Increase your grip strength. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Increase your grip strength.

Blaster
08-31-2004, 16:00
Have you tried the "Captains of Crush Grippers". They are an excelent product and great for improving your grip strength.

THE BREAKDOWN

Trainer @ 100 lb. --- 2 to 3 Times stronger than grippers you have ever owned before
#1 @ 140 lb. --- Stops most guys who lift weights
#2 @ 195 lb. --- Rarely closed
#3 @ 280 lb. --- Only closed by about 75 men in the world
#4 @ 365 lb. --- Fully closed by only one man under authenticated conditions

Check them out here: http://www.emersonknives.com/EK_Grippers.html

You can also find them at Ironmind.com along with many other great strength products.

LittleFoot
08-31-2004, 18:21
thanks, but i think i'll stick with having a girlfriend ;j

California Jack
08-31-2004, 19:16
A couple of things about that website. First, the number 4 has been closed by 2 people.

Secondly, the COCs are Ironmind products, are we sure that Emerson Knives sell the real McCoy? I'm not trying to accuse any one of forging grippers, but I didn't know Strossen supplied other dealers.

Blaster
08-31-2004, 20:51
Originally posted by California Jack
A couple of things about that website. First, the number 4 has been closed by 2 people.

My point wasn't to get into just how many people have actually closed a #4 Gripper, but if you want to press the issue the actual number is 5 people. Apparently Emerson's web site has not been kept up to date. http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/opencms/IronMind/Main/captainwhoswho2.html

California Jack
08-31-2004, 20:57
Interesting. Pressing an issue though? Hardly. Obviously I didn't know about Samuelson, Heslop and umm, the guy after Holle. They aren't mentioned in my most recent Ironmind catalog, and I don't subscribe to Strossen's magazine.

But my bigger point was more along the lines of Ironmind supplying other vendors. I am taken a bit by surprise by this. Is this a deal where Emerson advertises the COCs so they are exposed to a new audience and orders are actually drop shipped from Ironmind?

Thanks for updating me on the #4s.

Jack

USPMAN
09-09-2004, 07:32
And about 3 more people have closed the #4, but Strossen kept missing them. (Even though the first guy certified (Kinney) was witnessed only by his wife). Now the rules to certifying are changed to make it all but impossible. Also, the #3 has fallen to more men in the last two years.

And for the record, I can close the #2.

BCR
09-09-2004, 13:29
Just what my Carpal Tunnel(sp?) needed!

Germanasian
09-09-2004, 16:40
About how strong of a guy does it take to close down a #2? I know there's no exact way to tell, but what kind of lifts does a guy that can squeeze #2 do (i.e. you, USPMAN)?

USPMAN
09-09-2004, 18:06
Originally posted by Germanasian
About how strong of a guy does it take to close down a #2? I know there's no exact way to tell, but what kind of lifts does a guy that can squeeze #2 do (i.e. you, USPMAN)?

I think anyone can close the #2 with some training, but it may take anywhere from weeks to months. Someone that can open the package and slam shut the #2 is unreal. (a few have closed the #3 first time ;P ) I took several months to be able to do it, one week to close the #1. I am almost 6-0, 155# on a good day, and 22 y/o. I have seen incredibly strong guys (+300# bench) fail to close the #1 when I show it to them. For comparison, a #2 is about as hard to close as crushing a small Red Delicious apple, and most guys can't chest close a #3 with two hands.

Germanasian
09-09-2004, 21:03
Thanks, USP. I guess I better get the #1 then. Have you noticed the grip training helping you in any facet of life or other training since you started?

California Jack
09-09-2004, 21:11
Germanazn,

From Ironminds website...

Which gripper should I start with?
If youíve never trained your crushing grip specifically, itís best to start with the Trainer. If youíve been training with a sporting goods store gripper, or regularly use hand strength as part of your work, then start with a No. 1. Very rarely will somebody close a No. 2 the first time he tries it.

I don't know anything about you, so maybe the #1 is for you. But unlless you've trained crushing grip, Ironmind recommends starting with the trainer.

Good luck,
Jack

USPMAN
09-09-2004, 23:40
Thanks, USP. I guess I better get the #1 then. Have you noticed the grip training helping you in any facet of life or other training since you started?

Well, my hands are thicker. I can hold on to heavier weights (250# one hand deadlifts), I can burst unopened soda cans with a two handed chest crush, and throw a football with more accuracy. Go for it. If you can pick up a 25 to 35lb dumbell up vertically, with one hand, by the weight (i.e. thumb on the number 35), get the #1. If not, you might want to get the trainer to start.

For motivation, look at Tommy Heslep on Ironmind's list. He only weighs 185 lbs, and not only closed the #4, but can also pinch 2 45# plates, smooth side out, with 2 fingers and a thumb.

Germanasian
09-10-2004, 00:54
Originally posted by USPMAN
If you can pick up a 25 to 35lb dumbell up vertically, with one hand, by the weight (i.e. thumb on the number 35), get the #1. If not, you might want to get the trainer to start.

I'm not sure I understand this. What type of dumbell are you talking about? There are the iron ones that are all one piece of steel like the old timers used, there are the ones with mini "plates" on the ends of a knurled bar, ones with a knurled bar and a single disc (that gets thicker the heavier you go) on the ends, and the hexagonal dumbells. Where do I grab it exactly and how many fingers can I use? What about trying to pick up a plate by the center 'hub'?

Thanks

USPMAN
09-10-2004, 07:22
I'm not sure I understand this. What type of dumbell are you talking about? There are the iron ones that are all one piece of steel like the old timers used, there are the ones with mini "plates" on the ends of a knurled bar, ones with a knurled bar and a single disc (that gets thicker the heavier you go) on the ends, and the hexagonal dumbells. Where do I grab it exactly and how many fingers can I use? What about trying to pick up a plate by the center 'hub'?

Thanks

Use a hex dumbell. Balance it straight up on the floor. Pick it up by the top, not the handle, like you would pick up a CD. Use all of your fingers. Basically, you are trying to lift a block weight. Better would be to saw the 2 35lb ends off of a 70lb hex dumbell and lift them. BTW, the "old-timer" iron ones, what do they look like (i.e. brand, weight, color)?

Germanasian
09-10-2004, 09:35
OK, thanks. I'll have to go to the fitness store and 'try' out some of their hex dumbells.

The 'old timer' dumbells I was referring to were the all solid one piece iron dumbells that were simply two round balls connected by a handle.

Team Greenbaum
10-06-2004, 11:13
I just stumbled on this thread by accident. Here's my $0.02.

Secondly, the COCs are Ironmind products, are we sure that Emerson Knives sell the real McCoy? I'm not trying to accuse any one of forging grippers, but I didn't know Strossen supplied other dealers.

Ironmind does sell their Captains of Crush Grippers through other dealers (http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=captains+of+crush) I have no doubt that the ones from Emerson are authentic.

About how strong of a guy does it take to close down a #2? I know there's no exact way to tell, but what kind of lifts does a guy that can squeeze #2 do?

A person's size and gym lifts have very little to do with grip strength. The best "natural" closers are people who work with their hands & fingers all day like electricians and mechanics. As stated above, if you've done some grip training already, start with the #1, otherwise start with the Trainer.

-Scott Greenbaum

ateamer
10-06-2004, 11:48
I can do eight to 10 reps with the #2 and get the #3 halfway closed. I need to get back on grip training and close the #3.

Team Greenbaum
10-07-2004, 10:59
Originally posted by ateamer
I can do eight to 10 reps with the #2 and get the #3 halfway closed. I need to get back on grip training and close the #3.
That's excellent! I highly recommend training with strap holds to finish off that #3. Hang some weight from a fabric/nylon/leather strap, close the #2 and clamp the handles on other end of the strap, and then lift the weight. For a real challenge, try a using a steel ruler...