Selling used gear [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Selling used gear

Wayne02
09-01-2004, 09:33
I'm selling my sons xr80, and a complete set of riding gear - nice helmet, pants, boots, gear bag etc.

What is the best outlet to sell used bikes? Ebay? (I'm not willing to ship so it would have to be local pickup). Local nickel paper? Local daily paper? Cycle trader? I imagine the local bike shops probably have a bulletin board. Wonder if it's worth it to post it there as well?

Should I try and sell the gear individually, or list it as a set? Is ebay good for this type of stuff, or should I try the local papers? I suppose I could wait and see who buys the bike, and offer the gear for an extra $100 or something. Just looking for a backup plan to unload the gear in the event it doesn't sell with the bike.

Wayne

BrianM_G21
09-01-2004, 16:55
In my experiences (out of work mechanice who buys bikes cheap in the off-season then sells them in prime season), ebay will usually get your bike gone in a hurry, but at a pretty good loss over the real world value. Cycle trader provides the best results for myself, I always sell within a month and typically with zero haggling. I always look at the local bulliten boards too though, as well as the nickle papers. I never look at newspapers, or place in them ~ couldn't tell you what might happen (things always seem overpriced whenever I glance).

As for the gear, that is something you can sell on ebay without much problem if the buyer doesn't want the stuff. Expect to sell for right arround 1/2 (or less) what it cost new, and you'll probably be stuck with the helmet. I don't know many people who trust their head to a used helmet.

Good luck selling.