Tom B
09-03-2004, 05:43
Congrats now get on 2M ASAP!

GSD17
09-03-2004, 14:24
Not just 2m get on 50,144,220,440,etc etc etc... Use 220 before we lose it. :/

RaginCajun
09-04-2004, 13:45
I know this has been asked before, but I need some opinions on the best way to learn code.

Thanks,
Paul

teeuu
09-04-2004, 20:33
Originally posted by RaginCajun
I know this has been asked before, but I need some opinions on the best way to learn code.

I've some pretty strong opinions on this, so I'll comment...

People have been learning code since before radio, so the best methods are pretty established.

Learn code as you will be copying code.

If you are going to be taking your code test by listening to a tape while driving to work, so be it. But most tests are given with you sitting at a desk or table wearing headphones, and copying by writing on a piece of paper. So, learn code by sitting at a desk or table, wearing headphones, and writing on a piece of paper. In the military, you'd learn by sitting with headphones at a typewriter-type keyboard, because that's how those folks work.

Only work on new characters 30 min a day, max.

Your mind can only absorb so much at a time. Any further effort won't "stick" and you'll just get frustrated. You can practice the characters you have already learned as much as you want, by listening or sending, but limit learning new characters to 30 minutes a day.

Don't get hung up on getting it perfect.

If you're learning from a 5wpm tape, as they send the strings of characters and you are copying them, you'll miss some. This is normal. Your copying will never be perfect at the speed you're learning at. Push yourself on when you have about 85% or so right. Later, when your speed grows to 8 or 10 wpm, you can then go back to 5 wpm and *then* your copy will be perfect. But it's never perfect at the speed you're learning - and it doesn't have to be. Lots of folks get hung up on this and go over the same part of the tape over and over, finally get frustrated, and give up saying "I'm just one of those people who can't learn code.", which is nonsense. But lots of folks can't teach themselves, which is much more common. You could take these same folks, put them in a code class, and they'd learn the code with no problem. But the "trying to get it perfect" is one of the most common reasons folks get frustrated & give up.

No matter what method you use to learn the code, if a blind person couldn't do it, it's wrong.

This includes computer programs which beep the computer speaker and then put a big "A" on the screen. You learn code with your ears, not your eyes. These programs might be great to increase your speed, or to practice for a test. But, to initially learn the characters, you should learn using some method which does not require you to *look* at anything. If a blind person couldn't learn using the method you're using, then you shouldn't be learning that way. It might even work for you, but you're going to have to work a lot harder than using tried-and-true methods.

...So, get a set of tapes or a CD (The ones done by Gordon West are very good), plug in headphones to your portable player, sit down with a pencil & pad of paper, and go to town. You should easily be able to pass your test within a month.

And, heck, you might even find that it's fun! :)

KennyC
09-05-2004, 03:57
Good advice so far. Once you've got the basics down, for increasing speed, I've found there's nothing better than to use W1AW's over the air code practice sessions.

KAC
WB0E

Oh, congrats on the Tech!!!

uhlawpup
09-05-2004, 12:18
Originally posted by KennyC
Good advice so far. Once you've got the basics down, for increasing speed, I've found there's nothing better than to use W1AW's over the air code practice sessions.

KAC
WB0E

Oh, congrats on the Tech!!!

Absolutely right, Kenny!

I went all the way to my Extra, British Class A (which I still hold), and my 2nd Class commercial license using W1AW. Of course, you've got to hold a few QSOs, too, but that will come with time.

Good luck.

teeuu
09-05-2004, 12:55
My apologies for getting so caught up in my sermon that I forgot to send my congratulations on passing your test.

Welcome to the ranks of Amateur Radio, my friend. I'm sure you'll find it to be both fun and educational, and meet lots of nice folks along the way.

A good beginning is a great start, and you're already there! :)

And don't forget to let us know your callsign when it's issued!

73 de K7RTT

RaginCajun
09-08-2004, 19:40
teenu and the gang,

Thanks for taking the time writing that reply (sermon) to my question. All I need now is the cash to get a dual band mobile. If any of you guys have seen my posts in the other forums you will know that I just recently went through a nasty breakup with my ex-fiancée. I took this exam for the simple reason that she always said that I should not because it would cost too much money.

My late grandfather and uncle were both hams and it was something I always wanted to do. I would like to get my grandfather's old call sign if it is still available, but I have no idea what it was or how to look it up.

Thanks again,
Paul
KE5CMU

P.S. My grandfather's name was Manuel Goulart and he lived in Springfield, MO

centronix
09-09-2004, 08:14
Originally posted by RaginCajun
P.S. My grandfather's name was Manuel Goulart and he lived in Springfield, MO

The ONLY reference I can find to a "Manual Goulart" is listed on the ARRL web site. Click here for that page (http://www.arrl.org/awards/a1-op/roster/bynameG.html). This site lists the call as W0AH.

Unfortunately, QRZ shows that W0AH is now owned by one Douglas Allan.

Not sure if this info is in fact your Grandfather, but would give you a starting point at least.

Seventy-Trees,
cent

RaginCajun
09-09-2004, 13:10
Roger that. BTW that was his call sign.

centronix
09-09-2004, 13:23
Good deal! Glad my bordem at work helped someone out! :)

I forgot to congrat you on passing your test! Watch out, gear becomes very addictive. I started out only wanting something I could use while mobile, and to use doing volunteer communications. A few years, two shacks, ten or so transcivers, four handy talkies, God-only-knows how many constructed antennas later, and I'm still not content!

Hehe, a buddy of mine recently divorced, and one of the main reasons was his wife's inability to support or understand his obsession with the hobby. But like he said, at least he can turn the radios off and get some piece and quiet!

Again, congrats and welcome!

cent

00Buck
09-10-2004, 22:55
Congratulations, I haven't kept up, do you get any HF privileges? I think you get 10 meters and there won’t be much going on there for a few years but it is a blast when it is opens up again. There is still plenty to do in VHF/UHF so have fun. Good luck with the code there are lots of options these days. Be sure to post questions when they come up, there are a few knowledgeable folks on the board and most hams are great at helping out.

EUPHER49
09-11-2004, 13:17
...privileges unless one has Element 1. (5WPM) Then you get what the old novice class had. Pass the General and then start to have fun...