Probably witnessed the highlight of my career today... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Probably witnessed the highlight of my career today...

actionpup
09-01-2004, 17:50
I was privileged to witness an incredibly special event today and just have to share it with some vets who will appreciate it. I'm not sure it will be topped and is likely the highlight of my VA clinical career.

After staffing some cases, a colleague and I thought that it was possible that there were two vets who likely knew each other from Vietnam. In hearing their experiences in the Vietnam theater we thought their paths had crossed in a big way. We got permission from each of them to meet and arranged for their getting together.

One had been a severely wounded POW and was later rescued by a special ops team. The other guy was...you guessed it...a medic in special ops team who helped rescued a group of POWs. As it turns out he was THE medic who patched this ex-POW up and stuck with him through the process of escape and evasion.

Incredible!!! The guys could barely speak because of the emotions and tears. For that matter, I couldn't speak either. We were all very emotional and crying. Witnessing a reunion so special was just about too much to handle.

I will never forget this momentous occasion. What a wonderful event. As for their treatment...WOW, I don't think it gets much better for some seriously needed healing.
apup

Edited to add: Oh, I forgot to mention that these guys hadn't seen each other since the extraction. They had both thought the other dead but didn't know the name of the other to confirm.

williegee
09-01-2004, 20:32
Wow. That is too cool. Good work, actionpup!^c

G20man32904
09-01-2004, 21:09
Very nice Apup!!!
My hats off to both of them;f
;? ;? ;? ;? ;?

actionpup
09-01-2004, 21:26
Thinking about it again this evening and got emotional again. WOW...sometimes it is amazing how things work out. I have never been a believer of coincidence. These guys were meant to meet up again all these many years later. My heart goes out to both of them. ;?

Glad you both appreciated it.
apup

pizzaaguy
09-02-2004, 08:39
Originally posted by actionpup
These guys were meant to meet up again all these many years later.

Now they can help heal each other ;)

Amazing story, actionpup.

CarlosDJackal
09-03-2004, 16:53
That is increadible. One of our club member was a Medevac Aviator at one point (he became an Aeroscout then a LRRP later on). He had lost one of his Flight Medics when they got shot down and the medic was shot by a sniper while he was patching his pilot up.

For years he had been trying to locate this deceased Fligh Medic's family but his Mother had died and the only other family he was aware of was the Medic's biological father from germany. It seems that when they got a divorce, his (American) mother took him to the US with him where he grew up.

I don't know the details, but somehow just a couple of months ago, he finally located the brother of his Flight Medic. The guy was in the German Army and was visiting the US. He was finally able to present the brother with the flag that had been draped over his Flight Medic's casket at the funeral.

He and another member of the club brought him out to the range and had him shoot all sorts of Class III firearms. It was the closure he had been seeking for decades.

actionpup
09-03-2004, 20:50
Hey Carlos, that is so cool. It is so important to be able to gain some sort of closure with these traumatic events. I'm glad he was able to find his flight medic's brother. That must have been incredible to give his brother the flag that he had held on to for so long.

magsnubby
09-04-2004, 01:09
I had a friend that joined the marines right after graduation from Kerman High School in Kerman, Ca.. He was killed one afternoon in Oct of '68 in Quang Nam Province.

One day a salesman and his wife were in Ho Chi Minh City on business and came across a vendor selling dog tags. His wife knew what the dog tags would mean to a vetern or their families back in the US. She bought all the tags the vendor had.

After they got back home they gave the tags to their son, an Illinois state senator, who checked the information on the tags against a national archive of military personal. They've returned 7 tags so far.

Almost 35 years later his tags were returned to his mother.

RIP
Lance Cpl. Steven Palmquist