to break. Knife feels very light. Has a line cutter notch, serations for rope, and a tank banger butt.

Ocean Master makes a sheath for the sheath, a neoprene knife wrap, that is touted as, and seems, very comfortable. Worth getting? Store was out of them.

Now all I have to do is figure out a time to go South and dive.

Thanks again. Alan