An idea - let's write a cliff hanger [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : An idea - let's write a cliff hanger


Timber Wolf
08-31-2004, 18:13
In H.S., when I took "Science FIction" as one of my elective English classes we broke up into groups and each had to write a chapter. We discussed a few of the main points, and where we were planning on leaving the main characters at the end of each chptr., so that the person starting the next chptr., would know where to pick up from.

Although we may not be able to write exactly that way - we could start a story, leave it somewhere, and let someone else pick it up. With the person to post that they will take the next chpt., so everyone else knows its been picked up.

So, how 'bout it? Maybe it'll get our creative juices flowing / give our muse a kick in the pants, and get us writing some other stuff.

MrsKitty
08-31-2004, 19:04
That could be fun!

Who else wants to play? :)

tous
09-02-2004, 07:46
I'm in, except ... I'm not sure I want my juices to flow :) :) and if we need to attack a Muse, can we shoot it instead? :) :)

Nephilim
09-03-2004, 02:27
Hi guys... this sounds like a great idea for a continual writing excercise. Would you like it to start in this thread, or do you want a new fresh thread with the guidelines posted at the beginning of the thread? I'd be happy to start one :)

How about we use this thread to hash out some ideas?

Glennbo
09-03-2004, 05:09
How about just writing a paragraph each on the same thread, with an agreed upon number of posts to pass (maybe five?) before you can contribute again?

Miss Maggie
09-03-2004, 08:46
This sounds like a great idea, but a paragraph might not be enough to allow since a single line of dialogue could use that up. Yet a chapter would be a bit long. Maybe we could compromise with something like a limit on the word count. That would encourage tight writing as well. Maybe we could have more than one story going at the same time, too.

MrsKitty
09-03-2004, 09:14
I think we should set the limit for what it takes to get your scene (for lack of a better word...) across. If it is a section with dialoge, it will have many chapters. Whereas if it is mainly description, it will be shorter, per say. Keep in mind, I am talking within reason for legnth. Not 200,000 words or anything of that nature ;)

Nephilim
09-03-2004, 12:53
I definately think a limit on word count is in order. For several reasons... as mentioned it encourages tight writing. Having concise writing is something we should all strive for. Verbosity is not good writing, and long flowery language is not good writing. If you take into account tenses, inflections, and multiple meanings of words... the english language has absorbed so many words over the years that there are around 750,000 usable words. Thats almost a million words. I can promise you that any wordy sentence you can writer can be reduced to fraction of its length if you employ tight grammar and the immense amount of words available.

Another reason for limiting the wordcount would be to limit the amount of influence any one writer has over the course of the dialogue. If ten people particpate and one of them writes 9 out of 10 posts... then that person pretty much directs the action. If thats agreed upon ahead of time, then it matters little... but if the thread was meant to be more of a round robin... one page each ordeal... thats not entirely fair to the other writers.

Glennbo
09-04-2004, 00:33
How about 300-400 words each? We're all going to be feeding off each others posts, right? So we don't want any one person to change the flow too drastically with a thousand plus words, going off on a tangent. What if some smart aleck breaks into the thread and tries to ruin it; especially if word gets out that its really good (as I'm sure it will be) and the spoil-sports show up? We used to do this at a place where I worked, and there soon developed two types of writers: one that went off on wierd tangents (the wreckers), and those who tried to patch up the damage they did and bring the story back on track (the healers). The wreckers had more fun (I did both).

Glennbo
09-04-2004, 00:37
...one more thing. The person who starts the story should be someone reliable because it may be the most important post. Not because there's some "right" way to do it, but because there are so many wrong ways to do it. It could be a stillbirth.

tous
09-04-2004, 11:52
We can begin with:

I was a night, dark ... and stormy.

or perhaps, Call me EMail. :)

Would a list of characters and their relationships be a good place to begin?

Nephilim
09-04-2004, 12:23
All excellent ideas.

The 300-400 word count might be appropriate... but 300 words isn't very much (I'll make a mark in my post when I've reached 300 words)

I hadn't even thought of the idea of someone participating just to wreck the story line.

It might be a good idea to have someone start the first story thread who can give it a solid beginning... just to get the venture off the ground.

As for a character list... I'm not sure how I feel about that. It limits the introduction of interesting characters after the fact... and it builds expectations. People will inevitably start writing out the characters in their head, and then might be upset when the characters are written differently. Perhaps the first poster can set the tone for a main character or two and then creativity can rule from there.

Timber Wolf
09-04-2004, 16:45
Originally posted by Nephilim
Hi guys... this sounds like a great idea for a continual writing excercise. Would you like it to start in this thread, or do you want a new fresh thread with the guidelines posted at the beginning of the thread? I'd be happy to start one :)

How about we use this thread to hash out some ideas?

I'm going to say let's start another thread with the story in it. Let's do some character development like you were talking about in your other thread. And hash out some ideas in this thread.


Originally posted by Glennbo
How about just writing a paragraph each on the same thread, with an agreed upon number of posts to pass (maybe five?) before you can contribute again?

When I said "chapter," I really meant a few pages, but yeah somewhere in the neighborhood of a few paragraphs.

Originally posted by misskitty5077
I think we should set the limit for what it takes to get your scene (for lack of a better word...) across. If it is a section with dialoge, it will have many chapters. Whereas if it is mainly description, it will be shorter, per say. Keep in mind, I am talking within reason for legnth. Not 200,000 words or anything of that nature ;)

Yeah, what she said.



Originally posted by Glennbo
How about 300-400 words each? We're all going to be feeding off each others posts, right? So we don't want any one person to change the flow too drastically with a thousand plus words, going off on a tangent.

Yes, that's correct.

What if some smart aleck breaks into the thread and tries to ruin it; especially if word gets out that its really good (as I'm sure it will be) and the spoil-sports show up? We used to do this at a place where I worked, and there soon developed two types of writers: one that went off on wierd tangents (the wreckers), and those who tried to patch up the damage they did and bring the story back on track (the healers). The wreckers had more fun (I did both).


That's what mods are for. Right?? OR we could look at it this way - how to edit and rewrite the story later.


Originally posted by Nephilim


....

As for a character list... I'm not sure how I feel about that. It limits the introduction of interesting characters after the fact... and it builds expectations. People will inevitably start writing out the characters in their head, and then might be upset when the characters are written differently. Perhaps the first poster can set the tone for a main character or two and then creativity can rule from there.



I think as we develop characters we should use this thread (or start an extra side thread for each story we try to do - not all of us are going to want to participate in every genre), to discuss what the originator of a character had in mind when they developed said character. If you originate a character then you can decide who he/she/it is, etc., but you have to play by the rules when you use someone elses character.

Timber Wolf
09-08-2004, 14:18
So, who's gonna start?? I've got an idea kicking around from an old college assignment. Need to work on it some more though, I think.

One question we need to ask is what viewpoint - maybe we should start a thread on just viewpoints. First person, third person omniscient, etc., etc.??

farranger
09-08-2004, 21:57
I'm in. Kyle

Glennbo
09-09-2004, 00:46
Originally posted by Timber Wolf
So, who's gonna start?? I've got an idea kicking around from an old college assignment. It's your baby so you start it. This isn't War and Peace we're writing here, so let's just get on with it and start having fun.

richardh247
09-30-2004, 07:51
I'd love to play, but it seems this is not the most-visited forum :cool:

Is anyone still interested in doing this?

Timber Wolf
09-30-2004, 13:04
Originally posted by richardh247
I'd love to play, but it seems this is not the most-visited forum :cool:

Is anyone still interested in doing this?

Yes, but I just got a new job, that I've been tring to get ready for. Don't leave it up to me to start. This goes for everybody not just you richardh247. I've got an old story from college, I want to try to re-work it and then I'll see about posting it as a beginning.

richardh247
09-30-2004, 13:17
Originally posted by Timber Wolf
Yes, but I just got a new job, that I've been tring to get ready for. Don't leave it up to me to start. This goes for everybody not just you richardh247. I've got an old story from college, I want to try to re-work it and then I'll see about posting it as a beginning.

So do you want us to wait for your story to begin, or are you saying to start? LOL, I write well but am pretty dense, LOL. Either way, I am excited to be honing my skills with a bunch of others who share my political views and gun owner resonsibilities. We might have a multi-author work worth publishing... you never know!

MrsKitty
09-30-2004, 13:42
I'll start...




















It was a dark and stormy night....

;f ;f ;f ;f ;f

richardh247
09-30-2004, 13:46
[QUOTE]Originally posted by misskitty5077
[B]I'll start...
























It was a dark and stormy night....

;P ;z ;z ;z ;P

OK, we'll go with that...

"And the soiled tatters of once operable roadways trembled at the approach of new, impending vehicular traffic as felt from afar...."

;z ;c ;z ;c

Miss Maggie
09-30-2004, 20:25
And the turtle on the white line panicked.

richardh247
09-30-2004, 21:31
That, however, bothered not (nor was mentioned) the film of attitude expected from the callous roadway; in true form its business complete, expectations in arrival, the tale wound and turned as the twist plotted to confound the runner. Yet the road remained solidified and complacent, the attribute to which its creator had named it for such, the tool in the hands of the user.

Clasped within the asphault attitude stood the detrimental; to serve and, yet, survive. Creation meant to servitude, reliance of abuse, surface eroded in tasks complete. To what end would one find justice or, given the assignment, completion? The film erased in deteroriation, victors would be on both sides this night.

Miss Maggie
10-01-2004, 09:39
And the turtle shook his head.

richardh247
10-01-2004, 09:40
;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

You go, girl! ;c

MrsKitty
10-01-2004, 21:37
Slowly, the turtle plodded on across the white line.

Miss Maggie
10-02-2004, 11:20
Maybe it’s time for 1st rewrite.
Ok, what have we got so far?

Post 1—Miss Kitty: It was a dark and stormy night....

Post 2—richardh247: And the soiled tatters of once operable roadways trembled at the approach of new, impending vehicular traffic as felt from afar...."

Post 3—Miss Maggie: And the turtle on the white line panicked.

Post 4—richardh247: That, however, bothered not (nor was mentioned) the film of attitude expected from the callous roadway; in true form its business complete, expectations in arrival, the tale wound and turned as the twist plotted to confound the runner. Yet the road remained solidified and complacent, the attribute to which its creator had named it for such, the tool in the hands of the user.
Clasped within the asphault attitude stood the detrimental; to serve and, yet, survive. Creation meant to servitude, reliance of abuse, surface eroded in tasks complete. To what end would one find justice or, given the assignment, completion? The film erased in deteroriation, victors would be on both sides this night.

Post 5—Miss Maggie: And the turtle shook his head.

Post 6. Slowly, the turtle plodded on across the white line.


Maybe it’s time to get rid of clichés, add action, emotion and description, and sort of blend our different writing styles together a little. Also, maybe we don’t need to decide right off the bat that all involved will be victors. Leave a little something for the suspense. Here’s my attempt to unify on what we’ve got so far:

A bolt of lighting flashed through the night sky and thunder shook the distant hills. An old abandoned roadbed winding through deserted villages quaked at the approach of some new form of vehicular traffic. Or maybe it was a leftover conveyance from a long- forgotten past.
Having grown unaccustomed to the shutter of the land as traffic approached, a panicked turtle paused on the remains of a faded white line. The calloused roadway paid no mind, remaining solidified and complacent in the presence of its determination to serve and survive.
Clasped somewhere hidden beneath the unyielding, though broken, asphalt dwelled a presence loyal to the attributes its creator had named it for. Would both creator and turtle be victors this night?
Sensing a strange new foreboding, the turtle shook his head. Slowly he plodded across the white line.


OK. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? CONTINUE? OR IS IT TIME FOR A SECOND REWRITE? REMEMBER, SUCCESSFUL WRITING COMES IN THE REWRITES. MISS MAGGIE

richardh247
10-02-2004, 11:40
Originally posted by Miss Maggie
Maybe it’s time for 1st rewrite.
Ok, what have we got so far?

Post 1—Miss Kitty: It was a dark and stormy night....

Post 2—richardh247: And the soiled tatters of once operable roadways trembled at the approach of new, impending vehicular traffic as felt from afar...."

Post 3—Miss Maggie: And the turtle on the white line panicked.

Post 4—richardh247: That, however, bothered not (nor was mentioned) the film of attitude expected from the callous roadway; in true form its business complete, expectations in arrival, the tale wound and turned as the twist plotted to confound the runner. Yet the road remained solidified and complacent, the attribute to which its creator had named it for such, the tool in the hands of the user.
Clasped within the asphault attitude stood the detrimental; to serve and, yet, survive. Creation meant to servitude, reliance of abuse, surface eroded in tasks complete. To what end would one find justice or, given the assignment, completion? The film erased in deteroriation, victors would be on both sides this night.

Post 5—Miss Maggie: And the turtle shook his head.

Post 6. Slowly, the turtle plodded on across the white line.


Maybe it’s time to get rid of clichés, add action, emotion and description, and sort of blend our different writing styles together a little. Also, maybe we don’t need to decide right off the bat that all involved will be victors. Leave a little something for the suspense. Here’s my attempt to unify on what we’ve got so far:

A bolt of lighting flashed through the night sky and thunder shook the distant hills. An old abandoned roadbed winding through deserted villages quaked at the approach of some new form of vehicular traffic. Or maybe it was a leftover conveyance from a long- forgotten past.
Having grown unaccustomed to the shutter of the land as traffic approached, a panicked turtle paused on the remains of a faded white line. The calloused roadway paid no mind, remaining solidified and complacent in the presence of its determination to serve and survive.
Clasped somewhere hidden beneath the unyielding, though broken, asphalt dwelled a presence loyal to the attributes its creator had named it for. Would both creator and turtle be victors this night?
Sensing a strange new foreboding, the turtle shook his head. Slowly he plodded across the white line.


OK. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? CONTINUE? OR IS IT TIME FOR A SECOND REWRITE? REMEMBER, SUCCESSFUL WRITING COMES IN THE REWRITES. MISS MAGGIE


Um, I'm pretty certain we were just kidding, waiting for another to join in and provide some ideas, LOL

MrsKitty
10-02-2004, 11:58
Originally posted by richardh247
Um, I'm pretty certain we were just kidding, waiting for another to join in and provide some ideas, LOL

I wasn't kidding. I like the turtle :)

Let's continue ;)

Miss Maggie
10-02-2004, 22:32
Originally posted by richardh247
Um, I'm pretty certain we were just kidding, waiting for another to join in and provide some ideas, LOL


I wasn’t kidding. I was trying to turn our posts into a story.

Why would anyone take us seriously and offer ideas if we're just kidding?

How can they provide ideas when they’re not posting? If we are not planning on trying to do anything, why should they post? Why should we post?

Besides all that, MissKitty liked the turtle. I kind of liked him, too.
:) :) :)

richardh247
10-03-2004, 10:07
I liked the turtle, also! I think I got a wee bit confused with Miss Magie and Miss Kittie. OOPS, my bad! Really want to turn this into story? Heck, I am all for it! I was just playing around with descriptive word analogies that were occlusive to the subject. Once again, my bad.

Since they were mostly one-liners, I thought she was kidding around, as well. I will definately put a curb on the ambigious descriptions! I've always enjoyed playing the "adjective game" and thought we were being fecitious (sp). Since I tutor Creative Writing I guess my blind side of natural response insinctively created a prose joke. My apologies, ladies.

So do we have at least a theme, if not a title? So far the characters involve a turtle (cute little guy), a well-worn road fed up with years of abuse and disrepair, and lines that remain neutral. Add in the impending traffic not seen in quite some unspecified time, and I think this could be really cool!

Any comments on how to proceed?

MrsKitty
10-03-2004, 18:20
Now that you are as confused as the poor turtle.... :)

I like the turtle. I always stop and get turtles out of the road if I can safely do so. Somebody could set the turtle out of the road or even relocate him to a creek somewhere... Something has to happen to the turtle and I don't want turtle soup ;)

Our turtle could be relocated to a creek where he stumbles upon a body somebody dumped and eats it....things could get interesting there....

Or we can move into the turtle's head and give him some emotions and ideas! That could be interesting! How does a turtle see the world?

Does our turtle need a friend? Something to keep him company or is he a loner?

Miss Maggie
10-03-2004, 21:22
[QUOTE]Originally posted by richardh247
[B]I liked the turtle, also! I think I got a wee bit confused with Miss Magie and Miss Kittie. OOPS, my bad! Really want to turn this into story? Heck, I am all for it! I was just playing around with descriptive word analogies that were occlusive to the subject. Once again, my bad.

Since they were mostly one-liners, I thought she was kidding around, as well. I will definately put a curb on the ambigious descriptions! I've always enjoyed playing the "adjective game" and thought we were being fecitious (sp). Since I tutor Creative Writing I guess my blind side of natural response insinctively created a prose joke. My apologies, ladies.

So do we have at least a theme, if not a title? So far the characters involve a turtle (cute little guy), a well-worn road fed up with years of abuse and disrepair, and lines that remain neutral. Add in the impending traffic not seen in quite some unspecified time, and I think this could be really cool!


Actually I’ll have to confess I did start out kidding when I posted the first turtle line. After the big words, I wanted to come back with something simple. I couldn’t decide if you were trying to pull our legs with your post or not. I’ve known other writers who purposely wrote convoluted sentences, seriously thinking that complicated wording was better, and I always have my own battles, wanting to use adjectives more abundantly than I should. Thus, I took your story post seriously. At the same time, I remembered reading some of your beautifully written posts on other threads and that made me wonder more than ever what you were doing in this thread.

Then I got to thinking if we just used our thread to kid around, we might sabotage any of our own future efforts to take each other seriously in any other story threads we start. Thus, I tried to turn our little effort into a semblance of a real story before we turned the entire thread into a joke.

The way I see our little scenario is that something has already happened, not sure what, but we can figure that out as we go, depends on how our story unfolds. Could it be that the road is not just worn, but totally untraveled because of some past catastrophe? The surprising approach of a motor vehicle startles the turtle and sends it on its way.

I think MissKitty’s idea that the turtle stumble on a body could prove interesting. An incident like that happened around here in the recent past. Turtles actually picked a missing person’s body clean. I don’t think the turtle is the main part of the story, but we started with it, and we might want to figure it in our plot.

Maybe others will want to join in this effort with us and offer more suggestions. If not, the three of us can write on.

Londo Mollari
10-17-2004, 19:33
The turtle cried.... "Splinter!" ;f

MrsKitty
10-17-2004, 22:25
;z ;z ;z ;z

Looking up, the turtle noticed headlights in the distance.

CorBoninthepipe
11-11-2004, 20:46
Are ya'll friggin' nuts? Forget all the big words, glitzy and unnecessary adjectives. Give your reader a vision. Best selling authors, e.g., Clancy, King and Patterson are adept at this.

The figure in the shadows of gnarled and menacing post oaks watched the purposeful movement of the creature. The turtle's innocence far outweighed any inclination to defend itself from the predators found on the road.

Wish life were so easy, he mused, chuckling under his breath. Maybe he should have an extra small "No Fear" t-shirt protecting his shell and short legs.

To hell with white men -- turtles for sure can't jump!

His chuckling turned into a rauchous laughter meant only for himself.

Headlights suddenly appeared coming through a far turn like a lazy sunset, rewound and fast forwarded.

Fear can't exist if you've never confronted it.

As the headlights grew in size, the driver admonished the dims, in favor of the brights. Bluish, whitish halos mesmerized the turtle, like most road kill, into an expectation of a premature morning sun.

"Bet ya' don't make it litle sucker." He said, grinning with anticipation.

The hypnotic state if the innocent turned into wonderment as the incandescence announcing the predator morphed into a sharp glare. But still no fear.

He roared in a deep belly laugh, "Little guy, ever read, "Race to the Out House." by Willie Makeit," and was barely able to get the words out, "and illustrated by...Betty Wont?"

There was a simple "splat" and at the same time he said, "Splat!" barely containing himself.

"Betty Wont, Betty Wont, bet he won't and the little dumb **** didn't!" he roared.

And the night was dark and stormy.




:cool:

Glennbo
11-20-2004, 01:01
A voice spoke from the deeper shadows behind him. "You just stood there and watched that turtle die. You think it's funny." It was neither accusitory nor reproachful, merely flat, cold, and emotionless. "I like turtles," it continued. "Why didn't you save it then?" the now frightened road watcher countered, still unable to see this unknown witness. "Too busy watching you," he answered, "but I'm done watching..."

CaliTheKid
12-07-2004, 00:30
A pregnant beat of silent. Then, from the darkness, a small object emerges flying through the air catching an occasional glint from the ambient moonlight as it sails towards the road watcher end over end. Instinctively, he raises a hand and catches it defensively. Reveal: It's a cell phone. The voice from the darkness: "We'll be in touch". The road watcher pauses for a moment, scanning the darkness straining to see or hear anything. Silence save the hum of the power lines above. He then turns his attention and considers the phone. He thumbs the power button, curiosity getting the best of him, he fires it up. The phone jumps to life cycling through the usual symbols and tones and then rests at the ready. The watcher stares at the phone, his eyes narrowing. On the display screen we see a graphic. It's a turtle. Turning his gaze back up into the darkness, a once fearful and meek expression gives way to a sinister smile slowly creeping across his face. "Yes we will".

manonmars
12-29-2004, 11:32
?

MrsKitty
01-04-2005, 22:46
Originally posted by CaliTheKid
A pregnant beat of silent. Then, from the darkness, a small object emerges flying through the air catching an occasional glint from the ambient moonlight as it sails towards the road watcher end over end. Instinctively, he raises a hand and catches it defensively. Reveal: It's a cell phone. The voice from the darkness: "We'll be in touch". The road watcher pauses for a moment, scanning the darkness straining to see or hear anything. Silence save the hum of the power lines above. He then turns his attention and considers the phone. He thumbs the power button, curiosity getting the best of him, he fires it up. The phone jumps to life cycling through the usual symbols and tones and then rests at the ready. The watcher stares at the phone, his eyes narrowing. On the display screen we see a graphic. It's a turtle. Turning his gaze back up into the darkness, a once fearful and meek expression gives way to a sinister smile slowly creeping across his face. "Yes we will".

He turns the phone over in his hand as it rings...

Glennbo
01-29-2005, 01:38
Originally posted by misskitty5077
He turns the phone over in his hand as it rings... He answers. There's silence. Then the sound of a car approaching. The tires. The sound rises, then swishes away. At it's peak...a crunching, squishing sound. There is a pause, then the sound over the phone of another car approaching. It sounds different. It's a different car. The scrunching sound at the car's passing has varied slightly. Then he's doused with the shock of understanding: these are the sounds of different cars running over different turtles!